Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Oct 18, 2011
Pat Verbeek had a plan and he botched it.

“For instance, The Athletic learned from league sources that the Ducks made big offers to Steven Stamkos and Jonathan Marchessault, both of whom ultimately signed in Nashville. The Ducks took their swings. They just didn’t connect.”

Now he’ll trade for a few cap dumps to fill out the roster, and we’ll likely be a bottom feeder again.

I think ownership will accept a top 5 pick once more, but Pat better turn it around in 2025-26 or he’ll be looking for a new job.
I can't take another season like last year, we need to start winning games

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can't take another season like last year, we need to start winning games
I think we’ll have a decent step up….

Healthy line up, 2nd year under Cronin…. I imagine a better understanding of their jobs in the system.

Our star players getting another year older…. I expect minty carlsson zellweger lacombe and company to be a lot more comfortable.

A healthy zegras/mctavish last year and we prob end up picking 8-10 rather than 1-3. Hopefully terry comes back with the right mindset this year.

I think gauthier is going to surprise some people, I think he’ll be a Calder finalist this year.

And of course there is still moves coming for us, I still expect some sort of top 6 forward coming via trade, and some sort of dmen. I don’t think we’ll really be battling for playoff posistion, but I think we’ll see a pretty decent size jump as far as points go….. still a lottery pick, but in the 8-12 range

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think we are looking at cap dumps, which I am okay with. Costs much less in assets. Yes getting Stamkos would have been great for developing the young players but realistically i am not sure he is the difference maker on the ice he used to be. I would much prefer to spend the money next year. also i dont think there will be a big trade (Top player) until next year or the year after, when he feels our window is beginning.

Reactions: Deuce22

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
So it sounds like you would have been happy signing the guys who would sign here (that’s not Stammer or Marshy), to fat bloated 7 year deals because they would potentially help us win a few more games in the next couple of years. OK, fine. I wouldn’t have been.

We definitely have some young studs who are going to have to be paid well before those 7 year deals will expire, but not not before the FAs play drops to a level well below what we will be paying them. Then what? How does that math work?

Trying to assemble a cup contending team in the day and age of a salary cap is a lot harder than people seem to think. Overpaying free agents on July 1 is a sucker’s game that gets proven every year. Sometimes when you really are a serious cup contender you do have to hold your nose and sign one of those bad deals. But signing deals like that, given where the Ducks are now, is fools gold. Those guys aren’t helping us win a cup in the next few years.

I want this team to win as much as anybody here does. But I’m not losing sleep over the fact Verbeek didn’t go out and spend money like a drunken sailor today. At some point down the road, if I think Verbeek is a hot mess, I won’t be afraid to say so. But that day isn’t today.

What are you talking about? Why are you assuming we matched any of these guys offers? I am upset we didn’t sign anyone to improve, that doesn’t mean I wanted to sign a bunch of guys to bloated 7 year deals. Nearly all free agent deals will be a bit of overpay, that’s why you don’t build a whole team via free agency, but you can absorb a few of them in order to fill holes on the roster.

I don’t know what we offered, but I would have been good with avridsson, stamkos, Marchessault, foegle,and Matt Roy Deals (or slight increase to AAV if absolutely necessary to land them).

Reactions: DavidBL and dracom

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
What are you talking about? Why are you assuming we matched any of these guys offers? I am upset we didn’t sign anyone to improve, that doesn’t mean I wanted to sign a bunch of guys to bloated 7 year deals. Nearly all free agent deals will be a bit of overpay, that’s why you don’t build a whole team via free agency, but you can absorb a few of them in order to fill holes on the roster.

I don’t know what we offered, but I would have been good with avridsson, stamkos, Marchessault, foegle,and Matt Roy Deals (or slight increase to AAV if absolutely necessary to land them).
The 7 year deals mean this: We are going to contend the first 4 and just enjoy life the last 3, likely not contending. Or maybe it means, "This is our 7 year window".

None of those scenarios applies to the Ducks. Yeah, there is a recipe where you have a good young team on cheap contracts and you buy a couple expensive veteran stars and you throw them together to make a championship team.

Maybe if the kids have a great year this year, then throwing a couple overpaid, over termed free-agent star players alongside a bunch of low-paid, over-performing youngsters can be the recipe for success for a few years... but the Duck youngsters aren't performing at the point where any supplement is going to push them into some sort of contention.

Reactions: Trojans86

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think most people just realize there's still over 3 months before the season starts. If they made 3 big trades tomorrow would you still feel this way? No one will be happy if the team doesn't improve at all, but if they do before camp why does it matter if it was done today or not?

To answer your question Yes, I do think I would still feel this way.

I certainly understand the season doesn’t start tomorrow. However, I don’t really see a path via trades that I would be happy with.

I am very opposed to trading away picks/prospects at this point in our rebuild. So, I am having a hard time imaging multiple trades that could materially improve our roster in the short term without a big sacrifice to our youth.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The 7 year deals mean this: We are going to contend the first 4 and just enjoy life the last 3, likely not contending. Or maybe it means, "This is our 7 year window".

None of those scenarios applies to the Ducks. Yeah, there is a recipe where you have a good young team on cheap contracts and you buy a couple expensive veteran stars and you throw them together to make a championship team.

Maybe if the kids have a great year this year, then throwing a couple overpaid, over termed free-agent star players alongside a bunch of low-paid, over-performing youngsters can be the recipe for success for a few years... but the Duck youngsters aren't performing at the point where any supplement is going to push them into some sort of contention.

Only one of those guys signed a 7 year deal… and he’s 29 not 34, so I’m not sure what you are talking about.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
I think we are looking at cap dumps, which I am okay with. Costs much less in assets. Yes getting Stamkos would have been great for developing the young players but realistically i am not sure he is the difference maker on the ice he used to be. I would much prefer to spend the money next year. also i dont think there will be a big trade (Top player) until next year or the year after, when he feels our window is beginning.

As a former Coyotes fan you can be surprised what a bunch of properly motivated cap dumps can do.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m really not as disappointed as I thought i would be after Verbeek just re-signed the RFA’s. Which I felt he signed or qualified the right ones.

Those contracts that were signed yesterday are putting teams in cap hell. Ducks can just sit back and wait to help bail some of them out. But think we can land an actual good player.

Still plenty of off-season. So let’s see what Verbeek has cooking. We know it’s something. Still need to spend around 6 million just to get to the cap floor.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This.

We all seem to forget that this is a team on the rise. We see the standings and assume it won’t get better. The kids (should) only continue to improve and that’s part of the reason Cronin was the hire. Additionally, there were signs of life shown at the end of last year that I I think are important. A full year, another training camp, etc in a new system, etc. not to mention (hopefully) a full year of a healthy Z

If you think Verbeek is gonna go from offering Stamkos and Marchesssault to standing pat I think you’re got another thing coming

This team is on the rise? What kind of rise is a 1 point difference from last year mean?

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I’m really not as disappointed as I thought i would be after Verbeek just re-signed the RFA’s. Which I felt he signed or qualified the right ones.

Those contracts that were signed yesterday are putting teams in cap hell. Ducks can just sit back and wait to help bail some of them out. But think we can land an actual good player.

Still plenty of off-season. So let’s see what Verbeek has cooking. We know it’s something. Still need to spend around 6 million just to get to the cap floor.

This. There were only a few players who fit the need and would move the needle. It didn't work out but it's not like it sets the team back. There are still trade options and they obviously have to reach the cap floor. We all just need to be patient

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
I’m a little surprised they didn’t at least announce some AHL signings.

By my count, San Diego only has 3 defenseman signed to the roster. They probably need at least one more center too.

Reactions: Duck Off

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
This team is on the rise? What kind of rise is a 1 point difference from last year mean?
Honest question - why do you even follow the team if you are so negative about everything? By far the most negative person I have seen on this board.

This team is loaded with young talent, one of which being a possible superstar in Carlsson. You choose to look at the point totals, I choose, and I think most rational people, choose to look at the potential and growth that our eyes show us.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
McTavish - 64 games
Killorn - 63 games
Carlsson - 55 games
Mintyukov - 63 games
Zegras - 31 games
Zellweger - 26 games
Gauthier - acquired

I’m just hoping we get a bit more health luck and excited to see to see what a year of growth does. Hopefully they can give Carlsson a bigger role. Our bigger gets were Killorn, Vatrano, Gudas, etc now its just filling in a couple spots or possibly trading for an upgrade. Can’t help it if the bigger FA’s didn’t want to sign on a lotto team
Bumping for my own personal sanity on this new day as I start work

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think most people just realize there's still over 3 months before the season starts. If they made 3 big trades tomorrow would you still feel this way? No one will be happy if the team doesn't improve at all, but if they do before camp why does it matter if it was done today or not?
I think this is fair, what I struggle with is who actually might be available in trade? We know Laine wants out. There are rumors of Marner or Necas. The later 2 are going to cost a lot and likely Z, which I'm not a fan of. There is always potential that there are names out there that we wouldn't expect but again, the cost... On top of that, the time to make those moves was at the draft when he had tons of extra assets that other teams could use to get players they want rather than the ones we picked and may or may not be players they covet.

Edit: Sorry what I struggle with not u, that changes the whole tone of the comment.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
There were three possible outcomes yesterday. One, we sign some guys to reasonable deals that will help our young core improve. Two, we overspend in a panic to rise in the standings and appease the fanbase and are stuck with bad contracts. Three, we do nothing. I prefer outcome one but under the current salary and term structure, this was not possible. Knowing that, I prefer outcome three to number two.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Honest question - why do you even follow the team if you are so negative about everything? By far the most negative person I have seen on this board.

This team is loaded with young talent, one of which being a possible superstar in Carlsson. You choose to look at the point totals, I choose, and I think most rational people, choose to look at the potential and growth that our eyes show us.
I'm not quite sure who you mean? Then again, I think I only have one person on the block list, and that correlation would make a lot of sense...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad