Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman already held out once for more money money money. "In my dreams I had a dream".

See above.

I’m sharing this with you - be grateful we have had the hug

Swayman & Bussi will be BFF this time nrst season

Reactions: Gordoff

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Bruins might be able to land Drai and sign him if Ullmark was willing to waive to go there. That is probably the biggest hang up. Ullmark, a 1st, Poitras or Lysell, and another piece could be enough to get him.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
With regards to Drai, think Calgary fans expected Tkachuk to go to Florida? Seemed as nuts...

Alberta is a tough spot to hold guys forever.
Calgary is building 2 new rinks ( main rink and practice facility)and more so they should be able to attract some players down the line.I will say though if you are from East Coast its a bit harder sell being near 5 hr flight just to Toronto

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Exactly. Guys who haven't play C ever or in years but we'll convert them back to C and displace our current centers.

They will likely bring in one C this summer. I fully expect them to chase Lindholm hard. They aren't bringing in 2 or 3 of them.

Personally I'd rather roll with what they have now and wait for that elite forward (W or C) in his prime to become available via trade and have the cap space to capitalize on the opportunity.
I would rather wait than to sign Lindholm , going to be a drag if they do at some point.

Reactions: BruinDust

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
View attachment 867020

I don’t think folks appreciate how much money there is going to be floating around in UFA this offseason.
I thought we would be top 5 with all that money. In reality I hope we lock up our own and stay out of dumb bidding. Have a number on Lindholm/Stamkos/Monahan and stick to it. Same with DeBrusk really. I sure do hope DeBrusk can be had for the Rust deal but I really doubt it looking at these numbers.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With regards to Drai, think Calgary fans expected Tkachuk to go to Florida? Seemed as nuts...

Alberta is a tough spot to hold guys forever.

Calgary is beautiful city IMO (lived there 6 months back in 2015). If I was a NHL player, I'd rather play there than Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal. Ottawa as a city is also very nice but rink location is a big issue but if it was downtown it would be 50/50 between Ottawa and Calgary. I don't know where to rank Toronto honestly.

The two knocks on Calgary are the current arena and it's amenities (of lack thereof) and the nightlife isn't terrible but nothing outstanding either which matters to some players.

Sometimes I think NHL players think Edmonton and Calgary are similar but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Seems to be trending towards a defensively responsible center that can play top 6 and is relatively young without costing 8+ mil. If you want to one word comment on all my posts we can just have a conversation.
I just asked a question, thanks for the answer.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Swayman already held out once for more money money money. "In my dreams I had a dream".

See above. Can we just talk? Still haven't answered my question? how much is too much?

I think 7-7.5 mil AAV is a great deal for a 25 year old #1 and the bruins shouldn't think twice about it, and I'd be fine with anything up to 8mil. Only goalies that make more then that are Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, and Sorokin and all those guys have hardware/pedigree that Sway just doesn't (yet). So I don't think he can realistically ask for that unless he drags us to the cup and wins the conn smythe this playoffs, and assuming that doesn't happen and he still asks for that much you can still bridge him at a lower number since he's an RFA and tell him to go earn that big payday. But there's really no scenario where I'm trading Sway this summer, he is a golden ticket to another decade of stable goaltending.

For reference, the 8x7mil contract they signed Tuukka to in 2013 would be worth 9.5mil AAV next season going by cap %, and the two have extremely similar numbers through their age 25 seasons.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think 7-7.5 mil AAV is a great deal for a 25 year old #1 and the bruins shouldn't think twice about it, and I'd be fine with anything up to 8mil. Only goalies that make more then that are Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, and Sorokin and all those guys have hardware/pedigree that Sway just doesn't (yet). So I don't think he can realistically ask for that unless he drags us to the cup and wins the conn smythe this playoffs, and if he does ask for it you can still bridge him at a lower number since he's an RFA and tell him to go earn that contract.

For reference, the 8x7mil contract they signed Tuukka to in 2013 would be worth 9.5mil AAV next season going by cap %, and the two have extremely similar numbers through their age 25 seasons.

The number hasn’t gone down these last 7 games, that’s for sure.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
The number hasn’t gone down these last 7 games, that’s for sure.
No and that's a good thing. You have a young goalie about to enter his prime that looks completely unfazed by playing on the biggest stage, who cares if it costs you a little more on his next contract when he's stealing you games in the playoffs.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Haven’t taken a deep dive yet but I like it when you do these - fun reads and good vision

I’ll just throw a quick little comment I would be flabbergasted if LAK would trade byfield

I’m on laferriere but I’ll look over later but you come out with good foundations to delve into

Likely we have to see the end result of 23-24 to see the full picture

If JDB gets 10 goals and the Bruins are playing in June things could be altered

We here criticize Grzelcyk for not having strong playoffs so be it Coyle or Geekie or DeBrusk etc who shine in the spring we gotta look at that

I am starting to think Elias Lindholm of Vancouver affordable is starting to look as someone to consider which moves Zacha to wing and you still get flexibility with him wing both special teams. EL is strong on FO and 3 zone - a Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak line could be outstanding. I’m 5/40 on him

Also Heinen reminds me a lot of Donnie Marcotte - not as strong and clean physical but incredibly smart and a good amount of skills

He’s definitely a high priority on my team

Ok the downpour stopped off to do back/lats Day & cardio
Appreciate the post! I've noticed a lot of similarity in our lineups/guys we'd be looking to add!
Just finished a 500 rep shoulders workout!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think 7-7.5 mil AAV is a great deal for a 25 year old #1 and the bruins shouldn't think twice about it, and I'd be fine with anything up to 8mil. Only goalies that make more then that are Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, and Sorokin and all those guys have hardware/pedigree that Sway just doesn't (yet). So I don't think he can realistically ask for that unless he drags us to the cup and wins the conn smythe this playoffs, and assuming that doesn't happen and he still asks for that much you can still bridge him at a lower number since he's an RFA and tell him to go earn that big payday. But there's really no scenario where I'm trading Sway this summer, he is a golden ticket to another decade of stable goaltending.

Other than Vasilevsky(who is unbelievable on unbelievable cup winning teams) ... not one of those overpaid goalies (and their teams) have had any playoff success. Rask made it to finals.

IMO I LOVE Ullmark at $5mil and disagree paying any goalie $8mil + ... spend the cap $s wisely.

Improve the overall team today and future by trading Swayman (if money demands $8 mil plus) and keeping your vezina trophy $5mil winner from last year. Much like Swayman, allow Bussi to play along side Ullmark.

The disagreement isn't in Swayman's play...the dude is awesome. Expensive goalies take away from other needs on the team.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Other than Vasilevsky(who is unbelievable on unbelievable cup winning teams) ... not one of those overpaid goalies (and their teams) have had any playoff success. Rask made it to finals.

IMO I LOVE Ullmark at $5mil and disagree paying any goalie $8mil + ... spend the cap $s wisely.

Improve the overall team today and future by trading Swayman (if money demands $8 mil plus) and keeping your vezina trophy $5mil winner from last year. Much like Swayman, allow Bussi to play along side Ullmark.

The disagreement isn't in Swayman's play...the dude is awesome. Expensive goalies take away from other needs on the team.
You are way off on this blowfish

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Most likely way way off ... especially now that you're questioning my crazy ideas. lol.

Wait and see. I do worry about the $ and Ullmark no waive clause.
In the history of NMC, only two players I recall that have refused to waive their NMC: Mats Sundin and Torey Krug. No Ullmark didn't refuse to waive because it was modified, he just refused one team that was not on his list. NMC aren't to prevent a trade, it's to give a player a choice.

As for the cap, Ullmark/Swayman take up 10.1% of the cap.

If Swayman gets $8 million next year and Ullmark is traded as expected, Swayman/Bussi take up 10.2%. I don't see how that can create the nightmares you are having for you.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
In the history of NMC, only two players I recall that have refused to waive their NMC: Mats Sundin and Torey Krug. No Ullmark didn't refuse to waive because it was modified, he just refused one team that was not on his list. NMC aren't to prevent a trade, it's to give a player a choice.

As for the cap, Ullmark/Swayman take up 10.1% of the cap.

If Swayman gets $8 million next year and Ullmark is traded as expected, Swayman/Bussi take up 10.2%. I don't see how that can create the nightmares you are having for you.
No nightmares whatsoever...I simply like the idea of having:
- Vezina Ullmark/Bussi taking up 7% of the cap
- the quality return for Swayman
- the riches of quality goaltenders in the system allowing bruins the luxary to make such trade

We shall see...I'm sure to get something right sooner or later. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad