Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So Daily Faceoff had contract projections for the top 75 UFA's. Looking at the top 10 LHD to bump Wotherspoon down you have

Skjei and Zadorov - likely way too expensive for us
Ghost and Gustafsson - offensive guys that aren't much of a fit with Lohrei being that
OEL, Dillon, Brodie - getting term and likely 3 million +
Cole, Martinez, Edmundson - vets likely getting 1 year under 2 million

I think if they can get Brenden Dillon on a reasonable contract, he's the best fit of the bunch but realistically those three vets all make really good options IMO. All have cup experience.

I both think they need to add some nasty on that remaining LD slot and am not sure how it fits at the same time. Peeke and Carlo both are below average with the puck. I think we all just saw how being good at defending but defending all the time can turn out. Dillon is also who I gave circled, but is a Dillon/Peeke pairing too samey?

I keep playing with the idea of Carlo/Necas and having a Casey or Spence be part of the Ullmark return.

Something like:

Lindholm McAvoy
Lorhei Peeke
Dillon Casey/Pence
Wotherspoon

Leaves you with something like:

Zacha Necas Pastrnak
Marchand ??? ???
Frederic Coyle Geekie
Beecher Boqvist Brazeau
Lauko

And around 10 million to fill in. And if you follow MMBs thinking with maybe putting Coyle out there, you can bring back Heinen or let the kids fight over a 3rd line spot and get yourself to a point where you could afford Lindholm and DeBrusk/Marchessault for those spots. Or maybe you keep Coyle at 2C until Poitras is ready, and try to add someone high end with that cash. Obviously, these 42 moves in a chain thing are dicey to pull off, but I do think it speaks to the kind of flexibility Sweeney can have if he decides to get aggressive in re-shaping things.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I both think they need to add some nasty on that remaining LD slot and am not sure how it fits at the same time. Peeke and Carlo both are below average with the puck. I think we all just saw how being good at defending but defending all the time can turn out. Dillon is also who I gave circled, but is a Dillon/Peeke pairing too samey?

I keep playing with the idea of Carlo/Necas and having a Casey or Spence be part of the Ullmark return.

Something like:

Lindholm McAvoy
Lorhei Peeke
Dillon Casey/Pence
Wotherspoon

Zacha Necas Pastrnak
Marchand ??? ???
Frederic Coyle Geekie
Beecher Boqvist Brazeau
Lauko

And around 10 million to fill in. And if you follow MMBs thinking with maybe putting Coyle out there, you can bring back Heinen or let the kids fight over a 3rd line spot and get yourself to a point where you could afford Lindholm and DeBrusk/Marchessault for those spots. Obviously, these 42 moves in a chain thing are dicey to pull off, but I do think it speaks to the kind of flexibility Sweeney can have if he decides to get aggressive in re-shaping things.
Peeke as a top 4, PK1 guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: ylekot and RoccoF14

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

Something like:

Lindholm McAvoy
Lorhei Peeke
Dillon Casey/Pence
Wotherspoon

Zacha Necas Pastrnak
Marchand ??? ???
Frederic Coyle Geekie
Beecher Boqvist Brazeau
Lauko

And around 10 million to fill in. And if you follow MMBs thinking with maybe putting Coyle out there, you can bring back Heinen or let the kids fight over a 3rd line spot and get yourself to a point where you could afford Lindholm and DeBrusk/Marchessault for those spots. Or maybe you keep Coyle at 2C until Poitras is ready, and try to add someone high end with that cash. Obviously, these 42 moves in a chain thing are dicey to pull off, but I do think it speaks to the kind of flexibility Sweeney can have if he decides to get aggressive in re-shaping things.

Lindholm/McAvoy was never a good pair that's exactly why they moved him to the second pair alongside Carlo and Peeke as a top 4 is just a disaster in the making. Our defense wasn't any good, but Carlo was our best dman, imo. That's why I really doubt they would trade him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lindholm/McAvoy was never a good pair that's exactly why they moved him to the second pair alongside Carlo and Peeke as a top 4 is just a disaster in the making. Our defense wasn't any good, but Carlo was our best dman, imo. That's why I really doubt they would trade him.

Rantanen said it was the best pairing in the NHL.

Carlo is clearly their best one on one defender and one of the best in the game. But he gives back a lot of value the other way at 5 on 5 and burying Lindholm like he is with Carlo has clearly muted some of what Lindholm can bring.

I’m not meaning to toot the trade Carlo horn here, but I also think that not leaving every stone unturned is limiting.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Even in a must win game yesterday he looked like he was just going through the motions. How he got a reputation as some power forward is beyond me.

I couldn't believe they told Fantilli (who was on last year's gold medal team), to go home and brought a loser like PLD along.
Tourigny is also a horrible coach, he had Bedard as the 13th forward and in one game Bedard had 2 goals and late in the game Canada had a PP, yet he did not put Bedard out there to try for the hat trick.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Rantanen said it was the best pairing in the NHL.

Carlo is clearly their best one on one defender and one of the best in the game. But he gives back a lot of value the other way at 5 on 5 and burying Lindholm like he is with Carlo has clearly muted some of what Lindholm can bring.

I’m not meaning to toot the trade Carlo horn here, but I also think that not leaving every stone unturned is limiting.
McAvoy with Lindholm and Carlo with Lohrei should be the permanent pairings.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Also from Globe:

The status quo Bruins let it be known Wednesday that they have no plans to rework the coaching staff. Baffling. Poor bench management led to a record seven penalties for too many men on the ice. “Way too many to have happen, no question about it,” said president Cam Neely. They also had horrendous starts in three of their 13 playoff games: Game 5 vs Toronto: two shots in the opening 20:00; Game 6 vs. Toronto: one shot in the opening 20:00. Game 3 vs. Florida: three shots in the opening 20:00. Not engaged from the opening puck drop, they lost all three games. Overall, it showed a severe need for better in-game bench management and an inexcusable lack of readiness to start games on time at the most important time of the season. “We haven’t finished our revision of last year,” said bench boss Jim Montgomery on Wednesday. “But as it stands right now, there is no imminent change in our mind.”
Baffling indeed.

Montgomery also confessed (after G7) to possessing a "vapid brain."

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

EL is 29. Chandler Stephenson is 30.

I would try to land Necas. He's just 25.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Zacha smoking people today in World Finals- keep him on the wing

Glad the Czechs won after being snubbed on the 4 country tournament next winter at the Garden and in Toronto. Are you getting a line or first dibs on tickets as a STH have they said anything about it yet?

Reactions: TCB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Glad the Czechs won after being snubbed on the 4 country tournament next winter at the Garden and in Toronto. Are you getting a line or first dibs on tickets as a STH have they said anything about it yet?
Not sure but I’ll go if offered

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tourigny is also a horrible coach, he had Bedard as the 13th forward and in one game Bedard had 2 goals and late in the game Canada had a PP, yet he did not put Bedard out there to try for the hat trick.

Had PLD out there in OT on a 4 on 3 PP. Again in the shoot-out. Not sure what Tourigny is thinking there.

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Hard to take that tournament seriously when none of Pasta, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Panarin, or Kaprizov will be there. 3 of the Top 5 scorers this year, 4 of the Top 7 and 5 of the Top 11.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Lindholm is just too risky for me, go after Necas hard and re-sign Jake. Grab Stephenson if it’s a reasonable price and get a bottom pairing guy to push Wotherspoon to 7.
Awesome, who's playing center on line 1or 2? I like Stephenson, I have no real desire to see DeBrusk back.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Awesome, who's playing center on line 1or 2? I like Stephenson, I have no real desire to see DeBrusk back.
Assuming Necas is a wing, and I know this is unpopular, Coyle and Zacha. I don’t think that running those two is an issue if they have very strong wingers. Marchand, Necas, Pastrnak, and one of Debrusk or Stephenson makes an incredible winger group. I believe that the Bruin’s issue was not necessarily center depth (though not ideal), but rather top six talent overall. Think of a top six that looks like:
Marchand-Coyle-Necas
Stephenson/Debrusk-Zacha-Pastrnak
I am frustrated with Debrusk, but I don’t care how streaky he is during the regular season if he can continue to bring it in the playoffs. Depends on the number for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad