Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That is a tough one... id hope now that hes comfortable here hed take a reasonable contract. This under the assumption his numbers dont drop off too much this season.

Id say(and lets assume he has 25 goals 50 points this year)
3 year 5 mil per year, 3 year 15 mil
vs
4 year 4.500 per year, 4 year 18 mil

/shrug, i think hed get more in open market, but thats prob my comfort range... not sure id like a 5 year deal.... if he wanted 5 years, id prob want it at 4.
Yeah I know Frank has said he wanted to stay here but I feel like this is going to be a hard one to get done. Frank will probably both want to be paid based on last season's numbers, and also will probably want as much term as possible as he'll be 31 next offseason so this could very well be his last shot at a long term contract. PV will probably want to wait to see if he continues to produce at that rate this season and also will probably want to keep the term down as we still aren't in our window yet. Though, the team breaking out and being in a playoff spot might make PV inclined to offer more money to keep him, and also might lower Frank's demands for staying here.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I understand the frustrations expressed about PV. I very much feel the jury is still out on him. Trades, draft picks, and coaching hires take time to evaluate. But I do feel GMs take longer to evaluate than players or coaches individually. I don't hate him but I think he still has a lot to prove. He hasn't sold me on himself yet.

But I hope like hell everything works out for the best because history tells us that short of any self inflicted wounds he's going to be here for a long time. Does anybody really think Bob wouldn't still be here but for his own demons getting the best of him?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think it will be nearly impossible to make us a better team THIS YEAR. This would be the 4th season running that he sets the team backwards to make it better in the future, but every time he does so, the team is set back and mired in a barely watchable, irrelevant product on the ice.

Who brought us in this situation though?

It’s the GMs job to make the team improve. Having your youth improve with questionable coaching can only do so much.

Verbeek said at least three or four different times that he was going to improve the top-6 and improve the defensive core. It never happened. It’s even more telling that with the slim-pickings depth that’s out in the FA market, no attempt has been made to approach anyone it seems

I am frustrated as a fan because I have no idea what direction this team is going in. It’s even weirder(?) seeing some people give Verbeek the benefit of the doubt. It’s been 4 bad years of Eakins, and going on two questionable years with Cronin.

I hate these Zegras rumours. Verbeek needs to say he isnt trading him or just get it over with.

He won’t. He hates being confronted with any meaningful question.

I get SoCal is a relaxed market, but there is just so much unwarranted smoke around this that started with Seravalli.

Reactions: snowave and Dirk316

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Part of the Zegras situation has to do with being able to win in the playoffs if Zebras is a central piece.

I’ve made Zegras-Panarin comparison even though Zegras is not close at this stage.

I’m not sure Panarin can win as a central piece on the Rangers. The problem is how much cap can you dedicate to an elite regular season player.

If Zegras would be happy as $6m player there is no discussion about trading him. It’s the impending 8x8 that is more of a concern.

John

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I hate these Zegras rumours. Verbeek needs to say he isnt trading him or just get it over with.

So Im with you partially and I mentioned earlier that they should be coming out and saying the rumors arent true if they really arent. However, if they are shopping him then they shouldnt rush it. His value is going to be low right now coming off the injuries last season, they need to get him back playing significant time and being the playmaker we know him to be, then trade, IF they want to trade him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Part of the Zegras situation has to do with being able to win in the playoffs if Zebras is a central piece.

I’ve made Zegras-Panarin comparison even though Zegras is not close at this stage.

I’m not sure Panarin can win as a central piece on the Rangers. The problem is how much cap can you dedicate to an elite regular season player.

If Zegras would be happy as $6m player there is no discussion about trading him. It’s the impending 8x8 that is more of a concern.

John
8x8 is going to be 2nd line material in the near future.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I thought everyone assumed if we got him for the hughes contract we would all call it a win

Also. I bet hed ask for 1 more dollar aav than his buddy hughes just to be an ass.

I agree. Last Summer 8x8 for Zegras was something you would take all day long. And this is why we should give him this year to get back to where he was.

Last Summer 7x7 for Terry was a great signing. But last season was just awful for Terry and unless he turns it around it could end up a bad contract.

John

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I agree. Personally, I do not believe Pat will trade him for anything less than an upgrade (and in that case, everyone else should be in the same situation), but the silence around it is so frustrating.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
A 4-5 guy who doesn’t play special team though. Seems like a late 1st would be better for a Vatrano trade
I don’t think that’s coming. They had to grind a bit and include Carrick to get a first for Henrique, who’s a capable center and can fit anywhere in a lineup, maybe the market changes but I have my doubts you’ll see a winger of that calibre go for a first at this years deadline.

I actually didn’t hate that Tampa idea. Perbix isn’t a prospect but he’s only played two seasons and is something of a late bloomer and a 2 and a 3 is probably at the higher end of a picks package I think Frank will get anyway.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t think that’s coming. They had to grind a bit and include Carrick to get a first for Henrique, who’s a capable center and can fit anywhere in a lineup, maybe the market changes but I have my doubts you’ll see a winger of that calibre go for a first at this years deadline.

I actually didn’t hate that Tampa idea. Perbix isn’t a prospect but he’s only played two seasons and is something of a late bloomer and a 2 and a 3 is probably at the higher end of a picks package I think Frank will get anyway.
Counterpoint, Vatrano had 37 goals, Henrique had 18. 37 goals at a prorated 1.8M retained cap hit isn’t something a team usually has access to. It depends on what a team is looking for.

Granted he may not have 37 goals this year, but that would also make it easier to re-sign him here.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Counterpoint, Vatrano had 37 goals, Henrique had 18. 37 goals at a prorated 1.8M retained cap hit isn’t something a team usually has access to. It depends on what a team is looking for.

Granted he may not have 37 goals this year, but that would also make it easier to re-sign him here.
I’m aware, I just don’t think it matters unless he’s in the hunt for 40 again. The lower cap hit helps but the league just doesn’t value wingers like that, I think Tarasenko and Bertuzzi are the only rental wingers to bring a first back in recent years. So it’s certainly possible, I just don’t think it happens.

Not helping matters is that 7 likely playoff teams for next year don’t have a 2025 first to deal. Could always deal a later one but thats tough.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
If Verbeek came and said unequivocally that he's not trading him, he'd essentially be saying that, even if a great offer for the team came along that any sane GM would take, he'd reject it. because if he didn't reject it, it would be a blatant lie.

I see no reason for him to say anything if in fact he believes there's still a chance, even if small, that an offer or situation like that could come along. that to me is far better than potentially lying to a player and fanbase just because fans want to hear something.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m aware, I just don’t think it matters unless he’s in the hunt for 40 again. The lower cap hit helps but the league just doesn’t value wingers like that, I think Tarasenko and Bertuzzi are the only rental wingers to bring a first back in recent years. So it’s certainly possible, I just don’t think it happens.

Not helping matters is that 7 likely playoff teams for next year don’t have a 2025 first to deal. Could always deal a later one but thats tough.
Vatrano outproduced both of those guys, unlike those guys has been healthy, and is in that same age range.

I agree the lack of 1sts amongst playoff teams would be more concerning, but IF he produces comparably again this year I think a 1st is still a reasonable ask. Or at least something more valuable than that offer.

Reactions: Kalv

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
If Verbeek came and said unequivocally that he's not trading him, he'd essentially be saying that, even if a great offer for the team came along that any sane GM would take, he'd reject it. because if he didn't reject it, it would be a blatant lie.

I see no reason for him to say anything if in fact he believes there's still a chance, even if small, that an offer or situation like that could come along. that to me is far better than potentially lying to a player and fanbase just because fans want to hear something.

"To address the mounting rumors, while there are obviously teams interested in Zegras, we are not actively shopping him."

That leaves you the wiggle room to pull the trigger if a great deal comes along, but still sends the message that you arent trying to get rid of the guy

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Vatrano outproduced both of those guys, unlike those guys has been healthy, and is in that same age range.

I agree the lack of 1sts amongst playoff teams would be more concerning, but IF he produces comparably again this year I think a 1st is still a reasonable ask. Or at least something more valuable than that offer.
No he didn’t, you can’t compare the years those two were traded to what is hypothetically the year before Vatrano is. In the year prior Bert had more points than Vatrano in 14 fewer games and Tarasenko was well over a point a game in his. Both guys also hit 30 goals in those years and likely have more name value and track record, Tarasenko much moreso. And that’s before looking at even strength-power play splits. If somehow Frank is on 40 pace this year, then sure, it might be a reasonable ask but that isn’t particularly likely.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
"To address the mounting rumors, while there are obviously teams interested in Zegras, we are not actively shopping him."

That leaves you the wiggle room to pull the trigger if a great deal comes along, but still sends the message that you arent trying to get rid of the guy
I guess the thing is that some form of this conversation could easily have come up between zegras and verbeek in private or maybe at season ending performance evaluations

It depends on how much verbeek cares about how much speculation the public does and at this point it doesn’t seem like it matters to him at all.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I guess the thing is that some form of this conversation could easily have come up between zegras and verbeek in private or maybe at season ending performance evaluations

It depends on how much verbeek cares about how much speculation the public does and at this point it doesn’t seem like it matters to him at all.
Ya i tend to think PV doesnt care about all the noise... and doesnt really want to give it any attention.

I also assume hes talked to zegras in private, regarding all that stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad