Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I honestly believe Stephens… Gibby has little to no trade value now. Dostal outplayed him and had the same team in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce22

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
The problem with Gibson is that sometimes he has that " Could Care Less" Attitude.. he just takes games off.. Sometimes with a young team. That kills the morale of the young guys.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
So im guessing this is it for the FA signings or trades for us... Only guys I can think of coming here via trades are Liane or Ekblad.. This is what PV wanted in right handed shots.. But I guess PV didn't realize it was going to be hard to get these guys to sign here.

Hes pretty much always made a late summer trade leading into the season. I wouldnt say hes absolutely done. As teams start putting their roster together and figuring out what they need to do for opening night rosters there could be more deals.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
We need to remember also that Laine is not yet out of PAP and cannot be dealt until he is. I read before that CBJ will try to accommodate his desire for a "fresh start," If he gets released in August, I can see a Laine to Anaheim deal happening before training camp. Supposedly there has been interest in him by the Ducks - it's a shot I'd be willing to take.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
We need to remember also that Laine is not yet out of PAP and cannot be dealt until he is. I read before that CBJ will try to accommodate his desire for a "fresh start," If he gets released in August, I can see a Laine to Anaheim deal happening before training camp. Supposedly there has been interest in him by the Ducks - it's a shot I'd be willing to take.
What would you actually give up for him though? This team isn't a position where they need to blow assets on complete gambles like this. And even if he ends up playing well here, he's a UFA in 2026

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I honestly believe Stephens… Gibby has little to no trade value now. Dostal outplayed him and had the same team in front of him.

The solution is for Gibson to prove his worth, even if it's in a 1B/back-up role. Hopefully he comes fired up this season and the result is a great goalie tandem.

But if he's going to do that, he's going to have to learn how to not deflate after letting in a goal.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Gibson signed a $50M+ contract, so I can't feel too bad for the guy. You kind of know what you're getting into when you commit to a franchise for nearly a decade, for better or worse. Unfortunately in his case it's been mostly for worse, but it is what it is.

There's no point in moving him just to move him. We have the most cap space in the NHL, so we're not in any rush to get him off the books. I'm sure he'd like to move to a more competitive team if possible, and Verbeek has probably kicked the tires a few times. But if the deals don't make sense and he isn't vehemently demanding to be moved, then why bother.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
With respect, a comment like that requires some type of link or sourcing.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It's crazy how we had two incredible goalie prospects in Andersen and Gibson, and now both are arguably 'worthless'

I still wish we kept Andersen. IIRC, team played so much better around him.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Actually The Hockey News had an article, not suggesting the Ducks were considering Laine, but how he might be a good fit.

Few teams can absorb $8.7m on a reclamation project like the Ducks can.

I’d love to move Gibson for him, or Strome, but I imagine not even Columbus will bite on that. It might be prospect(s)/picks.

John

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
What would you actually give up for him though? This team isn't a position where they need to blow assets on complete gambles like this. And even if he ends up playing well here, he's a UFA in 2026
I really don’t think he’d be that expensive to acquire, especially since we can absorb his entire cap hit. Though it’s important to note that Columbus will be pretty close to the floor if we don’t send any money back. I’d consider involving a D prospect, or a pick (not a 1st), or someone like Lundestrom. If Verbeek is set on Luneau playing in the NHL, then I’d consider involving LaCombe, mainly because there isn’t really a spot for him at that point.

I know every situation is different, but players coming out of PAP don’t seem to have great trade value (Kuznetsov, Vrana). If both Laine and CBJ really want to move on, they will make it happen. Given Columbus’ cap situation, I could potentially see them actually preferring to retain salary to get a better return. In that case, I probably wouldn’t be that interested. We have ample cap space for 2 more seasons, which creates a perfect trial period for Laine. I don’t think he’s the type of player Verbeek was looking for, but he might be the best affordable option (in terms of acquisition cost) out there now.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually The Hockey News had an article, not suggesting the Ducks were considering Laine, but how he might be a good fit.

I’d love to move Gibson for him, or Strome, but I imagine not even Columbus will bite on that. It might be prospect(s)/picks.

John
Thanks. I think Columbus is in a bad position with Laine. Their GM wants it to be a hockey trade but to me that means exchanging Laine for a somewhat useful but overpaid player. Most players like that have some type of NTC so it's going to be a tough market. I totally don't see PV trading any good picks/prospects for Laine. In fact, Laine seems like exactly the opposite type of player that PV wants to add to the organization.

Columbus will most likely hang on to Laine and hope he increases his value for the next TDL. Not too dissimilar from what I'm sure the Ducks are hoping to do with Gibson and (perhaps) Zegras.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Imo I'd imagine a deal for Laine probably is centered around Lacombe or Vaakanainen. Assuming the team is satisfied with the due diligence

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
With respect, a comment like that requires some type of link or sourcing.
You're right, it should; I seem to recall seeing the Ducks mentioned in connection with Laine in a reposted tweet a while back, but I can't recall when or who, which is why I said supposedly. And I may be mis-remembering.

Reactions: tomd

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I really don’t think he’d be that expensive to acquire, especially since we can absorb his entire cap hit. Though it’s important to note that Columbus will be pretty close to the floor if we don’t send any money back. I’d consider involving a D prospect, or a pick (not a 1st), or someone like Lundestrom. If Verbeek is set on Luneau playing in the NHL, then I’d consider involving LaCombe, mainly because there isn’t really a spot for him at that point.

I know every situation is different, but players coming out of PAP don’t seem to have great trade value (Kuznetsov, Vrana). If both Laine and CBJ really want to move on, they will make it happen. Given Columbus’ cap situation, I could potentially see them actually preferring to retain salary to get a better return. In that case, I probably wouldn’t be that interested. We have ample cap space for 2 more seasons, which creates a perfect trial period for Laine. I don’t think he’s the type of player Verbeek was looking for, but he might be the best affordable option (in terms of acquisition cost) out there now.
This is petty much my thinking - a reasonable deal could get done.

John
This may be what I am remembering.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Laine, but like others have said it really depends what we'd have to give up. His cap hit is pretty huge for his production/issues, but there's not many teams that can eat it for a couple seasons like the Ducks can. He's also super young still which fits our timeline, as well as filling a huge positional need.

The rub is that since CBJ is also close to the cap floor, they have some flexibility with what they can look for in a trade even with Laine coming out of the PAP. I would bet that they'd rather eat some of the contract and get a better asset since they need some salary coming back anyways. If that's the case, I don't think Verbeek bites as hard as another team will. And let's be honest, if they try to accommodate Laine a bit in terms of selecting his destination a team like Anaheim probably isn't going to be very high on his list unless he highly values obscurity/being out of the media spotlight.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I’m sure Columbus would love to move him in the right deal, I have a hard time seeing them move him now for pennies on the dollar though. They could get a lot more at the deadline if he shows he can come back from his issues

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I’m sure Columbus would love to move him in the right deal, I have a hard time seeing them move him now for pennies on the dollar though. They could get a lot more at the deadline if he shows he can come back from his issues
Yes, but if I'm Columbus, do I want to risk keeping a mentally fragile player who seems to want to leave? I guess it depends on how Laine feels about it. If he's adamant that he wants to go somewhere else ASAP, then you just trade him for whatever you can get. If he's willing to give it a go in Columbus, then you should definitely hang on to him unless there is a deal you can't pass up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad