Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Bruins absolutely need to get faster up front. But if they let 27-year old Debrusk walk and hand over a significant deal to a 33-year old Marchessault, they need their heads examined. They don't even get any faster in that move. Just smaller and older with a commitment likely into later years than Debrusk.
That's assuming the team doesn't want to sign Debrusk and not the other way around.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Right here today he is. But for all the flak Debrusk gets, he's played well in the playoffs. Outscored Marchessault in this years 1st round.

I'd also question what the AAV is like. Marchessault coming of a 40-goal season. I think it comes in above Debrusk, and likely significantly.

For an older player, he doesn't have a lot of mileage - only 638 games played. I think he'd live up to a 2-3 year deal and still be a 30-40 goal guy in the right environment.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some quick numbers I put together, projected cap is based on AFP analytics, Players that were traded numbers are on teams they spent most of the season with. According to NHL Edge the average speed of an NHL player is 22.10 MPH. The speed/number is the players average speed and what percentile he ranks in the league. Example Sherwood skates at a top speed of 22.3 which ranks him in the top 16% of players.

PlayerGoalsAssistsPointsHitsFightsPimSpeedProjected ContractFA Status
Kiefer Sherwood10172723434122.36/842UFA
Brandon Duhaime44815576222.73/921.8UFA
Marchessault, Jonathan42276910704022.1/-506.2UFA
Yakov Trenin1041417023822.8/-502.5UFA
Luke Kunin1171816598322.71/-501.7RFA
Dakota Joshua18143224446021.41/-503.2UFA
Sherwood intrigues me as a bottom 6 add

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For an older player, he doesn't have a lot of mileage - only 638 games played. I think he'd live up to a 2-3 year deal and still be a 30-40 goal guy in the right environment.

That is a good point. Didn't realize how few games he's played (relatively speaking) for his age. Even adding the 102 playoff games it's still not a massive amount.

Leads me to a another question.......given that Marchesault is at roughly 700 games, and Stamkos is at 1200, is Marchessault the safer bet? Both 1990 born.

You may of changed my stance on Marchessault.

Reactions: Gordoff and PB37

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

But the right environment is with him as a first line triggerman, if you want him to be a 30-40 goal guy, and he won't be that in Boston . That is Pasta's job

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don’t know if I’m the first to say this but I can see Patrick Kane coming here to finish out his career. I believe we were in the mix this year. If you get him + a center like Lindholm(or better in a trade), the. You have upgraded your top 6 significantly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I still miss the days in the early 2000s when every Sunday me and my buddies would get McD Cheeseburgers for $0.99 cents each (Canadian Dollars). I would buy 4.

Now I can't afford to eat there unless I have a coupon.
Haha

Ok so I’m not the only one who liked their cheeseburgers: 2 cheeseburgers & large fries go to

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DeBrusk was sent a message by Sweeney - you are wanted and it’s got to be in neighborhood of Coyle probably higher since DeBrusk had three 25+ goal seasons and a UFA

I’m going 5/30 from Sweeney but agent probably thinks 7/49 and that’s a lot

• Wow
Reactions: Bodit9

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But the right environment is with him as a first line triggerman, if you want him to be a 30-40 goal guy, and he won't be that in Boston . That is Pasta's job

Why not though? It's not like either Pasta or Marchessault are living and dying off the PP production. 6th and 7th respectively last year in EV goal production league wide.

And in Marchessault's case, it's not like he's a product of Jack Eichel. He had just as much (if not more) production with Nick Roy as his center than he did Eichel. Barbashev being the one constant between the two lines.

Using last year's numbers, Pasta and Marchessault would be the best 1-2 combo in the league for EV goal production. Put them on separate lines.

I'm really warming up to this Marchessault idea.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
Bruins absolutely need to get faster up front. But if they let 27-year old Debrusk walk and hand over a significant deal to a 33-year old Marchessault, they need their heads examined. They don't even get any faster in that move. Just smaller and older with a commitment likely into later years than Debrusk.
this is right on.
the bruins have a hard time with zone entries and getting out of our own zone and the primary reason to my eyes is because our forward group is a mediocre skating group (yes talented). if they could get seperation we'd be having a bit of a different conversation about our d groups ability to get the puck out imo.
debrusk is one of the few guys with wheels. beecher, lauko, debrusk, boqvist. we desperately need lysell to hit and play to his full potential. hard no on marchessault or any other signing that doesn't add speed to our forward group. necas can really skate. i see him a ton here in raleigh live and on the tv. he's a wing mostly because he doesn't draw very well. we need speed.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
this is right on.
the bruins have a hard time with zone entries and getting out of our own zone and the primary reason to my eyes is because our forward group is a mediocre skating group (yes talented). if they could get seperation we'd be having a bit of a different conversation about our d groups ability to get the puck out imo.
debrusk is one of the few guys with wheels. beecher, lauko, debrusk, boqvist. we desperately need lysell to hit and play to his full potential. hard no on marchessault or any other signing that doesn't add speed to our forward group. necas can really skate. i see him a ton here in raleigh live and on the tv. he's a wing mostly because he doesn't draw very well. we need speed.

I think I've already turned the corner on Marchessault.

I've been watching the WC with Czechia and really impressed with Necas. Would love to get him here. Wonder with Waddell resigning what the plan is now with him.

My only concern is he was a minus 9 on a pretty strong team last year. Big divergence from say Aho who was a plus 34. Then again, I can't explain how Selke nominee Jordan Staal was a minus 14 and among the worst on the team.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Listen after 7:30 "regular season means Jack Shit."

Exactly my feelings especially after last season,I don’t watch every game ,I stopped paying for the sports package with my cable,just watched the games on line ,some of the games the quality wasn’t very good so never bothered watching.Also unfortunately some of the Bruins games in these playoffs were like regular season games a lot like the last couple games of the season.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Exactly my feelings especially after last season,I don’t watch every game ,I stopped paying for the sports package with my cable,just watched the games on line ,some of the games the quality wasn’t very good so never bothered watching.Also unfortunately some of the Bruins games in these playoffs were like regular season games a lot like the last couple games of the season.
Username checks out.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Username checks out.
In the playoffs I am , regular season is like an exhibition, that meaningless greatest team ever season changed me ,like I said I still watched most of the games but I don’t get to emotionally involved one way or the other,and don’t pay the big bucks for the cable channels to watch them.I can change my username if you want.lol

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think I've already turned the corner on Marchessault.

I've been watching the WC with Czechia and really impressed with Necas. Would love to get him here. Wonder with Waddell resigning what the plan is now with him.

My only concern is he was a minus 9 on a pretty strong team last year. Big divergence from say Aho who was a plus 34. Then again, I can't explain how Selke nominee Jordan Staal was a minus 14 and among the worst on the team.
His replacement ran their analytics department- hopefully he is disgusted by -9 and looks at Ullmark 22-23 which since league doubled in 67 was one of greatest seasons ever

Analytics guys probably go to goal tending first

Krejci and Krug both live in Carolina - not sure which one but they all look the same to me

I’m Team Necas as well

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You're probably right, I see the same in the playoffs. But I was thinking what if you limit him to 50 games, play twice a week. Would he then have the energy for the playoffs? This allows you to integrate rookies at a slower pace.
At the right price but I think Maroon steals that spot at the cost and production.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
If he has been playing on the wing mostly for the last 5 years someone else said ,how many face offs would he have taken.
He's taken several hundred. Took 417 in 22-23. Enough that its a solid sample size. He's been given chances at C in the NHL but has been better on the wing. Basically another Zacha. Still a useful player and one I'd be happy to have, but he's not a solve for our center needs in my eyes.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Number 6: Why not? Cap will increase again next year, Marchand probably signs for around the same trading cash for term, Frederic raise should be covered by cap increase. Why leave money on the table with so many holes to fill? I don't care if JJ and the crypt keeper's 6 ever make a penny off the Bruins again, if it's to use at the trade deadline fine but I wouldn't worry about next years contracts. On top of which they will need to figure out what to do with Merkulov, Lysell and some of the other Providence guys like Kuntar this year or next year at the latest. Personally I would move Merkulov and give Lysell half a year before deciding to move him or not.
I get your point but mine is that injuries and no cap produced some white knuckling all year long. Not good business to not have a buffer for WHEN the injuries inevitably come. Prepare. I am not saying hoard it. Level some breathing room.

I think we can do both.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It’s crazy how much 2022-2023 ruined fans for the regular season. Of course it was the Bruins who did that. Just like how the Columbus series ruined the regular season for the Lightning; difference is, Lightning responded the following year.
It's on the players in my opinion. They knew the repercussions for going all in and they blew it. The team this season overachieved to the point where the majority of hockey fans had them missing the playoffs.

With the cap space the Bruins have, it's time for Sweeney and Co. to bolster this roster and help the new core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad