Prospect Info: 2024-25 Prospect Thread

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Isles handled last year poorly for this kid.

He came over from Russia to play at UConn so clearly he wanted to make it in the NHL. Considering the production on the Isles’ bottom 6, a cup of coffee on the Island during the regular season would’ve been the right move. Alternatively, they could’ve traded him for another asset.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Frankly, I always felt his size would hold him back from succeeding in the NHL. Bad asset management when it’s all said and done.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

He came over from Russia to play at UConn so clearly he wanted to make it in the NHL. Considering the production on the Isles’ bottom 6, a cup of coffee on the Island during the regular season would’ve been the right move. Alternatively, they could’ve traded him for another asset.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Frankly, I always felt his size would hold him back from succeeding in the NHL. Bad asset management when it’s all said and done.
The bad asset management was drafting him

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think those of us who have chimed in are all in agreement. I have consistently said in the past that his game would likely not translate to today’s NHL.

My point is that this is a kid who performed well on a shit AHL team and then never got a call up on a team starving for speed, youth and goal scoring. He’s Russian so you’d have to think he’s not gonna stick it out here until the bitter end. No great loss but either give him a shot or recoup a minor asset for him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Iskhakov couldn't score at 5 on 5 in the AHL. Watching him get bounced around and end up on his butt in the NHL was painful to see. Better to find out now than to invest more money and time on him.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Iskhakov couldn't score at 5 on 5 in the AHL. Watching him get bounced around and end up on his butt in the NHL was painful to see. Better to find out now than to invest more money and time on him.

Exactly. People complain that we didn't cut bait on players like MDC and Bellows soon enough, but when the team moves on quickly from Ish, the team gets criticized for not giving him a chance. I think it was pretty apparent from his time here that he wasn't going to be able to cut it. He'll have a fine career in Europe, so no one needs to shed any tears for him.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Isles have signed Fredrik Karlstrom and Marc Gatcomb.
Karlstrom, a 25-year-old center, has agreed to terms on a one-year, one-way contract, worth $775K. Adding a player such as Karlstrom isn't much of a surprise, but what is a bit shocking is that he was added on a one-way deal.
Gatcomb also agreed to a one-year contract worth $775K with the Islanders, but he is on a two-way deal and can pass between Long Island and Bridgeport.

The 6'2" 200 lbs forward played four years at UCONN before signing with the Vancouver Canucks in 2022 as a free agent. He played most of his two seasons in the AHL with the Abbotsford Canucks, totaling 28 points in (12 G, 16 A) in 106 games

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The Isles didn't tell him to leave UCONN and go play in Finland, although that was during the pandemic and he definitely got a lot more playing time there that season than he'd have gotten by sticking around in the shortened college season.

And they certainly didn't tell him to follow that by playing in the German DEL. That shocked many as it's considered a step down, even if the team he signed with was one of the best on paper and was playing in the Champions Hockey League, which was of importance in his decision.

Once the Isles got him over to Bridgeport, he was more professionally developed than most prospects his age.

He has since be spoonfed with prime minutes on the farm, even if for a team that has been lousy. This past season, he got to pretty much be the go-to guy.

We don't know if he's signing with the KHL team yet, but I'm not sure how the Isles handled him poorly?

He's always been a headstrong prospect (already played in Slovakia as a teenager and had made an early decision to leave Eastern Europe to play college hockey). He's really a young man of the world. I mean, in his own right, he's very unique, good with languages, and is always ready to not be static.

And I think that's what we'll be seeing if he jumps over to the KHL.

His camp will be seeing another season with this organization without a guaranteed NHL spot as being static. And there ain't no way you can tell him right now that he's an everyday NHLer.

I'll say this - we retain his rights until he's 27. Probably the best thing that could happen, if indeed his jumps over, is for him to have an absolutely killer season in the KHL. I mean, let's hope he'd go 20-45-65 and be a key figure.

Because that'll mean that either he's taking that next step to truly being an option for us or he's turning himself into a more pliable trading chip.

He'll be 24 in two weeks.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Isles didn't tell him to leave UCONN and go play in Finland, although that was during the pandemic and he definitely got a lot more playing time there that season than he'd have gotten by sticking around in the shortened college season.

And they certainly didn't tell him to follow that by playing in the German DEL. That shocked many as it's considered a step down, even if the team he signed with was one of the best on paper and was playing in the Champions Hockey League, which was of importance in his decision.

Once the Isles got him over to Bridgeport, he was more professionally developed than most prospects his age.

He has since be spoonfed with prime minutes on the farm, even if for a team that has been lousy. This past season, he got to pretty much be the go-to guy.

We don't know if he's signing with the KHL team yet, but I'm not sure how the Isles handled him poorly?

He's always been a headstrong prospect (already played in Slovakia as a teenager and had made an early decision to leave Eastern Europe to play college hockey). He's really a young man of the world. I mean, in his own right, he's very unique, good with languages, and is always ready to not be static.

And I think that's what we'll be seeing if he jumps over to the KHL.

His camp will be seeing another season with this organization without a guaranteed NHL spot as being static. And there ain't no way you can tell him right now that he's an everyday NHLer.

I'll say this - we retain his rights until he's 27. Probably the best thing that could happen, if indeed his jumps over, is for him to have an absolutely killer season in the KHL. I mean, let's hope he'd go 20-45-65 and be a key figure.

Because that'll mean that either he's taking that next step to truly being an option for us or he's turning himself into a more pliable trading chip.

He'll be 24 in two weeks.
Insightful info. Thanks for the reply.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
4 of our boys are there:

1720209710213.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad