Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Unless there is something better on the table I don't mind the return. No doubt other teams will be calling about Vatrano. I would take this as a signal that we didn't like the numbers of a potential extension for Frank.

There will absolutely be something better. I can't see any way Vatrano with retention at the deadline doesn't bring back a 1st.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I'm finding it very odd that so many Ducks fans are giving Verbeek a pass on what happened the other day in free agency. He talked an ENORMOUS game and then he went out and signed no one. So many people are saying "oh, Verbeek's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers." That's nonsense. He failed. He could not back up his big talk and that warrants criticism.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I'm finding it very odd that so many Ducks fans are giving Verbeek a pass on what happened the other day in free agency. He talked an ENORMOUS game and then he went out and signed no one. So many people are saying "oh, Verbeek's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers." That's nonsense. He failed. He could not back up his big talk and that warrants criticism.
I don't find it odd at all. Verbeek said he would try to get things done. By all reports, he did, offering contracts to top free agents. They chose other places. Now he's trying other things.

He never said he would make all his moves on July 1st.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I don't find it odd at all. Verbeek said he would try to get things done. By all reports, he did, offering contracts to top free agents. They chose other places. Now he's trying other things.

He never said he would make all his moves on July 1st.

I largely agree, but I do think “recruiting” is part of his job, and to that end he failed. It may have been an uphill battle, but he was unable to seal the deal with free agents.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
He offered bigger and longer contracts to Stamkos and Marchessault but they both picked other teams. You can only sign players that are willing to play in Annahiem.

Why dont you tell us what deals he should have made?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He offered bigger and longer contracts to Stamkos and Marchessault but they both picked other teams. You can only sign players that are willing to play in Annahiem.

Why dont you tell us what deals he should have made?
He also created the environment that apparently players don't want to sign in. Maybe it's always been that way. I'm not sure I believe that. When we get players we don't generally have a hard to keeping them. Or at least we didn't in the past.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
He also created the environment that apparently players don't want to sign in. Maybe it's always been that way. I'm not sure I believe that. When we get players we don't generally have a hard to keeping them. Or at least we didn't in the past.

I think a lot of it has to do with what Henrique talked about in that interview someone posted. Playing for a losing team is a soul-crushing, shit sandwich.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Strome, Vatrano, Klingberg, Gudas, Killorn. All signed in the environment Verbeek created.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad