2024-25 Roster…too soon?

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
He was a candidate as much as anyone on waivers at any point. I read The Athletic article too and like I said, it was a narrative in Blackhawks media and fans that he was likely to be claimed. I just don't get it. You look around the league and every team has a guy like Phillips. I could see, later in the year, if he's put on waivers and another team has injuries, you could lose him. He's a depth piece. Like when the Hawks picked up Megna and Tinordi in previous years. But I don't think you're claiming Phillips bc of some perceived untapped upside, which to me, is why you'd put in a claim just before the season starts with a healthy group.
I don't think it's accurate to say every team has an Isaak Phillips. Not to say he's this rare gem, but again, he's young and has size GMs covet. Other teams might have that same type of player, but 3 years older. Or that type of player, but one that is able to still be sent down and potentially improve. He's not a top 4 guy, likely never will be, but he does hold some value.

A lot of reasons to think he could've been picked up. There were also a lot of reasons to think he wouldn't, mainly that he hasn't shown enough in his limited time up here.

Either way, it wouldn't have hurt any of us too bad if he was picked up (outside of Courtney, who would go on a rampage of some sort), but I think we'd all rather he stayed put and not lose an asset, even a low valued one, for nothing.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
IP just turned 23 last week 6-3 205 and can skate. It feels like you never know when or If a D is going to really put it all together. Every team likes d with some size that can skate. for every D that we feel like they are ready to make a jump only a few do most don't. im happy we have him for 1 more year of development.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was a candidate as much as anyone on waivers at any point. I read The Athletic article too and like I said, it was a narrative in Blackhawks media and fans that he was likely to be claimed. I just don't get it. You look around the league and every team has a guy like Phillips. I could see, later in the year, if he's put on waivers and another team has injuries, you could lose him. He's a depth piece. Like when the Hawks picked up Megna and Tinordi in previous years. But I don't think you're claiming Phillips bc of some perceived untapped upside, which to me, is why you'd put in a claim just before the season starts with a healthy group.
Not quite sure the narrative you're suggesting actually existed. All I see is one guy basically regurgitating what Richardson also said, which may have originated with Davidson, and the rest of your post is basically saying the logic behind putting him on Waivers at the end of Training Camp rather than waiting a bit for Kaiser to come back and there's more reason he could get claimed.

It's just one of those at the margin asset management things, it's nice he made it through and has likely another year in the Hawks org to see if there's any medium to long future with the team there.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Luke and Kyle don't want to lose players but that's not what I meant. The narrative within the Blackhawks media/twitterverse was that Phillips was highly likely to be claimed if put on waivers and I don't get why anyone would have thought that. He's just an organizational depth piece. He doesn't look like an everyday NHL player.
My original post of the tweet was more focused on the 30 days to assign Phillips to Rockford.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
So does Bedard score 50 this year? How has he looked in preseason I wonder
Not amazing. His playmaking has been on display more than anything.

But his only goal last year in the preseason was an empty netter. And he's historically been a slow starter, so it's not totally unexpected that he's been unimpressive so far.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not amazing. His playmaking has been on display more than anything.

But his only goal last year in the preseason was an empty netter. And he's historically been a slow starter, so it's not totally unexpected that he's been unimpressive so far.

Yeah I just wanna see him start torching goalies with that crazy shot of his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad