2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
NHL: Let's establish a Salary Cap in 2005

Flyers: Hello! It is 2024 and we desire to maximize cap hits. Higher is better right? Bigger number good. This has never worked before but I think it will now.

There's someone in that front office right now explaining that trying to skirt the edges of the rules is against the way of the samurai. It is honorable to throw shit at the wall and hope your way to success.

OH GOD IS THIS WHY THEY TALK ABOUT NOT TANKING? I want everyone in that front office who owns a katana fired.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What the hell are we doing with our lives? This can't all be happening because I played for this dopey org's youth league. Why can't I stop?

“There has been much criticism of our approach. There will be more. A competitive league like the NHL necessitates a zig while our competitors comfortably zag.”

-Keith Jones

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's someone in that front office right now explaining that trying to skirt the edges of the rules is against the way of the samurai. It is honorable to throw shit at the wall and hope your way to success.

OH GOD IS THIS WHY THEY TALK ABOUT NOT TANKING? I want everyone in that front office who owns a katana fired.

When the US went to arrest Tojo, he shot himself in the chest. The US Army said "Oh no you don't! You can't kill yourself before we kill you!" and resuscitated/healed him so he could be executed.

This mirrors Sean Couturier's career.

Last edited:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I want everyone in that front office who owns a katana fired.
Or to really stick to honour and tradition.

giphy.gif

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Depends on the player.
I'm not giving an 8 year deal without a couple full seasons to evaluate the player.

But if we're talking 20-22 for an ELC, 23-24 for first bridge, and 25-32 for the big contract, that's close to perfect. Michkov may get his 8 year deal at 22. At worst, 2 year bridge then pay him at 24.

TK was tougher, I'd probably have moved him, but the timing is such that he'll get his 8 year deal at 28, if they signed a similar FA, odds are it's a 7 year deal at 29. So to me it precludes a big FA signing.
No, it does not in any way shape or form. If they can find a top ed player to come here, they will pursue him The CO-GM and POHO have both said this much.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tortorella said this about Drysdale last night: "I don't think he knows how to play."

So, we also don't forget if/when blame gets shuffled off:

Imagine targeting an oft injured fit player because of his bridgeable cap situation by trading your recent 5th overall pick whose value was at it's highest.

It doesn't get more billion dollar lemonade stand than this. These are woefully inadequate unqualified people.

A bridge deal -- aka a 2nd contract -- for a rebuilding team, with cap space, that will not be remotely competitive during said bridge deal, for a player who is still not yielding positive value. At the expense of one of the more valuable ELCs in the league. Things could change, but the idea of Drysdale being a quasi-UFA by 2026 is horrifying in many different scenarios.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella said this about Drysdale last night: "I don't think he knows how to play."

So, we also don't forget if/when blame gets shuffled off:

It doesn't get more billion dollar lemonade stand than this. These are woefully inadequate unqualified people.

A bridge deal -- aka a 2nd contract -- for a rebuilding team, with cap space, that will not be remotely competitive during said bridge deal, for a player who is still not yielding positive value. At the expense of one of the more valuable ELCs in the league. Things could change, but the idea of Drysdale being a quasi-UFA by 2026 is horrifying in many different scenarios.

Huh.

Gauither had to be traded, the alternative was to force him to play in college for two more years before he could go UFA just to screw him.

And like Fox, once the league knows you're backed into the corner, you're not going to get full value.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Tortorella was super candid innhis presser today:

" Drysdale doesn't know how to play the game yet, so we have to teach him how".

I know what he meant but it was super direct. You can't have thin skin with Torts.
Tortorella makes my ass tired. “Drysdale doesn’t know how to play the game yet.” Like Tortorella invented the game and no one can play it without his instructions. The guys is so full of himself. I can’t wait until his act is sent packing.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Huh.

Gauither had to be traded, the alternative was to force him to play in college for two more years before he could go UFA just to screw him.

And like Fox, once the league knows you're backed into the corner, you're not going to get full value.
Briere had 2 years to find a better deal for Gauthier but decided that wasn't necessary and got trigger happy to deal him.

He has zero patience as a GM. None.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella makes my ass tired. “Drysdale doesn’t know how to play the game yet.” Like Tortorella invented the game and no one can play it without his instructions. The guys is so full of himself. I can’t wait until his act is sent packing.
I just think he was being honest, probably would have said the same about Risto had someone asked him after his first TC. They knew when they traded for Drysdale it would take a year or two for Shaw to teach him the fundamentals he should have learned in Anaheim (talk about bad player development).

That's one of the things I like about Torts, none of these "cliche filled interviews."
I suspect the players like it to, though it probably takes a little time to get comfortable for a new player - but if you want to know where you stand, just ask him.

Good example is Ginning, we've all seen him struggle this month, Torts was straight forward, Andrae had a good camp, Ginning has not had a good camp. No mealy mouthed platitudes, no telling the fans what they saw was a mirage.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Huh.

Yeah, I mean, just look at the Jets in the same situation where everyone in the league (and the public sphere) knew Rutger McGroarty wasn't going to sign. They got totally raked over the coals by getting *checks notes* a comparable prospect who was 1 year younger.

I wonder how many phone calls Cheveldayoff had to make before accepting that meager deal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Huh.

You're only backed into a corner if nobody else wants him. His trade list was most of the league. He was willing to go basically anywhere. The Flyers chose this.

You really don't have to default to "Defend Management" over every single thing they do. It's really clear this was handled badly. It always was clear. It's not close to hindsight. This is a bad team in a bad place and they didn't get here because their management gets things right more often than they get things wrong. They get things wrong more often than right.

Reactions: BiggE

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
It's the Torts method. Destroy the kids confidence, sink him to a low he never thought possible, so low that he will want to quit hockey, then carry him to the river, baptize him in the waters of Torts and Shaw and rebuild him in the image of Mike Rathje.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

His trade list was 18-20 teams, my guy! That is not anything like Fox, a junior at Harvard with a 1 team trade list, which we discussed the other week. That is not a corner. I will bet you my life savings that if the Flyers asked for Olen Zellweger+2nd+, they could've gotten that better trade done with the Ducks alone.

I'm not saying I would've wanted a trade to extend beyond the draft. Gauthier could barely stomach the money lost from a few games his freshman year -- he was never a walk threat. Hence 18-20 teams. But I do agree, his value was at a peak between the WJC-2024 Draft. The Flyers waited 3 days in that window before they got their ideal trade. This was their ideal trade.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, I mean, just look at the Jets in the same situation where everyone in the league (and the public sphere) knew Rutger McGroarty wasn't going to sign. They got totally raked over the coals by getting *checks notes* a comparable prospect who was 1 year younger.

I wonder how many phone calls Cheveldayoff had to make before accepting that meager deal.
Did the jets get a pick also? I don’t know the exact deal.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

Alternatively, they can all commit seppuku.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They got totally raked over the coals by getting *checks notes* a comparable prospect who was 1 year younger.

This point bears so much emphasizing. The Jets got a player drafted 14th (the same spot, not that I care) who was a draft class younger for their holdout. I don't like Yager; I think they lost the trade in that sense. But that's my opinion, which has zippo to do with league valuations. In that sense, Yager's profile is rock solid.

The Flyers got a player who was 2 draft classes older already on his bridge deal, with injury/production issues. The team that passed on Buium would send you to the loony bin if you saw the entire list of trades they passed up from 18-20 teams.

Had to make sure Bob Murray felt part of the group.

Keith Jones said Murray's job is to travel anywhere he wants just to scout defensemen. Killing it, Bob. Killing it. We've had this discussion before, but a GM wants to be proven right about his draft pick. Drysdale has years of NHL data to cut through bias like that. The Flyers chose bias.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not saying I would've wanted a trade to extend beyond the draft. Gauthier could barely stomach the money lost from a few games his freshman year -- he was never a walk threat. Hence 18-20 teams. But I do agree, his value was at a peak between the WJC-2024 Draft. The Flyers waited 3 days in that window before they got their ideal trade. This was their ideal trade.
Needed that RHD for the playoff push. Without his 5 points in 24 games at -18, imagine where they would have ended up. :rolly:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: BiggE and Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad