NFL: 2024-25 NFL News, Notes, Other Probably Dumb Stuff and the Like (Bryce Young benched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Chase Daniel is an HFB poster

On a surface level, this makes a bit of sense;

The Rams are probably screwed with Puka/Kupp both out for a bit, already being 0-2 and staring an actual rebuild in the face given Stafford is 36. So in theory it makes sense to get the jump start on it.

Miami obviously needs somebody with Tua being out minimum 6 weeks (if he comes back at all this season) and Stafford would be a perfect replacement since he still has the cannon arm to throw to Tyreek and Waddle deep.

Carolina "wins" by washing their hands of this, getting something resembling value back.

But then reality hits and you have to turn Madden off; The Rams aren't going to trade Stafford (barring something unforseen like him asking for it) for a bust when they can just suck, get a high pick and then take a QB higher in the draft along with keeping Stafford as a mentor to the new guy for the last year of his deal. Miami wouldn't do it because by the looks of it they expect to get Tua back at some point (whether that's smart is neither here or there.) and i'm not 100% sure Carolina would want to do this because trading Young this early is a really bad look for a team that has already let 2 QBs go after awful stints and have them get rehabilitated elsewhere.

Edit: and as GKJ said, money too. Miami has just over 7 million in cap space right now. They would have no way to absorb 40 million dollars of Stafford.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I keep being told the salary cap is merely just a social construct/isn't actually real.

Guess there's only one way to find out. /s :laugh:
So far this season, there is a direct correlation between offensive dominance and 2025 dead cap hit. Coincidence? Or causation?

Okay, maybe it's just that the Saints have come out firing on all cylinders and they're the only data point, but what if it isn't?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems to make sense to spend that amount for insurance? $1-$4 mill policies for 1 or 2 players a year would be like $6 mill on average. That seems like peanuts given the valuation of a NFL team these days. Especially if you just signed the big contract or are in year 2 of it.

Teams with mega billionaire owners should be doing this. $6/7 mill per for a person who has a 11 figure net worth is a drop in the bucket. I can probably understand the lower net worth owners who really only have the NFL team as their main net worth not doing it as they want the extra money.

If you want to win and something goes astray in the year, then if you have the insurance kick in and it saves you $10-15 mill in recovery, you can kick that cap savings to the following season. The current season may be a loss, but you at least can reload for the following year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

Normally i'd say i get it but dude...you played like ass on Sunday.

From what i saw, the Panthers o-line was actually alright. Didn't change the fact Bryce had pisspoor footwork, couldn't hit on the throws that were open and was so obviously playing scared.

Also, maybe don't take the offseason off next time as he spoke of in a quote;

Chase Daniel also did a decent breakdown of why he was benched;

yeah, panthers o-line isn't bad at all. not like last season where they were terrible. and its not like young doesn't have some decent weapons to throw to in johnson and thielen. he isn't good to begin with and now its gotten to his head so he has no confidence. recipe for disaster

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
HC is also probably wanting to see if his offence can actually work with better QB play. Also doesn’t want to lose the locker room with how putrid Young has played.

Everyone knew going in this was a QB development year but they want to see something and so far nothing out of Young.

Kapadia is speculating that it wasn't Canales, it was Tepper, and his point about the timing and Canales' refusal to address Tepper's role in the change does give the idea credence.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There's actually a story going around on that.

And I'm fine with this. It's not like it's actual cap circumvention. These teams are only getting freed up cap space because they lost a player, and it's almost always going to be a player they'd prefer to see on the field vs on IR to free up cap space.

Reactions: LT and Peat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And I'm fine with this. It's not like it's actual cap circumvention. These teams are only getting freed up cap space because they lost a player, and it's almost always going to be a player they'd prefer to see on the field vs on IR to free up cap space.
It’s also completely logical. $3 or 4 mill to insure your QB is single digit % against what the team would owe them.
Basically means the current year is likely a wash but you get to add cap space the following year from the insurance coverage.

Would rather have the player of course but injuries do occur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad