2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
On the one hand, if the Flyers are determined to have a Deslauriers type -- which we know they are -- better to do it on the cheap.

On the other hand, please look at a calendar and stop thinking you need a BSB throwback.
This kid isn't good at all. ND at one time was a solid NHL player. He isn't in that class in any way!!! 100 others who should have had his spot. no value here at all.

wasn't an everyday player in fn juniors. did squat in the NAHL. Been watching him since his LI Royal days. He is a cement head so there is that. Will be interesting to see if/how many games he gets in LHV.

Reactions: BiggE

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Flyers propaganda working hard today. They’re talking about how big the crowds were today at Camp but most are leaving out the fact that they had a STH event there today.

They know what they’re doing so more power to ‘em.

The bigliest crowds. The best crowds. No one has ever seen crowds like this except you see it now, in the New Era of Orange. It's nice. They say it's the biggest even in the New Era. I don't know, that's just what they say. I see it, you see it. But they're all saying it!

I wonder, were people leaving early, too?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On the one hand, if the Flyers are determined to have a Deslauriers type -- which we know they are -- better to do it on the cheap.

On the other hand, please look at a calendar and stop thinking you need a BSB throwback.
You actually need these guys more in the AHL, which has a higher % of meatheads than the NHL.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The bigliest crowds. The best crowds. No one has ever seen crowds like this except you see it now, in the New Era of Orange. It's nice. They say it's the biggest even in the New Era. I don't know, that's just what they say. I see it, you see it. But they're all saying it!

IMG_0151.jpeg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
You actually need these guys more in the AHL, which has a higher % of meatheads than the NHL.
Continuing to claim this is the root cause of so much of this organization’s failures.

There is zero indication that the AHL is a more penalty prone league. Tucson led the league last year at around 1200 minutes, the NHL leaders were Florida and Anaheim at 1100.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

If the Flyers drafted and developed talent even half as well as they spew bullshit and propaganda they’d be working on their 4th or 5th straight Stanley Cup right now.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Grown men, strong men, come up to Jones with tears in their eyes saying ‘Thank you for saving our team.’

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I wonder what the plan is.

Tippett/Frost/Michkov
Foerster/Couts/TK
Farabee/Laughton/Brink
Cates/Poehling/Hathaway
Deslauriers

There's already no room for anyone else, and whichever player is with Laughton will have their offense neutered somewhat. That is absolutely not the best place for Farabee. But neither is it for Tippett or Foerster.

Same with Brink. But he's not playing above Michkov and TK.

Deslauriers is an absolute waste of a roster spot, and Hathaway would be a great 13th. Give guys like Lycksell or Abols a shot.

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Tippett/Frost/Michkov
Foerster/Couts/TK
Farabee/Laughton/Brink
Cates/Poehling/Hathaway
Deslauriers

There's already no room for anyone else, and whichever player is with Laughton will have their offense neutered somewhat. That is absolutely not the best place for Farabee. But neither is it for Tippett or Foerster.

Deslauriers is an absolute waste of a roster spot, and Hathaway would be a great 13th. Give guys like Lycksell or Abols a shot.
GH is a much better player than him and not even close. No issue with GH as 4th line player. Just not on the Flyers at this time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Tippett/Frost/Michkov
Foerster/Couts/TK
Farabee/Laughton/Brink
Cates/Poehling/Hathaway
Deslauriers

A normal franchise would let talent bump the 4th line off as need be. Unfortunately they seem to be trying to build from the 4th line out, so nobody leaves.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There is zero room for Abols. At best he is a 4th line beyond dime a dozen player.

Maybe. I've seen all of one exhibition game of him playing.

The original point I was making was just that this team has no room on the roster at all. None at forward, none at defense, and none in goal. So the rosters are pretty much set from the opening of training camp.

Are those 13 forwards the best forwards in the organization? I don't think that's the case, and even if the organization agrees, they will not make the changes that would see a guy like Deslauriers or Laughton moved.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the team will still be fun to watch. Michkov by himself is enough to make for something exciting this season. I hope Brink has a job too.

• Wow
Reactions: Larry44

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Maybe. I've seen all of one exhibition game of him playing.

The original point I was making was just that this team has no room on the roster at all. None at forward, none at defense, and none in goal. So the rosters are pretty much set from the opening of training camp.

Are those 13 forwards the best forwards in the organization? I don't think that's the case, and even if the organization agrees, they will not make the changes that would see a guy like Deslauriers or Laughton moved.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it - the team will still be fun to watch. Michkov by himself is enough to make for something exciting this season. I hope Brink has a job too.
Correct no room. That is a disgrace when you see where the Flyers are at currently.

They re-sign guys they should have moved. Refuse to trade some guys as they are "core" pieces.

No matter how some do in camp/preseason they have no shot. Can't earn anything on this team as constructed Barring any injuries.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team is set b/c the prospects aren't ready to play.
Luchanko and Bonk should go back to CHL, Barkey after mono has to, Sotheran, etc.
Guys like Bump are still in college.

Attard could push Risto, but Risto is an above 3RHD with a big contract they have to move, so that's a no brainer.

Abols, Rizzo have to outplay Laughton at 3C, while not a huge barrier, neither has yet to show they're NHL caliber.

Lycksell may make the team depending on the last roster spot. Deslauriers was the 13th forward by the end of the season, but 2 years left on his deal. Lycksell is the most NHL ready of the AHL players, his skating is the only thing holding him back. And Eklind is coming off a strong SHL showing, is much bigger (6-4 220) and only a year older.

Andrae has to beat out Zamula, who just got a 2 year deal, Seeler is their best defensive defenseman and paired with Drysdale, their worst defensive defenseman. Ginning is a scrub, could still on some NHL teams but if you lost him on waivers, meh.

Tuomaala, Desnoyers, Rizzo, Avon, Gendron, McDonald, could all use a season in the AHL to raise their game.

So there really is no conspiracy to hold prospects back, they extended Seeler and Hathaway b/c they're solid veterans who have no viable short-run replacements in the system.

Tippett - Frost - Michkov
Farabee - Couts - TK
Cates - Laughton - Foerster/Brink
??? - Poehling - Hathaway
Deslauriers, ???

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto
Johnson, ???

• Haha
Reactions: SnS

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Luchanko and Bonk should go back to CHL, Barkey after mono has to, Sotheran, etc.

Attard could push Risto, but Risto is an above 3RHD with a big contract they have to move, so that's a no brainer.

Abols, Rizzo have to outplay Laughton at 3C, while not a huge barrier, neither has yet to show they're NHL caliber.

Lycksell may make the team depending on the last roster spot. Deslauriers was the 13th forward by the end of the season, but 2 years left on his deal. Lycksell is the most NHL ready of the AHL players, his skating is the only thing holding him back. And Eklind is coming off a strong SHL showing, is much bigger (6-4 220) and only a year older.

Andrae has to beat out Zamula, who just got a 2 year deal, Seeler is their best defensive defenseman and paired with Drysdale, their worst defensive defenseman. Ginning is a scrub, could still on some NHL teams but if you lost him on waivers, meh.

Tuomaala, Desnoyers, Rizzo, Avon, Gendron, McDonald, could all use a season in the AHL to raise their game.

So there really is no conspiracy to hold prospects back, they extended Seeler and Hathaway b/c they're solid veterans who have no viable short-run replacements in the system.

Farabee - Couts - TK
Deslauriers, ???

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto
Johnson, ???
False they extended them because they fit the Flyers mold and love them as players. Add in the want to make the playoffs. Zero need to give out those extensions. None. Nada. Zilch They do have replacements. They choose not go that route.

You say Rizzo hasn't shown he is NHL caliber. Gee no shit as he hasn't played 1 pro hockey game yet.

Any comment on how sad it is after years of losing the Flyers still do not have any prospects banging on the door for NHL time.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Farabee - Couts - TK
Deslauriers, ???

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto
Johnson, ???

I'm not sure if you're responding to me or someone else, but I didn't say there was a conspiracy. It's just poor planning.

As an example, even if Andrae beats out Zamula, it won't matter. Zamula is Russian. Andrae is not.

So that means re-signing Johnson may not have been the best move in the interests of developing prospects. I don't see the value he brings at this point that isn't already present with some of the veterans on the team now, like Couts, Sanheim, TK, Laughton, Seeler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad