2024-25: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Considering the team has a week to decide if they want him to be the backup before he heads back to Europe, and how bad Fedotov has been, I'm surprised Kolosov hasn't been called up.

Much of the time they haven't been able to get a good player inside of the first round either :laugh:
Outside of the Hextall whiffs with O’Brien, Rubstov, and Patrick (kinda extenuating circumstances though depending on their medical findings pre-draft) the Flyers have generally gotten acceptable value given their draft position. The jury is still out on guys like Foerster and York but they are at least NHL players. You’re not likely to get a star drafting in the teens or 20’s where the Flyers have mostly been picking over the years. Lots of draft picks in the later half of the 1st are literal who’s a decade later

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
The Flyers pipeline will almost certainly jump up in the rankings after next draft especially if this season continues as it’s been. There is a chance to have 5(?) picks in the top 40. What has absolutely killed the Flyers is that they’ve never been able to get a “good” player outside of the 1st round
Nick Cousins
Anthony Stolarz
Shayne Gostisbehere
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Oskar Lindblom
Carter Hart
Noah Cates
Samuel Ersson
Bobby Brink
Emil Andrae
Yegor Zavragin
Denver Barkey

Depends on your definition of 'good' but it's not entirely true this team has "never" been able to get a "good" player outside the 1st. Maybe you meant to say "elite" or "top of the lineup" player which is different. Especially if you were to compare us to the gold standard of drafting, Dallas Stars:

Esa Lindell
Nick Paul
Roope Hintz
Jake Oettinger
Jason Robertson
Logan Stankoven

All things considered though even they have had some really off draft years as well outside the first round:

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Nick Cousins
Anthony Stolarz
Shayne Gostisbehere
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Oskar Lindblom
Carter Hart
Noah Cates
Samuel Ersson
Bobby Brink
Emil Andrae
Yegor Zavragin
Denver Barkey

Depends on your definition of 'good' but it's not entirely true this team has "never" been able to get a "good" player outside the 1st. Maybe you meant to say "elite" or "top of the lineup" player which is different. Especially if you were to compare us to the gold standard of drafting, Dallas Stars:

Esa Lindell
Nick Paul
Roope Hintz
Jake Oettinger
Jason Robertson
Logan Stankoven

All things considered though even they have had some really off draft years as well outside the first round:

By “good” I mean like top 6 and top 4 caliber. I think there is some level of luck outside the first round and a lot of very good teams manage to get one bonafide difference maker outside of the 1st. Guys like Letang, Keith, Point, Kucherov, Robertson, etc. I know that’s far from the norm but the Flyers haven’t gotten any player even 3 tiers away from that realm. Hart and Ghost were the best but most goalies aren’t drafted in the 1st anyway. I am somewhat optimistic about Barkey but I’m not ready to call that a successful pick yet

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Outside of the Hextall whiffs with O’Brien, Rubstov, and Patrick (kinda extenuating circumstances though depending on their medical findings pre-draft) the Flyers have generally gotten acceptable value given their draft position. The jury is still out on guys like Foerster and York but they are at least NHL players. You’re not likely to get a star drafting in the teens or 20’s where the Flyers have mostly been picking over the years. Lots of draft picks in the later half of the 1st are literal who’s a decade later
Cutter Gauthier in particular seemed like a waste of draft capital at the time, but the jury is still out on him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart and Lindblom were that caliber, some bad luck there.
Zavragin is looking like a massive steal (top 5 KHL goalie at 19).
Need to hit on a few more, but what you really want out of those later picks is organizational depth.

For example, have a draft pick instead of a Gardner (28) on LHV, so there's upside in an injury replacement. Right now, they don't have that outside of Lycksell and Andrae this season, maybe Avon, Tuomaala, Samson, etc. by April. When your AHL affiliate is loaded with young bottom six, third pair types, you have injury insurance. When your AHL affiliate only has AHL+ types (Belpedio, Marody) who are NHL ready you're in trouble.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Cutter Gauthier in particular seemed like a waste of draft capital at the time, but the jury is still out on him.
Yeah I’m not evaluating guys like him, Bonk, Luchanko yet for obvious reasons. I think Cutter has a good shot to develop into a 30 goal top 6 winger. Maybe not what you’d like at 5 overall but far from an all out bust. So far though none of the guys picked from 5-10 have really separated themselves from the pack outside of maybe Pavel M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad