Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
So we're just accepting yet another year of sucking and tanking? I don't think I can do this anymore. Could honestly give a crap less about future picks.
We’re not talking about sending players out for future picks. This would be adding a potentially useful player for a future pick. Never hurts to keep the cupboard full when it comes to draft picks. Any team that has the space should be considering this, rebuilding or not.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We’re not talking about sending players out for future picks. This would be adding a potentially useful player for a future pick. Never hurts to keep the cupboard full when it comes to draft picks. Any team that has the space should be considering this, rebuilding or not.
Yep it’s not like we’re using any of the cap space… might as well continue to stockpile assets and use them to address teams needs

I think the team should be fairly competitive this year assuming healthy, and well start to have a good idea what we need.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
If we traded Vaakanainen or LaCombe for Ceci and a pick, we'd be getting marginally worse. Ceci is terrible. The only question is whether the pick would be worth it in a year that's not likely to end in the playoffs, and if we're likely to lose one of those two players in the near term anyway.

In other words, I'm not necessarily opposed to that kind of deal, but it had better be a 1st round pick coming back.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If we traded Vaakanainen or LaCombe for Ceci and a pick, we'd be getting marginally worse. Ceci is terrible. The only question is whether the pick would be worth it in a year that's not likely to end in the playoffs, and if we're likely to lose one of those two players in the near term anyway.

In other words, I'm not necessarily opposed to that kind of deal, but it had better be a 1st round pick coming back.
I haven't looked at the numbers too deeply and my first reaction to Ceci was the same as yours, but I was surprised to see he was their top PKer on a team that Shut down Florida's PP in the finals. He actually has some decent size too. Not saying we should get him but I'd be curious enough to do a deeper dive if I had the time.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I haven't looked at the numbers too deeply and my first reaction to Ceci was the same as yours, but I was surprised to see he was their top PKer on a team that Shut down Florida's PP in the finals. He actually has some decent size too. Not saying we should get him but I'd be curious enough to do a deeper dive if I had the time.

Except for games he was a healthy scratch. Doesn’t add a lot of confidence in your top PKer.

John

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I mean if you could snag a 26 1st from ceci for 1 of those dmen.

Then in theory ceci plays well enough that a team might send a 3rd for him… that’s not a bad scenario at all. I do think ceci is fine as a dmen…. He gets hated on a ton…. But he’s a nhl dmen at the end of the day

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
So we're just accepting yet another year of sucking and tanking? I don't think I can do this anymore. Could honestly give a crap less about future picks.
Scorched Earth rebuilds take a long time to come out of, it's just the way it goes. There's also some luck involved, and when you don't hit on the consensus elite guys like MacKinnon/Bedard/McDavid then you just have to trust your scouts and hope they're picking the best of the rest.

Our players with the highest ceilings are pretty much all 19-21 years old. They just don't have the experience and consistency yet to be competitive on a nightly basis. We'll probably also have one of the worst blue lines in hockey again next year, primarily due to likely starting four kids with a combined 150 games of NHL experience between them (LaCombe/Luneau/Minty/Zellweger).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You can't place a player on LTIR before the regular season.

Gil
You can actually, you just only get enough coverage to be cap compliant. Say a player makes 5 mill but a team is only 3 over. They out the 5 mill player on LTIR but only get 3 mill of relief rather than the 5 mill.

Except for games he was a healthy scratch. Doesn’t add a lot of confidence in your top PKer.

John
Hah that's fair. Didn't even notice as I wasn't really watching the finals.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Do we really think he will be "potentially useful?" I'm actually asking, because I don't feel like he would be. The defense is a mess, with 3-5 second pairing guys and the rest bottom pairings. To me this clogs things up even more.

We need to be definitively on the upswing of our rebuild at this point, not being a dumping ground for other teams' trash, especially with what our GM has been stating publically.

But alas, it's time to admit that our management failed to get us either of our two positions of need, so screw it, guess we're bottom five again anyway. I think kids will take another step this year, but we're still not fostering an environment to succeed. Getting real Coyotes vibes.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Do we really think he will be "potentially useful?" I'm actually asking, because I don't feel like he would be. The defense is a mess, with 3-5 second pairing guys and the rest bottom pairings. To me this clogs things up even more.

We need to be definitively on the upswing of our rebuild at this point, not being a dumping ground for other teams' trash, especially with what our GM has been stating publically.

But alas, it's time to admit that our management failed to get us either of our two positions of need, so screw it, guess we're bottom five again anyway. I think kids will take another step this year, but we're still not fostering an environment to succeed. Getting real Coyotes vibes.

Dude, if we're bottom 5 again.. (and we probably will be barring big steps by the kids)

Reactions: Son of Gib

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Maybe he’ll be useful. Maybe he won’t. But just for argument’s sake, let’s say you can get him and a ‘26 1st for Vaaks. I don’t even know if you even need to do that. But if that happens, is there really a big difference? If Ceci sucks, big deal, as long as there’s no understanding that he needs to play every night.

Vaaks is probably looking at rotating in and out of the lineup as it stands. If we have Ceci as the 6/7 instead of him, the team probably isn’t much worse if at all. And even if it is a little worse, it’s made up by a future first round pick tenfold. It’s not like we’re on the verge of Cup contention and we’re throwing it away. There’s no savior RHD waiting to come in that we’re giving up the opportunity on acquiring if we make a move with the Oilers.

But in any case, the point of my original reply was responding to the fact that you said you were tired of tanking for future picks. I’m not sure there’s any scenario where exchanging Vaaks or someone like that for Ceci and a first constitutes as tanking.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I don’t want Ceci. Depending on the deal Hyman “might” be an acceptable trade for assets. His current AAV is great, but at 32 his age may make it a wash down the road.

I really doubt Edmonton would keep him in the division and a lot of teams would really be interested in getting him.

John

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Holloway for a future 3rd would have been nice. He’s got good speed and size and looks like he’s going to develop into a good role player to complement our skilled guys. Not sure why Verbeek would even attempt this but he’d say that neither would want to join us…

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Holloway for a future 3rd would have been nice. He’s got good speed and size and looks like he’s going to develop into a good role player to complement our skilled guys. Not sure why Verbeek would even attempt this but he’d say that neither would want to join us…
STL doesn't have the young RFAs offersheets like this might screw upnin the future. Brilliant move by them. Really not sure there is a good target from Edm for us that may actually happen.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
STL doesn't have the young RFAs offersheets like this might screw upnin the future. Brilliant move by them. Really not sure there is a good target from Edm for us that may actually happen.
Catching up with hockey news…. damn, Cody Glass would have been a decent flyer… receive picks for a high pedigree center with size and right shot? Why not? Much better than taking on a Laine type of contract…

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Catching up with hockey news…. damn, Cody Glass would have been a decent flyer… receive picks for a high pedigree center with size and right shot? Why not? Much better than taking on a Laine type of contract…
Imo Laine has a much better chance at being a top 6 contributor than Glass

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Imo Laine has a much better chance at being a top 6 contributor than Glass
You want to us to pay 8.7M or even a discounted cap to take that multiyear gamble, for a soft one dimensional player who is mentally fragile? I’d only make that move if we can offload Gibson and also receive some type of adder, like a decent physical RD prospect.

Reactions: Vino

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You want to us to pay 8.7M or even a discounted cap to take that multiyear gamble, for a soft one dimensional player who is mentally fragile? I’d only make that move if we can offload Gibson and also receive some type of adder, like a decent physical RD prospect.
What does the cap hit concern us for? We're well below and likely below budget and have few contract extensions we actually have to worry about in those 2 years. On the flip side Laine was nearly a PPG forward just 2 seasons ago. Has historicslly been a top 6 producer. I see him as far more likely to do so again rsthan take a flyer on a player that has never been able to establish himself and really would probably be 10th forward even on our depth chart. Here is how I see it, Laine is a gamble that if it pays off has a good chance of providing what we actually need while Glass is likely just another middle 6 forward that might put up 40 pts. We already got a player like that this summer in Fabbri.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The only problem is anybody we want we can’t get. So the default is grow with the team.

But as hockey fans we end up bantering around those what ifs to pass the time during the off-season.

John
Maybe not UFAs, but hockey trades of talent for talent are always a possibility. And if they don’t materialize then you’re right, we have to go with what we got. I just have no interest in spending another year getting my excitement from TDL day rumors, salivating over ways to acquire the Cody Cecis of the world, watching tankathon daily and reading up on all the draft eligible prospects after the WJCs. Not to mention having to put up with the garbage rumors started by hacks who make a living generating clicks.

I don’t care where we finish in the standings. I just want a team that’s enjoyable to watch as all our talent grows and improves. I want to focus on something more than fringe deals for future picks that will have nothing to do with the expectations of this core we have.

I realize there aren’t simple answers. But I’m just getting real tired of waking up every season to Groundhog Day again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad