Laval Rocket: 2024-25 Laval Rocket Thread

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
They seem to be looking at a pretty big group of candidates, so the process might be taking a bit longer. Plus, they're probably going to hire the assistants at the same time. That's fine with me, it's an important position with all the prospects who will be graduating in the next few years, might as well make sure they have the best people possible in the role. It's been the M.O. of the organization since HuGo took over, they want to build an all star staff at every level.
I just find it weird that they already hired an assistant coach before they would be looking for head coach candidates.

Id leave it up to the HC to decide on the assistants.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just find it weird that they already hired an assistant coach before they would be looking for head coach candidates.

Well it's not a usual situation where Houle was going to be there for 3 years and then took another opportunity, They were probably pretty far down the hiring process and may have had a pending offer out to someone to replace Buchberger when the Houle piece dropped, rather than rescind they probably went through with that anyway.

I'm sure the new AHL coach will have autonomy to bring in their people to a degree after this season.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well it's not a usual situation where Houle was going to be there for 3 years and then took another opportunity, They were probably pretty far down the hiring process and may have had a pending offer out to someone to replace Buchberger when the Houle piece dropped, rather than rescind they probably went through with that anyway.

I'm sure the new AHL coach will have autonomy to bring in their people to a degree after this season.
And to be honest, pretty sure most of those candidates are very fine with Daniel Jacob. Someone who is respected in the Q and has experience in the AHL.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Serge Aubin
Sylvain Favreau
Gilles Bouchard

Where the 3 finalistes

Gilles Bouchard is not in the race anymore

Aubin refused an offer from the Rocket this week, it would take a better offer to bring him here. Favreau is now considered the favorite.

Stéphane Julien would be the dark horse

An announce should be make at the start of the week, maybe even Monday

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Id leave it up to the HC to decide on the assistants.

You're not wrong that usually, the head coach decides on his assistants.

But you ou have to remember the sequence of events, the only one they were set to replace was Buchberger. He was the only one who left. Houle, Laperriere, Marciano and video coach Juneau were all renewed. But then, Houle left to go to Clarkson. So now there is no head coach, but one assistant is still there (Laperriere).

After that, Daniel Jacob left Syracuse. Either he contacted Laval to show interest or Laval contacted him because they saw an opportunity to bring in someone who not only already coached here, but also didn't want to lose him to another team. So they hired him.

The thing is, the coach will be a rookie coach in the pros. So having him surrounded by guys who have experience being behind a pro hockey bench could help him more than bringing in his own assistants, which btw, would not have been something I'd be against also.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And to be honest, pretty sure most of those candidates are very fine with Daniel Jacob. Someone who is respected in the Q and has experience in the AHL.

I was surprised to hear he left Bouchard, but was glad to have him back as he did a great job with the D imo and I had wondered if maybe he was actually the better coach as clearly in my 20+ years of going to or watching AHL games, their teams were easily among the most structured defensively I have ever seen. Just was so impressed with the job they did in that regard but then you had Dale Weise's comments and clearly there was issues with the vets and I had heard some things on Bouchard from others but either way they did a great job with the defensive side of it whoever was mainly responsible.

The Habs can't f*** around now with development as this is perhaps the most important season upcoming as now you are going to have the bulk of your best prospects at the pro level giving the Habs depth a boost if things go even half of what I think they might. So they need to make sure they have the best people since you are going to need to see where these kids are at and how much can the staff help develop them.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree the feedback from the assistants is needed. Something we have to get for Marty as well.
I just don't know how much tactical input Burrows would have had.
Way back when Hughes told us decisions would be made using group think I'm hoping it will eventually apply to our coaching staff.
I'm a firm believer that coaching has to evolve as the players improve.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just like last year was exciting going into the season with some of the Canadiens' top prospects turning pro in Roy, Mailloux, Dobes, Kidney, as well as Davidson. Farrell and Heineman joined Habs/Laval at the end of the previous season, but last year was their first full season.

This year, we'll have a bunch of those prospects starting their second year + Beck, Mesar, Engstrom, Xhekaj & Tuch.

Then you look at Reinbacher and Hutson, who might be in Laval to start.

You add Gignac, Barré-Boulet, and Dauphin, who are very productive players at the AHL level. Then you add a tough guy in Arseneau, who will protect the prospects. And Wotherspoon, a serious vet presence on D.

If all goes well, health being the main thing, Laval should be a much better team than they were last year.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's going to be the best lineup the Rocket has had to start a season yet, with a heavily revamped coaching staff in place. Lots of intrigue in Laval, that's for sure ! I already know I'll be catching every game I can :D

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really hope Mesar has a great year in Laval, he has been written off by many fans but his skills set is still impressive and it would be a waste if he busted.
We haven't had much luck with late first round picks historically but I am holding out hope for both Mesar and Mailloux.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's going to be the best lineup the Rocket has had to start a season yet, with a heavily revamped coaching staff in place. Lots of intrigue in Laval, that's for sure ! I already know I'll be catching every game I can :D
I want the kids to develop well but what is also important is for the great Laval fans to experience a dominant team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We haven't had much luck with late first round picks historically but I am holding out hope for both Mesar and Mailloux.
Mailloux is not a typical 31st OA pick. Talent-wise, he ranks much higher.

I want the kids to develop well but what is also important is for the great Laval fans to experience a dominant team.
Lane Hutson might have a good chance to win the Calder ........... Cup.

Reactions: Tyson

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I really hope Mesar has a great year in Laval, he has been written off by many fans but his skills set is still impressive and it would be a waste if he busted.
I assume he will have smooth transition to AHL because he can think and execute things at very high speed. Even if I am from Slovakia, I am not a huge fan of Mešár, but the main thing I like about him is the fact that he is clutch. He always surpirsed me at WJC how good he becomes in key moments.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Lions tweet let me think he could head to TR, but I'd probably take him over Jandric in Laval as 7/8D.

3R also tweets the signings of AHL deals that are two-way. We already know that even a player on a one-way AHL deal could still be sent to the ECHL, 3R only announces the two-way AHL deals because there's an ECHL element to the deal.

The only ones signed to two-way AHL deals are Zack Hayes and Israel Misanscum.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
3R also tweets the signings of AHL deals that are two-way. We already know that even a player on a one-way AHL deal could still be sent to the ECHL, 3R only announces the two-way AHL deals because there's an ECHL element to the deal.

The only ones signed to two-way AHL deals are Zack Hayes and Israel Misanscum.
Hunter Jones?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Any idea what the line up will look like?

Assuming Roy, Struble and Hutson in the NHL.

Heineman - Gignac - ABB
Farrell - Dauphin - Mesar
Simoneau - Beck - Davidson
Tuch/Arseneau - Condotta - Xhekaj
Perreault, Kidney, Tuch/Arseneau
ECHL: Beaucage, Novak, Mianscum

Wotherspoon - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Jacobs
Jandric, Sevigny
ECHL: Hayes

Dobes
Hughes
ECHL: Jones

Arseneau plays when you expect rough play (like Belleville), otherwise Tuch is in. If everyone is healthy, wouldn't be opposed to Kidney in the ECHL.

Lots of skill in the top6 and lots of energy and toughness in the bottom 6. Mesar gets his chance, but if he falters, Perreault/Kidney can have their shot too.

Wotherspoon is Mailloux's rear guard when he makes defensive blunders.

Hesitated putting a vet with Reinbacher, but I think him and Engstrom can make a dangerous pairing.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
This is going to be one of the most enjoyable seasons to follow in recent memory.

• NHL team can be cheered for without worrying about ruining the pick and hurting our future outlook. We will still have a high draft pick and add another great prospect to the pool. Not to mention the other picks and more we will acquire from selling.
  • We will see Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, and Beck are various times in the NHL. Maybe even Farrell, Tuch, Heineman, Xhekaj, Dobes etc.
  • Demidov in the KHL/VHL
  • Volokhin in the VHL/KHL
  • Eriksson & Kapanen in the SHL
  • Fowler & Hage in the NCAA
  • Miller & Vecvanags in the QMJHL
  • Mesar, Xhekaj, Tuch, Beck, Engstrom first year in Laval.
  • Khanin in VHL/KHL
  • Konyushkov another year in the KHL
  • Koivu in Liiga
  • Rohrer a bigger role inthe NLA
  • Thorpe and Protz in the OHL
  • Sawyer and Merrill in the BCHL
Laval should be tons of fun to watch grow

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad