Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I want to see something cohesive on the ice. I’ll forgive a terrible record if I can tell that the team are all trying and failing to do a thing, versus all the doorknob humping we’ve seen. It’s the difference between, say the 01-02 Ducks, and what we saw last year.

Like I said before, the amount of injuries they had would hurt any team in the NHL significantly, but a team like Anaheim with little depth, hurt them even more. A lot also has to do with player progress like you said and if some of the vets can bounce back or have another good season like Vatrano.

As per Vatrano, he should not be leading this team in scoring. No offense to Frankie. That was part of the issue last year. But injuries were a main reason for that,

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
While I'm far from a proponent of trading Zegras, a lot of people seem to believe that it's going to be virtually impossible for us to come out on the better end of a Zegras trade, which is something I don't really understand or agree with. It's definitely possible PV finds a deal that makes us a better team. I think if you told most people back in December that Drysdale was being traded imminently, people would assume we were selling low and likely getting minimal value but I don't think anyone would undo that trade today

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

Just to further my point here... Apparently Mr. Hicks has heard that our (extremely tight-lipped org) has been connected to the Canes, Rangers, Jets, Bolts, Flyers, Islanders, and Sabres regarding Zegras.

The guy is just fishing for likes/retweets, and hasn't even been very successful at that.
Ya, I’m going to say that we probably shouldn’t be giving any attention to a guy with a bio that reads “NHL insider with many highly coveted sources”

Last edited:

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022

Just to further my point here... Apparently Mr. Hicks has heard that our (extremely tight-lipped org) has been connected to the Canes, Rangers, Jets, Bolts, Flyers, Islanders, and Sabres regarding Zegras.

The guy is just fishing for likes/retweets, and hasn't even been very successful at that.
He also either just recently learned the difference between Vaakanainen and Vatrano, or 'knows' GMPV was trying to trade Vaakanainen a day after re-signing him.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
He also either just recently learned the difference between Vaakanainen and Vatrano, or 'knows' GMPV was trying to trade Vaakanainen a day after re-signing him.

Anyone saying Trouba is in a trade rumor at this point, is full of shit. How many times have we now heard that Trouba would not report to a team that traded for him or picked him up off waivers?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

“Or it’s just possible that they keep him entirely.”

So they might trade him to one of 5 teams, or they might just keep him. Got it. Thanks for the scoop.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Moving Zegras now would depend strictly on the return.

But if Z has a great year it would be foolish to move him for less or even move him at all.

If there is anything PV learned from the Gauthier-Drysdale trade is how poorly Philadelphia handled the timing of the trade.

Waiting until Jun 28/Jul 1 would have yielded more.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
The only reason you move Zegras is if he has requested a trade. The value isnt there right now.

The only reason I think its possible they are trying to move Zegras is because they havent come out and denied it. If I wanted my player to know that we valued him, Id be coming out and squashing the rumors as they ramp up.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think they should wait til during the season to do the trade if they are going to do it, him being healthy and starting out strong will bring his value back up.
How possible is it that Zegras could have asked for a trade but doesn't want to make it public in order to help the team get a better return and also make it more possible for him to be traded ?
If I had to think of reasons he'd request a trade it would be he wants a fresh start after the injury plagued season along with wanting to play Center, be back closer to home, maybe wants to be on a winning team ?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The only reason you move Zegras is if he has requested a trade. The value isnt there right now.

The only reason I think its possible they are trying to move Zegras is because they havent come out and denied it. If I wanted my player to know that we valued him, Id be coming out and squashing the rumors as they ramp up.
I'm starting to wonder about that, if its something the Ducks are trying to keep a tight lid on.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I think they should wait til during the season to do the trade if they are going to do it, him being healthy and starting out strong will bring his value back up.
How possible is it that Zegras could have asked for a trade but doesn't want to make it public in order to help the team get a better return and also make it more possible for him to be traded ?
If I had to think of reasons he'd request a trade it would be he wants a fresh start after the injury plagued season along with wanting to play Center, be back closer to home, maybe wants to be on a winning team ?

If he felt like he was being dicked around by the team he may want out. Center vs wing could be an issue, maybe, but I doubt it. Could be a West vs East coast thing.

Winning team, at this age, I dont think is a problem. Or at least, it shouldnt be. Look at the stable of guys being drafted and in the system. There is a roadmap here for success, just need a little patience.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
While I'm far from a proponent of trading Zegras, a lot of people seem to believe that it's going to be virtually impossible for us to come out on the better end of a Zegras trade, which is something I don't really understand or agree with. It's definitely possible PV finds a deal that makes us a better team. I think if you told most people back in December that Drysdale was being traded imminently, people would assume we were selling low and likely getting minimal value but I don't think anyone would undo that trade today
I think it will be nearly impossible to make us a better team THIS YEAR. This would be the 4th season running that he sets the team backwards to make it better in the future, but every time he does so, the team is set back and mired in a barely watchable, irrelevant product on the ice.

If he brings back an actual top pairing RD, I understand it. If he brings back a bunch of prospects and picks…he’s made the team significantly worse again.

I also do not want another GM who is so thin skinned that he trades players who hold out or apply for arbitration.

As far as the Drysdale trade goes, I think the jury is out. There’s zero guarantee that Drysdale gets injured here, Gauthier looks legit but has played one game, and we have no idea who that high 2nd is going to turn into. I think that Drysdale not being here helped us be 3rd overall, but I think the guy we took 3rd overall won’t be a major piece of the puzzle for 3-4 years. I certainly don’t hate it, but I also think it’s quite premature to say that we won it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think it will be nearly impossible to make us a better team THIS YEAR. This would be the 4th season running that he sets the team backwards to make it better in the future, but every time he does so, the team is set back and mired in a barely watchable, irrelevant product on the ice.

If he brings back an actual top pairing RD, I understand it. If he brings back a bunch of prospects and picks…he’s made the team significantly worse again.

I also do not want another GM who is so thin skinned that he trades players who hold out or apply for arbitration.

As far as the Drysdale trade goes, I think the jury is out. There’s zero guarantee that Drysdale gets injured here, Gauthier looks legit but has played one game, and we have no idea who that high 2nd is going to turn into. I think that Drysdale not being here helped us be 3rd overall, but I think the guy we took 3rd overall won’t be a major piece of the puzzle for 3-4 years. I certainly don’t hate it, but I also think it’s quite premature to say that we won it.
Sure but as I said in another post I’m not convinced PV has any interest in selling Zegras off for futures. I don’t think he’s really motivated to move him at all, I think he just sees is confident in a future 1-2 punch of Carlsson and McTavish and is willing to dangle Zegras to see if he can get a piece this team is really lacking, just as I doubt he was motivated to move Drysdale, but did because he could land a much needed goal scoring winger.

Also my point with the Drysdale/Gauthier trade wasn’t to declare that the team won the trade, just that it is a trade that our fans are generally happy with

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
not sure about anyone else - but trading Zegras and Vatrano just sets the rebuild back even more..

Who is going to score goals?
You’re right but I think I have the same amount of sources as this guy

You guys do realize this clown is probably typing out rumors and coming to this exact board hoping for reaction, engagement, etc. right?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Not that I want any of them, maybe, but still some interesting names in the FA pool

JVR
Sprong
Barrie
Johnson
Schultz (haha I doubt the front office would go there)
Patches

It’s just not **enticing** (edit)

I don’t think JVR is a force like he used to be..

Surprised Patches hasn’t retired yet. Ton of injury issues over the years.

I would be shocked if they circled back to Sprong. Don’t think he fits with the whole compete level they are trying to push

Last edited:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
It’s just not ’I don’t think JVR is a force like he used to be..

Surprised Patches hasn’t retired yet. Ton of injury issues over the years.

I would be shocked if they circled back to Sprong. Don’t think he fits with the whole compete level they are trying to push

Patches could wait to see if a contender is interested in his services as the year goes on. I would not be shocked if he didnt retire until after the trade deadline if hes not signed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
not sure about anyone else - but trading Zegras and Vatrano just sets the rebuild back even more..

Who is going to score goals?
I think everyone is going to agree here, but i do think if you cant bring vatrano back for whatever reason (contract demands, wants to chase a cup etc) you have to move him and get value on him this season, but you can wait till deadline he should get a 1st at deadline if we dont think we can bring him back.

Zegras trade is just reckless, and the only way it really makes sense is if there is issues between either side, or someone offers us a deal we cant turn down.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What's the most you'd give Vatrano on an extension now? Gotta wonder how much talks there have been between him and the org since July 1
That is a tough one... id hope now that hes comfortable here hed take a reasonable contract. This under the assumption his numbers dont drop off too much this season.

Id say(and lets assume he has 25 goals 50 points this year)
3 year 5 mil per year, 3 year 15 mil
vs
4 year 4.500 per year, 4 year 18 mil

/shrug, i think hed get more in open market, but thats prob my comfort range... not sure id like a 5 year deal.... if he wanted 5 years, id prob want it at 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad