2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We and every other fanbase in every sport do this every year in various ways. A week or two doesn’t completely flip an opinion on a player if your process is sound. That can be preseason or a playoff series. The mechanisms are different, but the problem is consistent.

It’s also worth noting that for the people that seem to care quite a bit about the strength of Guelph, Magua has correctly pointed out that they weren’t terrible just not particularly good. But they’re also heavily invested into 07 and 08s. There’s reason to hope for a rising talent level this season.

There are always anomalies, but by definition, they're rare.
It's not inconceivable that Luchanko is one, it's just highly improbable.

Because it's improbable, you should have a higher threshold, that is, he doesn't just have to hold his own, he need to excel in practice and the next few games against better competition.

The better the track record, the less the player needs to show in camp, because he's merely confirming what his resume says. But if he doesn't have a resume, he's better ace the "interview."

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Source? How’s the weather up there so far not so bad in Lakeland
Been reported by multiple sources including a statement released by the player’s agent.

Weather is fine here in Jacksonville, just a little rain and wind later today and tonight and a mild, 1-3ft, storm surge at high tide.

The coastal bend area on the other side of the state is going to be hit hard though. Lakeland should be far enough inland and south to avoid the worst of it, but watch out for flooding, especially at high tides. Stay safe!

• Wow
Reactions: Curufinwe

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Been reported by multiple sources including a statement released by the player’s agent.

Weather is fine here in Jacksonville, just a little rain and wind later today and tonight and a mild, 1-3ft, storm surge at high tide.

The coastal bend area on the other side of the state is going to be hit hard though. Lakeland should be far enough inland and south to avoid the worst of it, but watch out for flooding, especially at high tides. Stay safe!
i wonder how it will play out if he does come over now with torts..

you know he wont EVER play him

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
It seems like most of the Luchanko discussion is happening here, so I am gonna jot down my thoughts. First and foremost I was compelled to post because I am seeing a whole lot of hype on the site formerly known as Twitter and really some of these takes need reality checks. I will preface the post stating I was not high on the pick at the time soley because I did not view him to have the upside the Flyers seem to and if he was their guy I think they could have moved back further than 13 and still gotten him plus more capital. However, that stated, anything is possible I am higher on his potential now than previously.

This is where I am going dump some cold water. Below are the statements/sentiments I am going to address :

1. He is good enough to be our second line center right now! He was the best player on the ice in the preason game

2. It would be better for his development to play in the NHL level this season. He has developed all he can at the junior level

1)I acknowledge he looked pretty solid in the preason game with a couple points on the scoresheet in an NHL preseason game. I am also happy anyone mad at the pick may be feeling a little better about the future, but please take a peek at the roster Washington iced before going too far with it. It was essentially Sonny Milano and the chocolate Bears. That doesn't totally negate his performance, but come on. He didn't face a single top 6 NHL player, and some people are penciling him in there. Now, shift away from the opponents and peek at the his linemates(which will be TK & TF tonight so again I wouldn't have out the crown yet). He shared the ice with a 50 point established NHL player(A dude I'm hoping can take another step forward from that 50 this season) and a kid pushing to be an every game guy. Combine those linemates with the level of competition and yeah I think people need to chill. If Joel Farabee didn't produce I'd have been a bit concerned. Brink had something to prove. Luchanko just needed play good D and not F up the flow offensively and everyone would say wow, wonderful. And thats exactly what happened.

2)This one drives me Bananas. The statement that kills me most is, "nothing further to develop at the junior level". This kid barely hit a P/PG in the OHL and that equates to he has nothing left to develop in Juniors? Not to state the obvious, but...uh... most Future stars produce a whole lot better than that that in junior. As 15 year old Bedards team was bad and he was scoring at a 100 point pace. That is future star production. Just because he can be servicible in the NHL this season does not mean playing in the NHL would be a benefit to his development. It will be so much harder to develop his offensive impact, leadership, confidence, play driving, creativity, and more. Putting him in the NHL at this age is likely to stunt the growth of his game offensively. That will then lower the chances of him becoming a star in the league. The door won't be closed, but the balancing act that would need to occur to ensure his confidence level grows while being far the best dude on the roster would need to be performed at an Olympic Gymnast level. His chances becoming a star would be much better going back to Guelph and learning to not just be good, but Dominate the Junior level. He needs develop confidence that he is THE best player on the ice, not that he can be ONE OF the best guys on the ice. Lead his team to more wins than people think they are capable of and then not only make Canada's WJC team, but lead them. Be the best on a team of 1st round picks and lead them to a gold medal. That is mental development he can't get at the NHL level. Let him be and grow as "The Guy", because even if he made the roster there is not a chance he will be "The Guy" in any situation.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
funny thing is, i brought up in the first preseason thread what if he sticks who gets moved out and I got bitched at about it lol now look how this has unfolded and all I asked was a hypothetical

it comes down to if he can actually contribute and get better as time goes by..they have to make sure both offensively and defensively he wont be a black hole and not actually get better

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
Saw that Drew Doughty messed up his ankle last night and will be out for a while. It could be a fracture (2 months or so) or worse-ligaments or Achilles as well (season ending?). Kings could need a big RHD. Ristolainen come on down?
First thing I thought of too. Also loved Dewey wanted him in Orange and Black so bad when he was younger. LTIR his high cap hit and they suddenly have the space for Risto and Laughton :sarcasm:

Reactions: renberg

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Saw that Drew Doughty messed up his ankle last night and will be out for a while. It could be a fracture (2 months or so) or worse-ligaments or Achilles as well (season ending?). Kings could need a big RHD. Ristolainen come on down?

I don't see how the Kings can reasonably add Risto. They only have about a million in cap space available, and I don't think there's any contract they'd be inclined to send out to balance the scales. The only thing I can see making any sort of sense from a cap perspective if Doughty might return is the Flyers retaining 50% and adding assets to acquire Jeannot from them, and that would require them to want to move Jeannot. Maybe if Doughty's out the full year, they don't intend to resign Gavrikov, and are taking Risto into Doughty's money for this year and Gavrikov's for next year, but what are the odds of all of that?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I don't see how the Kings can reasonably add Risto. They only have about a million in cap space available, and I don't think there's any contract they'd be inclined to send out to balance the scales. The only thing I can see making any sort of sense from a cap perspective if Doughty might return is the Flyers retaining 50% and adding assets to acquire Jeannot from them, and that would require them to want to move Jeannot. Maybe if Doughty's out the full year, they don't intend to resign Gavrikov, and are taking Risto into Doughty's money for this year and Gavrikov's for next year, but what are the odds of all of that?
Doughty on LTIR creates a lot of space-$11M

ponder719

Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Doughty on LTIR creates a lot of space-$11M

But only if he stays there all season, and Risto isn't expiring for another two years after that. That's why I mentioned they'd have to know, beyond doubt, there was no chance Doughty returns at any point this year, and that they had a plan to afford Risto in future seasons.

ponder719

Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless you’re TB or LVGK and milk the system to it’s fullest.

Again, even then, that milking of the system requires the star player to not play in the regular season. I'd love to see it, I just really don't think that's how LA fixes their issue. I think if we are moving Risto, it's to someone like the Preds, where we send Risto and assets, retain at 50%, and they send us back a Fabbro or Lauzon, to make it roughly cap-neutral on their end for this year and possibly next. More I think about it, the more I think Nashville is almost exactly the target; they're in "add all the old guys" mode, Trotz seems to value the eye test more than analytics, and Risto is far from an analytics darling, they have a player they could move out to make the money work, and nobody else seems to be both in a position to add money and make a postseason run. Maybe Winnipeg, at a stretch?

On the subject of milking the system, though, the league really needs to implement a phantom cap for the postseason: just make sure the per-game cap hit of every player on the active roster is no greater than 1/82 the cap for each given game. No more circumvention, you have to be dressing a lineup that would be legal on any given day.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Kings will do what other teams do not named the Flyers. Use one of their younger defenders in Ontario

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Who was the last non top 10 pick to start in the NHL at center as an 18 year old?

I think it’s ROR in 2009 and Sillinger in 2021. ROR was a 2nd rounder, which is even weirder. I was negative on Sillinger the prospect, but no chance in hell he should’ve been anywhere near the NHL until his D+2/3.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
No I do have an opinion, I think he's played well enough to be in the mix. I am not banging the drum saying he HAS to make the team or that he SHOULDN'T make the team. It is just funny to me that for years we heard about how much the team hates youth (despite regularly playing young players) and now when they are possibly playing a 1st round draft pick it is now a conspiracy theory not that they hate young players, but that they want him to play for something relating to PR (I know you may not have said that but plenty have).

He may not be ready and he may not stick or he may have a bad year or he may not make the team at all. But he also may play well and fit just fine. Everything that I have seen and read seem to indicate he can hang and we'll see if he does. If he doesn't, then ok he either doesn't stick or make the team and the Flyers were wrong it happens all the time not something we aren't used to. He shouldn't be in the NHL simply because he was a first round pick and he shouldn't be sent back to Jrs. simply because he is young. You may have disagreed with decisions in the past when they didn't play youn guys when you thought they played well enough to be in the lineup and should have been in there, that's fine, and you may disagree now that Luchanko has played well enough. Also fine. But the idea that they HAVE TO or CAN'T have him in the lineup because he or any other player is young is stupid. If he is good enough to play he should play.

Idk we'll find out. He may not even make the team. He may not get more than 9 games. We'll see what happens.
You want to act opinionated but you don't have the guts to stake your name to any one opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad