Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This would be an eminently sensible move, not for players in return, but frankly, to dislodge Ulllmark's 5 m. In cap space.

If they could do it, I think that's a reasonable compromise for both Linus and the Bruins.

Sending a player to amateur organization like the Ottawa Senators isn't a compromise, it's punishment.

Players talk. They know what it's like up there. Maybe Ullmark is a big fan of soggy quesadillas and Big Mac Combos.

Then again, who doesn't love a Big Mac Combo.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sending a player to amateur organization like the Ottawa Senators isn't a compromise, it's punishment.

Players talk. They know what it's like up there. Maybe Ullmark is a big fan of soggy quesadillas and Big Mac Combos.

I really think Ottawa is heading in the right direction. They have loads of young talent and have changed the front office around, Imo their only a few pieces away from contending and goaltending is surely one of them.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Right here today he is. But for all the flak Debrusk gets, he's played well in the playoffs. Outscored Marchessault in this years 1st round.

I'd also question what the AAV is like. Marchessault coming of a 40-goal season. I think it comes in above Debrusk, and likely significantly.

Agreed, the price for Marchessault will most certainly be higher than for Debrusk.

My favorite Big Mac Combo is a Big Mac with another Big Mac.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really think Ottawa is heading in the right direction. They have loads of young talent and have changed the front office around, Imo their only a few pieces away from contending and goaltending is surely one of them.

But there is more to it than that. The arena is currently in the middle of nowhere, a considerable commute from the core area of Ottawa.

In Boston they have this luxurious practice arena with all the modern amenities they could ask for. They aren't getting close to that in Ottawa.

I do think this part will improve under the new owner Andlauer. I think he will be a good owner for them, he's been around the game a long time. But it will take time to shed their off-ice reputation among NHL players.

Reactions: Gordoff

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Coaching is also a huge issue for them, the Sens fan base were very unhappy with the Travis Green hiring and I can't say I don't blame them.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think from a bottom 6 perspective, we're extremely solid going into next season. Not sure if we re-sign Maroon to address the toughness or look elsewhere. I wasn't a huge Maroon fan but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt being out for an extended period of time with back surgery. We do need a guy though for the 4th line to handle the heavies for us.

I said this in a post earlier, Freddy-Coyle-Geekie is a top 3- 3rd line in the NHL. We can also afford to have them slotted there and improve our top 6 with others.

That leaves Marchy, Pasta and Zacha for the top 6. I think we need to add 2 top 6 forwards, a 1C and a winger. I truly believe we need to give either Poitras, Merkulov, or Lysell a look in the top 6 starting the season. We can always pivot in season if need be.

My top two targets are Stamkos and Lindholm. Get them both for 13 million, Swayman 8 years 7 million per, takes up 20 million, trade Ullmark, and we have cap flexibility to maneuver at the deadline. People will criticize saying we wont get Lindholm and Stamkos for 13 combined but Donny Dealer has a way to make it happen.

Add a rugged dman for 3rd pair to rotate with Wortherspoon and we have a Stanley Cup contending team. Imagine being able to roll out PP1 with Pasta and PP2 with Stamkos

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Poitras-Stamkos

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
So we have Bruins fans (not implying you) that say Zacha needs to move to LW even though he's played most of his NHL career at center and is 52.7% at the dot since joining the Bruins. To address our center problem we're going to add a guy who hasn't played much center in the NHL and is terrible in the dot.

Meanwhile I mention Stamkos (whose a monster in the dot) and the first comments people gave me (again not saying you) are that he's a LW not a center. Seems like the idea of Necas at center is some folks dreaming that the stars align and we look smarter than Carolina for letting him play center.

These are all very valid points that I may or may not be guilty of :D:laugh:

I think Zacha's offense translates better on the wing than center. Not sure about Necas at this point but you and Dennis Bonvie make very valid points.

I like but am not in love with all of the potential guys we could target at center. Necas is a risk due to him not playing center for the past half decade, so while his skills are well known, his ability to play the position at the NHL level at this point, is unknown. Stamkos, is a guy I love but I'm concerned that nearly 50% of his goals and points come on the PP. Reinhart someone is going to buy big on this season, can he replicate it? Lindholm had a bit of a down year, is this a sign of things to come or will he bounce back.

In the end I still think I'd go after Lindholm first and then Stammer.

I think Stamkos fits our culture best. Still remember him breaking his face against us in the playoffs and being back on the ice a few shifts later. Guy is a gamer.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looks like former Bruin Ondrej Kase had a healthy year in Czechia and is looking to come back to the NHL.

Wonder if he'd be worth a go similar to Shattenkirk, Jvr, Heinen this year.

Where are you playing him. Are you bringing him here to be the 21/22 roster player. Can he succeed if most of his minutes come on the 4th line. You certainly don't want to pencil him in on the top 2 lines. That was the perfect thing with Heinen, he could play almost any role on any line.

JVR, Shatty, they were pure necessity as they needed guys in the regular lineup who were willing to play for 1 million.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Where are you playing him. Are you bringing him here to be the 21/22 roster player. Can he succeed if most of his minutes come on the 4th line. You certainly don't want to pencil him in on the top 2 lines. That was the perfect thing with Heinen, he could play almost any role on any line.

JVR, Shatty, they were pure necessity as they needed guys in the regular lineup who were willing to play for 1 million.
Yea and remember all his injuries.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Necas is a good piece, but not enough of a player to be 1C in Boston.

Marchessault is a player I really like. But it would really be a win for those that think Don is turning the Bruins into the Canadians. Boston would pay a premium for a proven scorer that STILL needs a good 1C in Boston to produce like he has been in Vegas. He will be getting a big raise over what he is making now and Sweeney would be paying a premium for a player almost Marchands age.

I think Don will concentrate on getting the now and future 1C while simultaneously offering Ullmark. Once that is resolved, one way or another, he can then look at filling holes in other needs like wing scoring.

If we lose our UFAs we need to fill those holes. Don may try to gamble on Peeke being our Forbort replacement. Lysell can step in for Jake(on paper, not solid on his NHL readiness, if you are then convince me) and they can player roster blender with Zacha, Frederick, and Geekie on wing. Poitras I expect to have a big year, I am willing to lay down some investment that we got a special player in the kid as long as he can stay healthy.

1: Sign Swayman
2: Get a 1C or commit to punting until the trade deadline and trying again for this year. If not then next summer.
3: Get a consistent proven scorer on the wing.
4: Move Ullmark in a bid for the previous 2 items or if you cant move him for futures and cap space.
5: Get affordable physical depth D if the cap still has room.
6: Dont go to the cap limit this year(I expect this is an easy one for Don after struggling with it last season)
Number 6: Why not? Cap will increase again next year, Marchand probably signs for around the same trading cash for term, Frederic raise should be covered by cap increase. Why leave money on the table with so many holes to fill? I don't care if JJ and the crypt keeper's 6 ever make a penny off the Bruins again, if it's to use at the trade deadline fine but I wouldn't worry about next years contracts. On top of which they will need to figure out what to do with Merkulov, Lysell and some of the other Providence guys like Kuntar this year or next year at the latest. Personally I would move Merkulov and give Lysell half a year before deciding to move him or not.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Off-season team improvement list.

I'm not going to offer trade scenarios or proposals because I am not negotiating with the other GMs and do not know what they are willing to give up, what their needs are, or whom or what they would want in return. I am not going to speculate.

This is just a simple generalized list of what I would attempt to do. To accomplish these things one would have to be the one negotiating and making decisions. Of course working within the cap some players people may like will have to be let go or traded.

This is still a very good team, not a great team, but a very good one. Just trying to address some of its weaknesses. As we saw the playoffs are a game of inches with a little puck luck we would still be playing.

It is no secret, Marchand is getting older, and if DeBrusk leaves, we are going to need to add to our top six personnel. Maybe a 1 - 3 year contract(s) allowing current team prospects time to develop and claim a spot. Unless one is an exception, it usually takes 3 years for a prospect once they earn an NHL spot to acclimate and show what they are capable of.

So here we go ...

1) Sign or trade for a legitimate #1 center (worst-case scenario is sign or trade for the best available center that fits team culture and is willing to come here).
1b) resign Swayman
It's my belief that Swayman is the future in goal for Boston.

2. In addition to a #1 center I would seek to sign or aquire an additional top 6 forward, preferably someone capable of scoring 15, 20+ goals a year with an edge to his game.

3. I would look to add a second center (second line center, good on faceoffs averages around 45 - 50 points a year, maybe a veteran looking for a 2 - 3 yr contract; allowing Poitras and other young centers time in Providence to develop physically. Zacha ( if not traded) goes to wing and Coyle predominantly 3rd line center. Both Coyle and Zacha could move up and down throughout the line up as needed. This is not a knock on Coyle or Zacha, but rather allows them to play to their strengths in situations where they could thrive as opposed to being asked to constantly play above their effectiveness levels.

3b) If that second line center is elusive and unattainable, Zacha stays 2nd line center. Then the focus shifts to adding additional veteran or a rising potential winger to the middle six.

4. This is not necessarily an individual item but should be considered inclusive to moves previously mentioned. Add more grit and snarl to both the forwards and defenseman. More than one physical presence to the line up ... filling out the line up with players who are hungry and have something to prove. Players that will go through a wall to help the team win ... actions, not just talk.

5. Objective is to build a team for playoffs with regular season goal of qualifying for the playoffs. Regular season success should be a byproduct, but the primary goal is being the last team standing at the end of the playoffs.

Management/coaching
I would seriously look at the coaching staff ...
Figure out what changes need to made ...
focus concerning the power play,
overall team defensive structure/defensive positioning,
and a philosophical shift/change regarding overall team identity with greater emphasis on having each other's backs ... no man left behind attitude.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

One thing I miss about work is the cafe quesadillas

Shrimp scampi

Big Mac combo yes but McDonald’s prices are getting ridiculous- screw the recent days of drive thru and grab a large fries for $1 something

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One thing I miss about work is the cafe quesadillas

Shrimp scampi

Big Mac combo yes but McDonald’s prices are getting ridiculous- screw the recent days of drive thru and grab a large fries for $1 something

I still miss the days in the early 2000s when every Sunday me and my buddies would get McD Cheeseburgers for $0.99 cents each (Canadian Dollars). I would buy 4.

Now I can't afford to eat there unless I have a coupon.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Some quick numbers I put together, projected cap is based on AFP analytics, Players that were traded numbers are on teams they spent most of the season with. According to NHL Edge the average speed of an NHL player is 22.10 MPH. The speed/number is the players average speed and what percentile he ranks in the league. Example Sherwood skates at a top speed of 22.3 which ranks him in the top 16% of players.

PlayerGoalsAssistsPointsHitsFightsPimSpeedProjected ContractFA Status
Kiefer Sherwood10172723434122.36/842UFA
Brandon Duhaime44815576222.73/921.8UFA
Marchessault, Jonathan42276910704022.1/-506.2UFA
Yakov Trenin1041417023822.8/-502.5UFA
Luke Kunin1171816598322.71/-501.7RFA
Dakota Joshua18143224446021.41/-503.2UFA

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some quick numbers I put together, projected cap is based on AFP analytics, Players that were traded numbers are on teams they spent most of the season with. According to NHL Edge the average speed of an NHL player is 22.10 MPH. The speed/number is the players average speed and what percentile he ranks in the league. Example Sherwood skates at an average speed of 22.3 which ranks him in the top 16% of players.

PlayerGoalsAssistsPointsHitsFightsPimSpeedProjected ContractFA Status
Kiefer Sherwood10172723434122.36/842UFA
Brandon Duhaime44815576222.73/921.8UFA
Marchessault, Jonathan42276910704022.1/-506.2UFA
Yakov Trenin1041417023822.8/-502.5UFA
Luke Kunin1171816598322.71/-501.7RFA
Dakota Joshua18143224446021.41/-503.2UFA

Isn't that top end speed? No one skates with an average speed over 22 mph. It's just not possible as it is only possible to achieve speed like that when skating on a clean breakout or breakaway

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Isn't that top end speed? No one skates with an average speed over 22 mph. It's just not possible as it is only possible to achieve speed like that when skating on a clean breakout or breakaway
You are correct, my mistake

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s probably looking for term.

I’d rather take Conor Gallagher off Vancouvers hands since they can’t keep everyone if we want a speedy quick guy. Might even get them to retain some salary.
Would rather for "free" through UFA than giving an asset for Garland, even if it's a small one.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Figure if nothing else it gives an idea of players speed

Dakota JoshuaLeague averagePercentile
Top Skating Speed (mph)21.4122.1Below 50th
Speed Bursts Over 20 mph3373Below 50th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad