2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I mean sure but every team is eyeing this type of deal
How many teams are able to deal from such a position of strength where they can afford to toss a 2C to the Hawks and have another center ready to move up into that role while also needing a defensive PROSPECT? It's pretty much just talking about Frost. I'm sure Detroit isn't giving up Marco Kasper. Anyone else that might have something like that is a playoff team or in the Western Conference and probably not interested in swapping prospects.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I don't see why we'd be looking for a 2C for the future.

We already have Nazar, Moore, Boisvert (Musto's fav), and Greene who could potentially fit there long term. We're also likely drafting high next year, so we could realistically be adding any one of Hagens, Frondell, Misa, McQueen, Ryabkin.

We need wingers for the future, not centers. Also, wingers cost a shit ton less to acquire.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Korchinski for Shane Wright? They're both underachieving.

If Kyle was really cool, he'd swing Korchinski+ for Fantilli
Seattle already signed Mahura and Montour on defense in the offseason and I doubt they want the optics of giving up on their first ever pick. I haven't watched them, but their lineup I'm looking at says Wright is their top line center with Beniers as their 2C. If that's the case, they're probably trying to make it work with Wright rather than giving up on him.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

We already have Nazar, Moore, Boisvert (Musto's fav), and Greene who could potentially fit there long term. We're also likely drafting high next year, so we could realistically be adding any one of Hagens, Frondell, Misa, McQueen, Ryabkin.

We need wingers for the future, not centers. Also, wingers cost a shit ton less to acquire.
Centers can always move to wing.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

Those are all POSSIBLE, not probable, solutions for 2+ years from now. They need to generate more offense now and in the nearer future.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Again

Morgan Frost fits this and again Torts has put him in doghouse

Frost getting out of Philly would be best for his career and Frost as our #2C for now would be major upgrade and would mean there is no rush to push Nazer into role until he is ready

Question is what could we offer Flyers that fits value wise from Hawks end and need from Flyer end?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Oliver Moore is just Andrew Cogliano. Good third liner eventually but nothing more. Which makes Davidson borderline crying over him at the draft hilarious.

belfour30

Blackhawks Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Korchinski for Shane Wright? They're both underachieving.
I have thought of that exact trade recently, but I don't think that it would work, as I don't think it fits the needs of the Kraken.
However.....maybe Nazar for Wright?

Probably good news for Blackhawks' fans. We all remember your Brandon Hagel take.
yeah, that was a bad one.

Nazar could still be a useful player but I don't think he's going to explode or anything.

Reactions: Pez68

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Centers can always move to wing.
But centers cost MORE than wingers. Why go after a center, pay a premium for them, just so you can move one of the kids off to the wings?
Those are all POSSIBLE, not probable, solutions for 2+ years from now. They need to generate more offense now and in the nearer future.
I don't give a shit about offense now. We're not competing now, are we?

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Who do the Hawks have that they could trade for nhl-ready talent, especially a difference-making second liner center? Wouldn't it have to be a vet? My guess is the management is manipulating Kurashev, Reichel and Nazar to see what more they can get out of them.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
But centers cost MORE than wingers. Why go after a center, pay a premium for them, just so you can move one of the kids off to the wings?

I don't give a shit about offense now. We're not competing now, are we?
Right, always good to just expect prospects to hit their high end projection years from now and ignore any other way to improve the team in the meantime.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Right, always good to just expect prospects to hit their high end projection years from now and ignore any other way to improve the team in the meantime.
The Hawks have drafted a center not named Bedard in the first round of each of the last three drafts. If none of those players can, at worst, be a mediocre 2C behind Bedard in the near future, then management f***ed up royally. Not to mention the smorgasbord of picks in later rounds.

That's not even going into the possibility that the Hawks use a likely top 10 pick in 2025 on a center. Out of the top 7 or so players expected to go first in the draft (obviously it's still real early), only one is a defenseman and one is a winger.

Nevermind the fact that the two most costly assets to acquire in this league are top 6 centers and top 4 RHDs. No team is selling a young 2C for peanuts. And we'd be pissing away assets in the hopes that the player we acquire wouldn't be taking a spot away from a kid who'd be capable of filling that role in a year or two.

As I stated earlier, who cares about the current offense?!? The players? Sure. Richardson? I'm sure he hopes so for the sake of his career. But management, and us fans, should be well aware that adding a somewhat significant piece this season, which a 2C would be, would hurt our chances at drafting high again in June. This team is doing what Davidson wants, it's competing, allowing most of the kids to grow and prosper in Rockford, and the lack of offense is keeping us in the hunt for a strong pickup at the 2025 draft.

I legit do not see the reason to go after a 2C right now. If you can find a guy cheap who you see as an option there, fine. But don't piss away a piece of the future for current, and modest, gains.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad