Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Whether people want to admit it or not Murray was rebuilding. He just didn't tear it down. Are we really surprised that Terry and Z had their best years while the Getzlaf and the team were more competitive? It's not like Getzlaf was that great in his final years. Yes we need the kids to take steps but we're not giving them the tools/support to do so. We were hoping they figure it out on their own in a losing environment. Thats a good strategy?
Killorn, Strome, Gudas, Vatrano, Fowler are all support. They're all veterans who are solid to good players and provide leadership. Yes, it's good strategy. Whether the execution is good remains to be seen.

Reactions: LuGBuG

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Are people forgetting that when Verbeek stepped in, he said we were halfway through the rebuild?
That’s because he knows it’s not going to be received well if he says “buckle in fans, I’m tearing it the f*** down.” Of course he’s going to sugarcoat it, he doesn’t owe the fans his true intentions just because he’s at some pancake breakfast or whatever it is called. Plus, just because we’re halfway through a Murray rebuild doesn’t mean Verbeek is required to pick up where Murray left off. It’s Verbeeks rebuild now, and if it fails it’s 100% on him and he has no one to blame but himself.

Reactions: Deuce22

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
That’s because he knows it’s not going to be received well if he says “buckle in fans, I’m tearing it the f*** down.” Of course he’s going to sugarcoat it, he doesn’t owe the fans his true intentions just because he’s at some pancake breakfast or whatever it is called. Plus, just because we’re halfway through a Murray rebuild doesn’t mean Verbeek is required to pick up where Murray left off. It’s Verbeeks rebuild now, and if it fails it’s 100% on him and he has no one to blame but himself.

What kind of monster doesn't respect the sanctity of a pancake breakfast?

Reactions: MCB and ScarTroy

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If I remember correctly, he said a proper rebuild takes about 5 years. He also said the team has already started the process. I think "half way through" are words he never actually said and just hopeful thinking.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
If Murray was rebuilding, he would not have held on to Hamphus, Rackell, Manson, and a few other guys (probably should add Gibson to that list and maybe Getz too). He held them too long and the ducks: (i) lost a ton of draft capital; and (ii) remained mediocre for 2+ extra years, thereby delaying the rebuild. I'd also note that the Silf and Henrique contracts were overpays at the wrong time.
With Murray it felt more like a retool, and it was working to let us tread water, but not be a contender. And if memory serves we were in an ok position standings wise when verbeek took over.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
What kind of monster doesn't respect the sanctity of a pancake breakfast?

edit - @Terry Yake beat me to it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Are people forgetting that when Verbeek stepped in, he said we were halfway through the rebuild?

I've shared the quote and link several times, but maybe I'm blocked by those posters. I'll shared again, then maybe you can post it and the link without quoting me (because they can't see it).

From Detroit News, Feb 3, 2022:
"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I've shared the quote and link several times, but maybe I'm blocked by those posters. I'll shared again, then maybe you can post it and the link without quoting me (because they can't see it).

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."
So that doesn’t necessarily mean, we’re halfway through (although it could). I tell my kids to not bother me because I’m in the middle of something — meaning I’m doing a thing — without trying to imply that I am literally halfway through. Not that his later moves didn’t set the rebuild back some but he might just have meant, this team is already rebuilding.

It’s annoying but in general I don’t think it’s all that useful to parse his words too closely because he’s not a careful speaker. Take his words more as a general gist and then we can kind of assess what he does and read the tea leaves that way. Like overcooking prospects - he says he prefers it but then he throws prospects into the fray all the time, except Carlsson anyway. So maybe the preference is real but his override condition for that preference is so low that it’s like, who cares if that’s what you prefer? It’s not how you govern.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
So that doesn’t necessarily mean, we’re halfway through (although it could). I tell my kids to not bother me because I’m in the middle of something — meaning I’m doing a thing — without trying to imply that I am literally halfway through. Not that his later moves didn’t set the rebuild back some but he might just have meant, this team is already rebuilding.

It’s annoying but in general I don’t think it’s all that useful to parse his words too closely because he’s not a careful speaker. Take his words more as a general gist and then we can kind of assess what he does and read the tea leaves that way. Like overcooking prospects - he says he prefers it but then he throws prospects into the fray all the time, except Carlsson anyway. So maybe the preference is real but his override condition for that preference is so low that it’s like, who cares if that’s what you prefer? It’s not how you govern.
Or realize that GM's might say stuff they don't really mean to play to fans and media.

Reactions: duckpuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Whether people want to admit it or not Murray was rebuilding. He just didn't tear it down. Are we really surprised that Terry and Z had their best years while the Getzlaf and the team were more competitive? It's not like Getzlaf was that great in his final years. Yes we need the kids to take steps but we're not giving them the tools/support to do so. We were hoping they figure it out on their own in a losing environment. Thats a good strategy?

Some think a rebuild is must only be a complete teardown. The 2018-19 TDL was the start of the rebuild when Murray took over for RC, shipped D Montour away, and Eakins would the next head coach for the rebuild. Then proceeded to buyout Perry that summer. Kesler and Eaves were medically incapable of playing in 2019-20 season and beyond. Eaves contract ended that season and Kesler's contract ended after 2021-22. That's a lot of top talent gone heading into 2019-20, but we only got a 2019 1st round pick (Tracey) and prospect D Guhle to show for it in the Montour trade. Tracey and Guhle didn't pan out.

We gutted it again at the 2020 TDL and acquired another first round pick (Perreault). In 2021 TDL, I think we were actually quiet.

2021-22 was boon for the Ducks, Z, and Drysdale. We were in a playoff contention and that's with Murray no longer with the team after November! But new GM Verbeek decided he wanted to go into a different direction and got rid of plenty of vets, vets with bite!

2022-23 Z was our best scorer with Z at 65 points and Terry at 61 points. That was under Eakins.

2023-24 Terry had 54 points and Z had 15 points. That was under Cronin. Maybe Cronin's offense is just not conducive to Terry and Z? I do feel terrible for Z and Drysdale because they missed out on training camp. By missing training camp, they both got injured. But that's all on Verbeek for not getting them signed before training camp.

==========================
Murray's draft picks during his rebuild
==========================

2019 draft
Rd 1. C Zegras
Rd 1. LW Tracey (not re-signed)
Rd 2. LD/RD LaCombe (rookie last year)
Rd 4. LD Thrun (traded for 2024 3rd rd pick, which became RW Massé)

2020 draft
Rd 1. RD Drysdale (traded for LW Cutter, Cutter's rookie season will be 2024-25)
Rd 1. RW Perreault (traded away for Mysak)
Rd 2. RW Colangelo (first full pro season will be 2024-25)
Rd 3. RD Moore (still a senior in NCAA)

2021 draft
Rd 1. C McTavish
Rd 2. LD/RD Zellweger (first year pro last year, played 26 NHL games)
Rd 3. LW/RW Pastujov (first year pro last year)
Rd 3. LD/RD Hinds (first year pro last year)
Rd 6. C Kukkonen (junior in college)

As you can see, some prospects take time to get to the NHL level, some prospects get traded, and some don't make it. It's too early to tell for a few of the prospects such as RD Moore, F Pastujov, D Hinds, and C Kukkonen. Then there's also the recent draft pick in RW Massé.

========================
I say development season and you say losing environment, potato... potahto
========================

This is gonna happen in any rebuild, especially if your saviors or stars are coming from your prospect pool. The vets Verbeek have been picking up are all side pieces, not core pieces for the future. We do not possess a top-pairing D on this team at this moment and that's a significant problem. Anaheim has to develop/draft for top pairing. Similarly, our forward lines are missing that top-end line and Anaheim has to develop/draft for one.

I think we have enough assets to see progression this year with the forwards, provided they stay healthy. We know Z is a 60+ point scorer and just needs to be healthy. Z has proven he can overcome losing environment with being so productive (outside of Cronin). Last year, Mac bossed out at ppg rate in a couple of runs (first 20 games and a 9-game set between Feb 13-Mar1), but played through injury after his first 20 games. We're adding a rookie PF in LW Cutter this year. Carlsson will be heading into his 2nd season. I'm excited to see how prospect RW Colangelo develops because he could be a gem that helps to complete our top-6.

Defensively, I'm eager to see the progress made between the three rookies in Minty, LaCombe, and Zell. Gudas and Lyubushkin were the vets last year, but neither one were a top-pairing group. Yet, we did improve our GA at ES play. That's huge! If all three rookies take another step forward, then our defense takes another step forward. We're still waiting on Luneau as he's an X-factor and the Norwegian Nightmare might only be a year or two away from the NHL!

All these prospects need to develop and Verbeek (as well as us) need to see who rises or who doesn't. Then we can start adding better veteran pieces via FA or trade once we know who's who.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Verbeek's hypocrisy is 20/20.

As for the "halfway" bit, one just has to read the rest of the paragraph to understand that he actually meant the Ducks were halfway through the rebuild as Verbeek cites the next step is to be contenders. That's far different from saying, in an Indiana Jones way, "Kid, I'm in the middle of something. I'll get back to ya." That's why I quoted the whole paragraph to provide context to the highlighted "in the middle of a rebuild".

This isn't Verbeek misspeaking. It's Verbeek misleading.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Or realize that GM's might say stuff they don't really mean to play to fans and media.
Of course that happens but it’s not okay and it’s fair to hold that against them. This is not me failing to realize a thing; it’s me respecting myself enough not to accept it.

But to do that you have to understand what he means (which is different from just assuming he’s lying, which lets him off the hook both as a speaker and as a manager), and sometimes that’s hard.
Verbeek's hypocrisy is 20/20.

As for the "halfway" bit, one just has to read the rest of the paragraph to understand that he actually meant the Ducks were halfway through the rebuild as Verbeek cites the next step is to be contenders. That's far different from saying, in an Indiana Jones way, "Kid, I'm in the middle of something. I'll get back to ya." That's why I quoted the whole paragraph to provide context to the highlighted "in the middle of a rebuild".

This isn't Verbeek misspeaking. It's Verbeek misleading.
Well the next step after rebuilding is contending, so not necessarily.

Reactions: DavidBL

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Of course that happens but it’s not okay and it’s fair to hold that against them. This is not me failing to realize a thing; it’s me respecting myself enough not to accept it.

But to do that you have to understand what he means (which is different from just assuming he’s lying, which lets him off the hook both as a speaker and as a manager), and sometimes that’s hard.

Well the next step after rebuilding is contending, so not necessarily.
Not saying it’s OK, but am saying it’s naive to believe the spin is gospel.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Pretty sure that isnt what he said. have a quote?

Thanks to Hockey Duckie for the quote.

I don't necessarily think "middle" in that context should be taken super literally, but it's clear he thought the rebuild was already well underway.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Flyers put Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers for buying him out due to "breach of contract". It is believed Johansen says he is injured and the Flyers don't believe him (whatever that means).

Should we take a

Flyer...

on him?

*cue drumroll*

• Haha
Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Flyers put Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers for buying him out due to "breach of contract". It is believed Johansen says he is injured and the Flyers don't believe him (whatever that means).

Should we take a

Flyer...

on him?

*cue drumroll*
Malingering? Terrible guy. I don’t know how his family can cheer for him.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Verbeek's got his right hand top 6 forward... we can have his bestie Kessler mentor RyJo to pair with Zegras. Wouldn't surprise me if we at least offered him a PTO on this desperate team vying for the bottom 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad