2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Reading some of these Luchanko comments are bizarre. For the past several years it's been all about "why are we playing vets over kids?! Torts and the Flyers hate youth!" Now there's a chance our first rounder unexpectedly makes the team and people are upset because they want him to go back to Jrs because they think this is a PR stunt or trying to distract from something like not trading Laughton?

He's looked good from what I've seen and read. Not going to win the Calder or anything but isn't this what most people have clamoring for? But we want him sent down so Cates or Deslauriers or whomever can be in the lineup? You guys will complain about anything.
Hes not making the team cause hes ready, hes making the team as some PR stunt to show management are the smartest guys in the room. People want him sent down so he can work on his offensive game and grow his skills, instead of just being the teams 3rd line center.

edit :plus even if Luchanko makes it they will still trot out the shit ass vets and scratch Brink or Michkov.

Reactions: Shrike

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Reading some of these Luchanko comments are bizarre. For the past several years it's been all about "why are we playing vets over kids?! Torts and the Flyers hate youth!" Now there's a chance our first rounder unexpectedly makes the team and people are upset because they want him to go back to Jrs because they think this is a PR stunt or trying to distract from something like not trading Laughton?

He's looked good from what I've seen and read. Not going to win the Calder or anything but isn't this what most people have clamoring for? But we want him sent down so Cates or Deslauriers or whomever can be in the lineup? You guys will complain about anything.

Is he making the team because it's actually the best process and best thing for him? Or for a PR win for a management group that cares more about how they're perceived than anything else?

In the past, we have pushed for youth to play because it was the logical thing at the time, and no sooner. You don't need to pretend otherwise.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt it would have anything to do with PR, I mean what real impact would that have?

I think it's more a matter of how well he looked that first game, especially with Michkov.
But I also think they don't put a lot of weight on that showing.

Right now it's Cates v Laughton for 3C, he'd really have to knock their socks off to beat out those two, he would lose any tie. They'd have to project him as a 35 ES rookie, and that's a long shot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I doubt it would have anything to do with PR, I mean what real impact would that have?

I think it's more a matter of how well he looked that first game, especially with Michkov.

Right now it's Cates v Laughton for 3C, he'd really have to knock their socks off to beat out those two, he would lose any tie. They'd have to project him as a 35 ES rookie, and that's a long shot.

They just ran a massive PR blitz about a rebuild that they never intended to do, and later admitted was a lie.

Of course giving PR the priority over any actual hockey is on the table.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's PR even if he doesn't make the team. They're planting the narrative now. They'll act as if they got this steal in the draft and he was soooo close to making the NHL after just turning 18 and the future is bright.

Everything this team does has PR in mind. They hired a PoHO to "tell the story." Everything they do with the media is calculated. That's what matters the most to them. Hell, Keith Jones said during his first interview after being hired that he wants the Flyers to be the Eagles in that they're always talked about.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Someone asked why we needed a RHD. My point was we had no young D-men b/c we blew two oppportunities to nail one in that draft.

My take is this will resolve itself.

High probability is that Luchanko will be exposed as the competition gets tougher.

However, if he can show he belongs in the last 3 exhibition games (and if he plays in them it means they're thinking about it) against teams preparing for the season, then they might decide to keep him.

But this requires more than just showing up, he has to show he can play at a high level against NHL players - otherwise he doesn't move the needle and is better off in the CHL.
Hindsight is 20/20. Of course 6 years after the draft you can always say well we blew thar pick, this guy taken 5 picks later was soooo much better. It happens all the time. Hence, the Rangers and Giroux.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It's PR even if he doesn't make the team. They're planting the narrative now. They'll act as if they got this steal in the draft and he was soooo close to making the NHL after just turning 18 and the future is bright.

Everything this team does has PR in mind. They hired a PoHO to "tell the story." Everything they do with the media is calculated. That's what matters the most to them. Hell, Keith Jones said during his first interview after being hired that he wants the Flyers to be the Eagles in that they're always talked about.
This.
It’s all about tix, merch, buzz and ratings.
Comcast doesn’t know a Stanley Cup from a coffee cup, nor do they care.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep, . . .

Every team hypes their 1st rd picks, BFD.
Michkov gets all the attention this year, Luchanko is basically an after thought.

They posted a video of Risto stealing his lunch money in practice. Obviously a mistake that may get someone fired. :naughty:

People here jump on a vague rumor with no substantiation that makes zero sense.
Why would they think Luchanko was ready off one exhibition game against scrubs?
Now if he dominates in game 5, matched up against a solid NHL center, that story may develop legs.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep, . . .

Every team hypes their 1st rd picks, BFD.
Michkov gets all the attention this year, Luchanko is basically an after thought.

They posted a video of Risto stealing his lunch money in practice. Obviously a mistake that may get someone fired. :naughty:

People here jump on a vague rumor with no substantiation that makes zero sense.
Why would they think Luchanko was ready off one exhibition game against scrubs?
Now if he dominates in game 5, matched up against a solid NHL center, that story may develop legs.
You can't just discount every single media piece that doesn't agree with your point of view as a "vague rumor with no substantiation that makes zero sense."

Reactions: BiggE

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

No they wouldn't. Flyers do not rely on those stats.

The coach is here to win. That is his job. If he feels that this rookie can help in that area he will make a push to keep him on the roster. You really think he gives 1 iota about 2 years down the line.

Apply that same logic to the other CO-GM as knows he had about 4 years or so to turn it around.

Reactions: BiggE

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Johnson was needed for the stretch run, traded Walker, Seeler, Drysdale injured. Unless you wanted to see more of Staal!

The reason they brought him back was probably Briere looking at the AHL roster and going meh.
No one ready for prime time right now, maybe by spring?
I mean would you feel comfortable with Attard, Grans or Samson at RHD?

Why did they need a veteran D-man? Because Hextall blew two chances at landing a young starter in 2018. That's a fact. If he hits, maybe CF doesn't obtain Risto. Dominoes.
More lies.

Fletch didn't need to spend a 1st+on Risto....could have just kept the better player in Ghost.

And again....you want to blame the guy gone 6 years ago and not the guy who replaced him and had 5 years to do his thing...and he did. Or the current GM who could have added TONS of other D replacements better than Johnson.

Reactions: pit and BiggE

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The glee with which they’re evaluating a “skating drill” (whatever that means) is informative. It speaks to a good process.

I remember 2 months ago Luchanko’s supposed selling point was his birthday and rawness. I asked what about his development would change with those extra months, and questioned the rawness angle — to no reply. Now, his selling point is he’s one of the 3 most NHL ready prospects in his draft class. Makes you think.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You guys have to think like Jones and Briere.

Cates, Poehling and Laughton are underwhelming options for 3C, management took flak for passing on Buium, and their shiny new toy has impressed through camp.

I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to get him on the opening night roster, despite putting NHL regulars on the outside looking in.

I doubt Luchanko sticks around, but I'm fairly certain they're looking for reasons to keep him around.

It is a dangerous thing when you (ie, them) think you have the power to show you were right.

Last edited:

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Luchanko has looked great. It's not PR to believe that. He's earned the hype himself.

Now if they're going to slot him into the NHL just because he's good enough to make a mediocre team's mediocre center core rather than focus on his long-term development, that's a whole different concern.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I'm sure it's a great solace to a fanbase that has MISSED THE PLAYOFFS FOR THIRTEEN STRAIGHT SEASONS and has had their generational draft pick force a trade out of the organization that they've won more games than a rebuilding Flyers the last 3 seasons.
Who the hell ever said Eichel was a generational talent? I've never once heard or seen anyone say he was generational, they thought elite for sure but never generational, let's not continue to lie

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It feels like we collectively could use a reminder that being a mid 1st rounder means that you're a very good NHL prospect. When the narrative is about overdrafting a guy, we have a tendency to lose sight of that. Doubly so with an August birthday when the for his age positives get overstated.

He's supposed to look good in this setting. It's only good that he does. There are a minuscule number of freshly-turned 18 year olds who should be in the NHL. That's a wildly different conversation from looking good.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think a lot of the Luchanko hype is simply relief he's not a flop.

But looking good matched against centers who will be in the AHL this season, while certainly promising for a kid who just turned 18, is not the same as looking good against say a NHL 2C.

For Luchanko to help them win he has to be a better center than Cates, who had 28 ES points two years ago playing center along with elite defense. Cates was hurt last year but in the second half when he was healthy he was a similar player at LW.

While Laughton is a mediocre defender, he's also had 27 and 26 points at ES the last two years.
And both Cates and Laughton are part of the PK unit.

Now what are the odds Luchanko will play as well or better this season at 18?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Then he takes Ginning instead of Durzi or Addison.

Also...

Have to have some perspective, Ginning was #50, not exactly looking a "sure things" at that point in the draft.
We're talking #50, not exactly a slam dunk to garner a NHL starter.
I don't care who they could have taken, since that's water under the bridge

And sometimes it's just a matter of luck, Zamula could have been taken in the 7th rd by any team, Flyers took Westfalt, who probably had a 0.1% chance of ever making the NHL, and now the odds are even longer. Fortunately, Zamula fell into their laps (though scouting identified him).

So if Zamula makes it and Ginning doesn't, it's all good. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: WIP CALLER

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can't just discount every single media piece that doesn't agree with your point of view as a "vague rumor with no substantiation that makes zero sense."

That's real conclusive. "Got to see them play." Duh.
Bonk is already with Group 2.

Look, if Luchanko comes out in the last few exhibition games and outplays a legitimate NHL 2C a couple times, he SHOULD make the team. But wanna bet that happens?

What is more likely is matched against better competition it'll be obvious he's not NHL ready, like watching Risto take the puck away from him along the boards - board play is an example of skills that require both physical maturity and experience.

I'm just enjoying watching his speed and passing skills. He needs to develop a much better shot, he needs to learn how to play a physical game at both ends (learn leverage to hold his position, handle traffic in front of his own net, etc.), improve his anticipation, etc. If he's 3C next season, and 2C in 2026-27 I'd be very happy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're going to miss on some but you can't miss on too many.
Missing on Both JOB and Ginning was a big hit.

Hextall had 8 1sts, 6 2nd in 5 years, left from that group:
Sanheim, Provorov (trade value), TK, Frost, Farabee, 5 of 8 1sts, 0 of 6 2nds.
Hart was bad luck (or bad due diligence), but missed on the other 2nds.

Briere is not going to hit on all 6 this summer, but he needs to come out of this draft with (3) top 6/top 4 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad