2024-25 Roster…too soon?

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The cap really doesn’t get noticeably tighter though. There’s 22 million coming off the cap this year and 28 million the year after with the cap continuing to increase.

Let’s say Bedard comes in at around 11-12, there’s still a ton of room to play with, and a lot of the replacements will be cheap depth. There’s also no else to really pay at this current time.

Also Murphy is 100% going to be an Oilers by the deadline.
I'm not worried about the cap, but buying a player out who'll be off the books by the time Bedard needs to be re-signed is still a waste.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
The cap really doesn’t get noticeably tighter though. There’s 22 million coming off the cap this year and 28 million the year after with the cap continuing to increase.

Let’s say Bedard comes in at around 11-12, there’s still a ton of room to play with, and a lot of the replacements will be cheap depth. There’s also no else to really pay at this current time.

Also Murphy is 100% going to be an Oilers by the deadline.
Bedard is going to sign for $9.8 million just like the Kid!

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Murphy is the type of guy you could get good value for at half price for no reason whatsoever besides he fits some teams defensive RHD narrative.

Same with Hall. The name brand product that people will do mental gymnastics for despite him being beyond his expiration.

Should be a lucrative TDL actually
Let's just hope for health as both guys were hurt at last year's deadline. Problem is I don't really want any 2nds, 3rds, or middling prospects in return. Could they help and be more valuable down the line than Murphy, Hall, Martinez, Donato, Smith, Maroon, etc? Sure

But what this team needs is young high end talent up front and the only way I see them getting that is either top 10 draft picks, free agency, or getting lucky being at the right place at the right time when a superstar demands a trade.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't see an issue with more 2nd-3rd round picks. It's not like the Hawks have a bunch stocked up for future drafts already. By the time those picks are AHL ready, the current batch of recent picks from those rounds will be post-ELC/waiver exempt. A lot of teams end up stocking their contract spots that end up in the AHL with a bunch of random non-waiver exempt 2-way players, you'd always *rather* have real prospects if you can.

Between 3 year ELCs and then bridge deals typically only being like 2 years, you basically are always going to have a never-ending need for more cheap depth, if you're in a spot to be able to build for it in future years, it's a good thing to take advantage of imo.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't see an issue with more 2nd-3rd round picks. It's not like the Hawks have a bunch stocked up for future drafts already. By the time those picks are AHL ready, the current batch of recent picks from those rounds will be post-ELC/waiver exempt. A lot of teams end up stocking their contract spots that end up in the AHL with a bunch of random non-waiver exempt 2-way players, you'd always *rather* have real prospects if you can.

Between 3 year ELCs and then bridge deals typically only being like 2 years, you basically are always going to have a never-ending need for more cheap depth, if you're in a spot to be able to build for it in future years, it's a good thing to take advantage of imo.
A portion of them will amount to nothing too so it doesn't hurt to have a consistent pipeline coming to replace the ones that don't pan out

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hall and Murphy are definitely the two most obvious trade candidates.

Maybe Martinez if he's healthy.

Donato, Maroon, Smith, meh.

Athanasiou the Hawks would probably have to give the other team $4 million of cap space...

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
That's just basic roster churning with no further discussion needed since those moves are obvious--what about Kurashev? He's a decent player, but I don't know about re-upping him when a Rockford call-up could probably replace his role.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's just basic roster churning with no further discussion needed since those moves are obvious--what about Kurashev? He's a decent player, but I don't know about re-upping him when a Rockford call-up could probably replace his role.
I'd probably look to sign him to a 3-4 year deal. Something fair to cover prime years (26-27-28, maybe 29). No need to go crazy and try and lock him up for 8 years but I wouldn't just move him out just because someone might be as good in a couple years. I don't think anyone is going to be tripping over themselves to send something massive the Hawks way.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Should we be trying to sign the Brocks this offseason?

Boeser and Nelson?

High AVV low years Nelson can play center with Nazar on the wing for a couple years.

Boeser right wing for a while on Bedard and Tuevo line

MHO

Sep 27, 2023

I agree that having more 2nd and 3rd round picks is better than having less and as we have to start paying guys after their ELCs and bridge contracts expire, we'll need a consistent pipeline of guys to fill the middle and bottom of the roster as the salary structure gets more top heavy....BUT DAMNIT I WANT RANTANEN NOW!!!

Regarding what to do with Kurashev, he's restricted with arbitration and what he does this season will dictate what happens. If he finishes the season with ~50 points playing a mix of center and wing in the top 6 with defensive reliability, he has a lot of value to this team. He'll know that and that would be valuable to other teams as well and he might demand $5M a year. I think I'd give him 4X5 or something especially with the cap increasing each year.

GIADF

Deputy Mod.
Aug 17, 2024
Should we be trying to sign the Brocks this offseason?

Boeser and Nelson?

High AVV low years Nelson can play center with Nazar on the wing for a couple years.

Boeser right wing for a while on Bedard and Tuevo line

Meh... Boeser even before his blood clot issues always seemed injury prone. Not super interested in him and the other Brock is too old. Time to go big game hunting for Rantanen or even Marner who would be a great fit on Bedard's line and their styles would really complement each other.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
team with the third worst FO% in the nhl scratches the guy who had the best FO% of any player who took more than one faceoff last game because he was a -2 with 2 PIM's and had a shot blocked lmao.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't wanna act as if they're difference makers but Kurashev and Anderson should be in that lineup if healthy. They're easily better than Athanasiou, Maroon and Smith, maybe better than Mikheyev as well. My guess is they're not 100% healthy. Anderson missed a game with a sickness at least. If they're healthy scratches then that would be curious unless they missed a team meeting or something like that.

GIADF

Deputy Mod.
Aug 17, 2024
AA goes from being scratched for the opener to 2C himself might be the most offensive part about this shake up. Speechless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad