Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Necas is a right winger.

Likely would play with Marchand & Coyle.
They may see if they can get him back on track at Center. personally, I go for the carolina Necas package more than a Ottawa Chychrun package (assuming both are actually feasible).

I will say you will probably see more ullmark stuff start to pop up in the media, Someone is going to leak stuff to keep his value higher.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Necas is a good piece, but not enough of a player to be 1C in Boston.

Marchessault is a player I really like. But it would really be a win for those that think Don is turning the Bruins into the Canadians. Boston would pay a premium for a proven scorer that STILL needs a good 1C in Boston to produce like he has been in Vegas. He will be getting a big raise over what he is making now and Sweeney would be paying a premium for a player almost Marchands age.

I think Don will concentrate on getting the now and future 1C while simultaneously offering Ullmark. Once that is resolved, one way or another, he can then look at filling holes in other needs like wing scoring.

If we lose our UFAs we need to fill those holes. Don may try to gamble on Peeke being our Forbort replacement. Lysell can step in for Jake(on paper, not solid on his NHL readiness, if you are then convince me) and they can player roster blender with Zacha, Frederick, and Geekie on wing. Poitras I expect to have a big year, I am willing to lay down some investment that we got a special player in the kid as long as he can stay healthy.

1: Sign Swayman
2: Get a 1C or commit to punting until the trade deadline and trying again for this year. If not then next summer.
3: Get a consistent proven scorer on the wing.
4: Move Ullmark in a bid for the previous 2 items or if you cant move him for futures and cap space.
5: Get affordable physical depth D if the cap still has room.
6: Dont go to the cap limit this year(I expect this is an easy one for Don after struggling with it last season)

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
For 5 NHL seasons he's been a RW.

Last year he played some center due to injuries.

His faceoff percentage in the NHL is 41%.

8 Canes took more faceoffs than he did last season.

That's fine. You can say he projects more as a RW in the NHL and that is certainly a case for not pursuing him OR not getting him and using him as your second line RW. But he played center for the majority of his career before the NHL and was drafted as a center. All his draft and scouting notes had him as a center.

The faceoffs are concerning. I can't fathom another post Bergeron season where we're that bad at faceoffs. Hard to win games when you never start with the puck.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's fine. You can say he projects more as a RW in the NHL and that is certainly a case for not pursuing him OR not getting him and using him as your second line RW. But he played center for the majority of his career before the NHL and was drafted as a center. All his draft and scouting notes had him as a center.

The faceoffs are concerning. I can't fathom another post Bergeron season where we're that bad at faceoffs. Hard to win games when you never start with the puck.

It's been 5 seasons. That not projection anymore. Its where he plays.

I'd love it if they could sign Necas. Second line right winger with a wicked shot.

Reactions: Tommy Tubs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins absolutely need to get faster up front. But if they let 27-year old Debrusk walk and hand over a significant deal to a 33-year old Marchessault, they need their heads examined. They don't even get any faster in that move. Just smaller and older with a commitment likely into later years than Debrusk.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That's a great replacement idea for Jake. Him and Marchand on the same line would be hilarious to watch, both skilled and both play bigger than they are.
He’s probably looking for term.

I’d rather take Conor Gallagher off Vancouvers hands since they can’t keep everyone if we want a speedy quick guy. Might even get them to retain some salary.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bruins absolutely need to get faster up front. But if they let 27-year old Debrusk walk and hand over a significant deal to a 33-year old Marchessault, they need their heads examined. They don't even get any faster in that move. Just smaller and older with a commitment likely into later years than Debrusk.

Smaller, older and much better.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not on Cap Friendly.

Listed as RW.

Hockey Reference also lists Jake Guenzel as a center.
1716562559509.png

Has he ever played Center?

LOL, Jake N' Bake

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
For 5 NHL seasons he's been a RW.

Last year he played some center due to injuries.

His faceoff percentage in the NHL is 41%.

8 Canes took more faceoffs than he did last season.
If he has been playing RW for the last 5 seasons I wouldn’t think he would have taken that many face offs would he?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I'd love it if they could sign Necas. Second line right winger with a wicked shot.

It's not unfathomable to think that his previous draft prowess as a center could still translate in the NHL. The Canes have had several talented top-6 centers and playing Necas in the bottom-6 just to play him at center seems a waste. But I don't disagree, 5 years at RW is telling and that may be where he belongs.

I'd go hard after him if they like him at center. If they like him at wing, then he's my second get. They cannot go another season with Coyle and Zacha/Geekie as your two top-6 centers. To me, that's the priority.

Trade Ullmark, re-sign Swayman, get and sign Necas, Lindholm, and another D. Sounds like a plan to me.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Good point.

Reactions: BruinDust

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

So we have Bruins fans (not implying you) that say Zacha needs to move to LW even though he's played most of his NHL career at center and is 52.7% at the dot since joining the Bruins. To address our center problem we're going to add a guy who hasn't played much center in the NHL and is terrible in the dot.

Meanwhile I mention Stamkos (whose a monster in the dot) and the first comments people gave me (again not saying you) are that he's a LW not a center. Seems like the idea of Necas at center is some folks dreaming that the stars align and we look smarter than Carolina for letting him play center.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Post is spot on. I'd add to it that I'm not opposed to giving him a look at center, but I'm not penciling him into a top 6 center role and building my off-season around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad