2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
:deadhorse

Water under the bridge.

Going forward, the question is how to inflate Risto's value to move his contract and make room for Bonk and Sotheran.
Pure gold. Never played a pro game and they need to make room for him. What's he maybe 4 years away if he pans out?

There is no way to raise his value. Unless he just turns into a very good dman they are stuck with him. Maybe if they utilized what were his strengths, he may have some value. Instead, they have neutered that part out of him.

Best course of action is just ride his contract out. What would it take to trade him to Columbus?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I prob am higher on Hunter than most people here - I think he has a really good chance to be a solid 5/6 on a good team. I would anticipate him being a Flyer at the start of next year for sure
It seems rare for a dman who produced like he did in college at age 21 to become an good third pairing guy in the NHL. That would be more than Morin and Hagg managed.

A big-bodied defenseman known for his physical style of play and strong work ethic. McDonald possesses a fringe sixth or seventh defenseman ceiling at the NHL level.

Reactions: VladDrag and Tripod

phillyjawn

Sep 5, 2024
It seems rare for a dman who produced like he did in college at age 21 to become an good third pairing guy in the NHL. That would be more than Morin and Hagg managed.

i frequently watch the live barn cam in voorhees and lately ive been very impressed with what ive seen from Hunter McDonald. he seems committed to at least making the coaches think about giving him a chance for a spot. I could see him becoming a bubble player this year.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

You’d think they’d have learned their lesson with their last Dman named McDonald.

• Haha
Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last two seasons, Flyer D-men with 1000+ 5x5 minutes (SVA):

Sanheim 17:44, xGF% 48.73%, xGFrel -0.75, xGA/60: 2.54
York 16:58, xGF% 45.57%, xGFrel +0.97, xGA/60: 2.39
Walker 15:58, xGF% 56.18%, xGFrel +6.23, xGA/60: 2.37
Risto 15:15, xGF% 50.27%, xGFrel +2.33, xGA/60: 2.34
Seeler 13:53, xGF% 50.11%, xGFrel +4.35, xGA/60: 2.33
Zamula 13:49, xGF% 48.12%, xGFrel -3.60, xGA/60: 2.32

TDA 16:44, xGF% 44.09%, xGFrel -3.81, xGA/60: 3.30
Provorov 18:23, xGF% 45.25%, xGFrel -3.36, xGA/60: 2.83

Pairs:
York - Sanheim, 1160, xGF% 50.60%, xGFrel -0.75, xGA/60: 2.44
Seeler - Walker, 642, xGF% 56.72%, xGFrel +5.94, xGA/60: 2.44
Provorov - York, 548, xGF% 50.10%, xGFrel +0.94, xGA/60: 2.53
Sanheim - Risto, 471, xGF% 45.27%, xGFrel -3.98, xGA/60: 2.48
Provorov - TDA, 436, xGF% 39.84%, xGFrel -7.70, xGA/60: 3.60
Seeler - Risto, 373, xGF% 56.01%, xGFrel +8.06, xGA/60: 2.01
Sanheim - Braun, 333, xGF% 51.10, xGFrel +3.98, xGA/60: 2.10
Sanheim - TDA, 331, xGF% 39.58, xGFrel -7.80, xGA/60, 3.31

While Provorov played better in CBJ than the year before, he was still at a second pair level.
TDA was putrid. Dragged every partner down.

Seeler raises his partner's play, even raised TDA's play relative to other pairings.
Shows the value of a stay at home D-man who can CYA for a partner. See Braun as well.
I think the ideal pairing is an offensive D-man with a mobile, physical defensive D-man. A fundamentally sound partner who can get back allows offensive D-men to be more aggressive.

Not sure how much of Sanheim's improvement last year was health, playing RHD or the pairing with York.

Risto was much better with Seeler and better with Zamula than he was with Sanheim.
Maybe just bad chemistry.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I prob am higher on Hunter than most people here - I think he has a really good chance to be a solid 5/6 on a good team. I would anticipate him being a Flyer at the start of next year for sure
This isn't specifically directed at you, but the idea of Hunter McDonald is the issue. The fact that they are pumping him up is so typical of the Flyers for the last 10 years. Roll out the red carpet for the limited prospect -- give them the most opportunity for development. Meanwhile, make it near impossible for all of those prospects who have better skills.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This isn't specifically directed at you, but the idea of Hunter McDonald is the issue. The fact that they are pumping him up is so typical of the Flyers for the last 10 years. Roll out the red carpet for the limited prospect -- give them the most opportunity for development. Meanwhile, make it near impossible for all of those prospects who have better skills.

McDonald at least has a decent skating/athleticism base though, right? Is that muddying the waters for them? Opposed to a regular bigger defender that doesn’t produce & is really stiff?

Reactions: VladDrag

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Everyone complains the Flyers didn't tank and obtain premium talent.
Now you want them to play marginal talent because they're young?

Seeler was initially signed to a #7 D-man contract, 2 year, 1st year two way, second year guaranteed. Seeler is an anomaly, few players at his age step up that much. He's bigger and faster than Belpedio and started in the NHL earlier in his career (71 games at 25 years old).

Ginning has worked hard to be a serviceable NHL D-man, and I think he could play at 3LHD for a number of teams, but he lacks top 4 talent. The reason McDonald is getting the hype is he's the same size, defense first, but supposedly a much better skater than Ginning.

They scout the AHL players extensively, they have the input of assistant coaches, film and you see Briere in Allentown on a regular basis. If a LHV player looks NHL ready, they know.

Seeler was never signed to be a #7. That's why he got term.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
i frequently watch the live barn cam in voorhees and lately ive been very impressed with what ive seen from Hunter McDonald. he seems committed to at least making the coaches think about giving him a chance for a spot. I could see him becoming a bubble player this year.
What do you see on live barn that leaves you impressed?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We'll see. It is a bit unusual, they haven't pumped Grans (trade) or Samson this way, or even Attard.
So maybe they're legitimately excited about him, maybe it's just offseason fluff.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We'll see. It is a bit unusual, they haven't pumped Grans (trade) or Samson this way, or even Attard.
So maybe they're legitimately excited about him, maybe it's just offseason fluff.

It's not unusual. It's routine. They love lower skilled players because those guys have to "work harder" to succeed and they think that causes winning, while talent does not; in fact, they are certain you can have too much talent, and that having too much is worse than not having enough. It never does cause winning, but that doesn't stop them from believing it.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Because there is really nothing to pump up.

Hunet Mac is throwback to the Flyers of yesteryear. They know the fans eat that shit up. Not hard to figure out.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

thats a lust worthy Dman for the Flyers Org. right there...

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Pure gold. Never played a pro game and they need to make room for him. What's he maybe 4 years away if he pans out?
Ngl, I didn't even know who that is. Never heard or read that name. Tells you how much I care about these late round prospects, I guess.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
The only way I see Michkov with Frost is a two birds with one stone thing to play them less minutes. Otherwise, Tortorella will stubbornly cling to Frost not being defensively responsible enough. Michkov needs a Poehling in his life.
Nicky Fists-Poehling-Michkov. I can see it now

Reactions: BiggE and Magua

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I actually think it would be awesome if the hype around McDonald is warranted. This team should be finding, developing, and eventually playing these later round picks into 3rd No need to overpay for these veterans.

Obviously he's got a long way to go, but he's improved tremendously since I saw him - even in a calendar year. Looked like a man amongst boys all week at Dev Camp!

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The only way I see Michkov with Frost is a two birds with one stone thing to play them less minutes. Otherwise, Tortorella will stubbornly cling to Frost not being defensively responsible enough. Michkov needs a Poehling in his life.
You’re probably right about this. If it happens I’ll be ok with since that type of stupidity is what should get Torts sent out of town.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I actually think it would be awesome if the hype around McDonald is warranted. This team should be finding, developing, and eventually playing these later round picks into 3rd No need to overpay for these veterans.

Obviously he's got a long way to go, but he's improved tremendously since I saw him - even in a calendar year. Looked like a man amongst boys all week at Dev Camp!
For sure - it would be awesome if they found an NHL player in McDonald. Most posters on this board would want to see every single prospect turn into an NHL player. That's not really the point I was making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad