2024-25: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I’ve watched this gif like 20 times trying to make sense of it. Batter held up and then took a practice cut a second after the catcher got the ball. Wonder if a hit and run was on and he just remembered lol
Hit and run on an unhittable pitch. Some coaches are really particular about batters swinging no matter where the pitch is.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"I thought Grans would be better. I was wrong"

He never watched a minute of Grans in his life when he made that comment. He couldn't differentiate Helge Grans from Ariana Grande. This happens litrilllly every time he debates prospects. The guys who watch these players are the ones who get lectured.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I find it amazing that Rizzo isn't on the team. We all have our guys, and everyone knows I've been paid attention to Rizzo quite a bit last year....But he was electric on one of the best college teams last year, and deserves a real chance to show what he's got.
Maybe he was injured, but he showed nothing in camp.

A 23 year old player with 3 years of college under his belt should flash something, especially in the early exhibition games when you're going against AHL types.

The fact that he has yet to dress after 8 games suggests some sort of physical issue.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

A 23 year old player with 3 years of college under his belt should flash something, especially in the early exhibition games when you're going against AHL types.

The fact that he has yet to dress after 8 games suggests some sort of physical issue.
It was his first skating since his high ankle sprain at the end of last season— he had not skated for the last few weeks of the season, and played wing in a much reduced role in the NCAA Final.

I suspect there’s an injury as well.

Reactions: renberg

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Or just bad coaching. Hence Boulton in the lineup.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He never watched a minute of Grans in his life when he made that comment. He couldn't differentiate Helge Grans from Ariana Grande. This happens litrilllly every time he debates prospects. The guys who watch these players are the ones who get lectured.
I trust people like Wheeler and Appleyard.
The people on this board I read, but I take into account their prejudices (people here would like to build a high scoring finesse team that can't play defense).

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
but I take into account their prejudices (people here would like to build a high scoring finesse team that can't play defense).

Ok, so one thing I don't understand with this is how you reconcile how excited some of us get about physical football and basketball players when they're good. I just spent the better part of 2 years talking about how much I wanted guys like Cooper DeJean and Jared Verse on the Eagles. Those are downright violent football players.

As always, the problem is not with building a physical team. It's when physicality is higher in the decision tree than general aptitude.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ok, so one thing I don't understand with this is how you reconcile how excited some of us get with about physical football and basketball players when they're good. I just spent the better part of 2 years talking about how much I wanted guys like Cooper DeJean and Jared Verse on the Eagles. Those are downright violent football players.

As always, the problem is not with building a physical team. It's when physicality is higher in the decision tree than general aptitude.
They haven't drafted those kinds of players.
In fact going through drafts under Flahr, then Briere/Flahr, if anything they've been too small.

2019: Attard #72
2020: Foerster #23
2021: none
2022: Gauthier #5, Kaplan #69, McDonald #165
2023: Southeran #135, Mann #199
2024: Berglund #51, Gill #59, Powell #148, Moline #205
Of this group, only Kaplan, McDonald, Southeran, Mann and Powell would be considered "physical" picks.
The other big players were skilled players who happened to be big.

Hathaway is a physical player, but he's also in the top 1/3 of the NHL in terms of speed.
Seeler is physical, but also the top shot blocker in the NHL, has average speed and is a reliable veteran defenseman.

They're certainly not emphasizing size.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Camp means nothing. Actual games do.

If the Flyers are actually basing their choices on practice performance and not game performance (and it sure seems they do!) then it is one of the many, many reasons they remain bad forever.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone has prejudices, Wheeler and Appleyard included. So do you.
Sure. I'm skeptical of undersized offense first players who won't work on defense.
I value hockey IQ and two way play over pure offense.
I value work ethic with regards to increasing the odds of achieving a player's upside.
I like fast physical players for the bottom six.
I like big D-men with an edge who are mobile enough not to get caught up ice and can make that first pass out of the D-zone.

Everyone loves a Michkov, but them are rare commodities.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
They haven't drafted those kinds of players.
In fact going through drafts under Flahr, then Briere/Flahr, if anything they've been too small.

2019: Attard #72
2020: Foerster #23
2021: none
2022: Gauthier #5, Kaplan #69, McDonald #165
2023: Southeran #135, Mann #199
2024: Berglund #51, Gill #59, Powell #148, Moline #205
Of this group, only Kaplan, McDonald, Southeran, Mann and Powell would be considered "physical" picks.
The other big players were skilled players who happened to be big.

Hathaway is a physical player, but he's also in the top 1/3 of the NHL in terms of speed.
Seeler is physical, but also the top shot blocker in the NHL, has average speed and is a reliable veteran defenseman.

They're certainly not emphasizing size.

I'm not talking about the Flyers. This is about how we discuss related topics.

The point here is that wanting them to make specific draft choices or get Zellwegger instead of Drysdale is a player evaluation before style. Or at least it should be if it's done right. Sometimes that means smaller guys, but again it's about the player and not building a small finesse team. The discussion as usually presented here is really BPA vs need, not what kind of team you want.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure. I'm skeptical of undersized offense first players who won't work on defense.

These are the players that you slam the hardest because the team can't identify or handle them and you have to defend them.

I value work ethic with regards to increasing the odds of achieving a player's upside.
I like big D-men with an edge who are mobile enough not to get caught up ice and can make that first pass out of the D-zone.

You really ought to be slamming the shit out of management for building a team nothing like what you prefer, then. Instead of defending everything, much of which goes against your stated ideals. Why don't you?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
These are the players that you slam the hardest because the team can't identify or handle them and you have to defend them.

You really ought to be slamming the shit out of management for building a team nothing like what you prefer, then. Instead of defending everything, much of which goes against your stated ideals. Why don't you?
Why bother when we have you on the board? :laugh:

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I find it amazing that Rizzo isn't on the team. We all have our guys, and everyone knows I've been paid attention to Rizzo quite a bit last year....But he was electric on one of the best college teams last year, and deserves a real chance to show what he's got.
Not a torts guy you know

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Dude, I would love at team full of 6'4" giants who can play effectively. Size can be a real advantage -- there's no denying that. But sometimes it means you'd rather have a Hagg, DeLo, Laughton, EJ, type player -- players who absolutely hurt your team, instead of a player like Lycksell who may or may not hurt you long term. Player evaluation is not binary, and you're not right just because you think you are, just like I'm not right just because I think I am.

Reactions: Magua and renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dude, I would love at team full of 6'4" giants who can play effectively. Size can be a real advantage -- there's no denying that. But sometimes it means you'd rather have a Hagg, DeLo, Laughton, EJ, type player -- players who absolutely hurt your team, instead of a player like Lycksell who may or may not hurt you long term. Player evaluation is not binary, and you're not right just because you think you are, just like I'm not right just because I think I am.
Balance and role.

I love McDonald in the 6th rd, big mobile D-man, all he has to do is defend, make exit passes, don't get caught out of position. Take him in the 2nd and it's a reach. Same reason I hope Sotheran can get past his heart condition.

Laughton was an offense first pick, he's actually a solid LW but isn't good enough on defense for center given his middle of the road offense. A reach at #20, but fine end of 1st/early 2nd.

I would have been fine with Buium, so far, from what I've seen, I'm fine with Luchanko. Both premium positions.

I'm happy with York b/c he continues to improve, a #2 D-man is valuable.
Caufield is a very good goal scorer, but a role player, not a core player, kind you add when you're already competitive and want to add some offensive punch you can shelter.

Starting to think we underestimate TK, he's the kind of "small" player I love, gritty, high motor, imagine his scoring the last few years with a 1C. Wish he was more responsible defensively, but not for lack of trying, just gets too aggressive at times. That contract is a risk, but he's a legitimate 1st line forward, they're expensive to sign and hard to draft.

Risto has really improved, CF was right to target him, wrong to overpay. These are the guys you pick up cheap and hope you can coach up. You don't pay for what a player could become, b/c the odds are usually against them turning it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad