Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The bottom line is that both Eakins and Cronin aren’t the answer.

Cronin also being a bad coach doesn’t somehow make Eakins a good one.

The ducks need a proven coach with a track record of performance at the NHL Level - the issue is that it’s hard to get a guy like that to coach a team in a rebuild. This isn’t exactly a highly desirable destination at the moment for coaches with a pedigree. It might be 2 years from now

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Idk off the top of my head, but it’s not Cronin

Fair. I believe any coach would be happy to come here. There is a lot of talent to work with and they will know what the expectations are. I do believe though that if you change away from Cronin this season, the next guy has to have a healthy amount of NHL experience. No more guys that you are giving his first shot or a redemption story like Eakins. NHL pedigree would be a must.

Reactions: MCB and dracom

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

The ducks need a proven coach with a track record of performance at the NHL Level - the issue is that it’s hard to get a guy like that to coach a team in a rebuild. This isn’t exactly a highly desirable destination at the moment for coaches with a pedigree. It might be 2 years from now

I dont know that I agree. If this was a few years ago and the rebuild was just starting I could see your point. But we've got so much talent and the end product *shouldnt* look much different than what we have right now. Its just a matter of the right player usage, right system and getting the young guys over the development hump.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think part of the issue is leadership. I do not mean socially or mentally on or off the ice. I mean the Ducks don't have that dominant player(s) that takes over games and drags the team back in. The Ducks have strong leaders, but not in play.

I think that is a big issue and why missing out some of the big names this summer really hurt. The Ducks need top end talent that is proven and reliable. Specifically, a winger who can score.

Reactions: Frosted Tips

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Under Eakins, both young and vets did improve. Fowler had new career highs in scoring, Des became a PK killer, and Rico was revived after being waived; Terry finally blossomed, Z's offense shined for two consecutive seasons, and Drysdale produced offensively in his rookie season. The one year Eakins had a mostly healthy roster, we were in a playoff atmosphere for the 2021-22 season.

2021-22 Season
  • All-Star break: 3rd in Pacific
  • TDL: 4 pts from 3rd in the Pacific
  • End of season: 23 pts from 3rd in the Pacific
2022-23 Season: PV gave Eakins no defense and no bite over the summer. Strome, Vatrano, and Klingberg were the high-end vets PV brought in. We now know that none of them were top-line players.

2023-24 Season: Cronin was gifted a more talented roster over the summer from FA acquisitions and rookies. The GA improved, but the offense was inept. We were boring on the ice and the record barely improved from the previous season.

2024-25 Season: We've had a rough start to the season, but it's still a small sample. PP coach Clune has been a failure in five games. PK coach Thompson has us at 81.25% PK eff, ranked tied at 14th overall - though, our PK started off hot last year and decayed as the season went.

Cronin soured on me as the year went last year, but I'm willing to give him about half a season to review. I'm also hoping it's just the flu going around as more players are getting it.

Conclusion: With more talent, Eakins was able to produce as well as shown evidence of improvement with players. Cronin with more talent seems to have hit an offensive wall, stifling our youth offensively at forward. Talent matters and it's up to the GM to provide said talents. Then, it's up to the coaches to cultivate that talent into something. If we get a new coach, I don't know if we'll be vying for a playoff contention due to the fact we have a lot of youths still learning to become established and lacking in better quality vets to support the youths. For me, it's year 3 of the reset rebuild. I'm just looking for player improvement and I'm not seeing it in our forwards. Then again, it's only been five games and we need a larger sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad