Speculation: 2024-25 Free Agency/Trade Thread (Free Agency Frenzy July 1st)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Hopefully Ducks get 1 short term (1 year left) and 1 longer term (but better) RD, like Roy. Luneau missed most of the year, so having a guy that fills the role until Luneau gets back into form in San Diego would be good. If we draft Lev/Silayev, Gudas is up in 2 years (when they could realistically be ready). Bring Luneau up this year either if injuries hit or after TDL, Luneau full time next season, then whoever we draft (if we go D) in 2 years or trade for a 1 year stop gap if that player needs time.

Jeff Petry has a year left on his contract, $6.25 million AAV. He’s 37, but he’s still got gas in the tank, and could be a serviceable stop gap. Don’t know if he’d actually be available though.

Pagnotta and Friedman both coming out with Gibson to DET rumors. Yzerman just cleared some cap space, I wonder what his plan and timeline is? Is he making moves during the draft, or is he already looking at UFAs?

Reactions: lwvs84

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Jeff Petry has a year left on his contract, $6.25 million AAV. He’s 37, but he’s still got gas in the tank, and could be a serviceable stop gap. Don’t know if he’d actually be available though.

Pagnotta and Friedman both coming out with Gibson to DET rumors. Yzerman just cleared some cap space, I wonder what his plan and timeline is? Is he making moves during the draft, or is he already looking at UFAs?
I think the Wings would love to include Petry, but he has a 15 team no trade list.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dunno, I kinda get what Friedman means by this seeming like a precursor to something, but I'm not seeing how it all connects.

San Jose is out of retention slots, aren't they?

Yep… so unless sharks are taking cap dumps to help facilitate trades idk

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Gibson does not have negative value. Teams are calling PV for trades and he's holding out. No one should expect a giant return but it won't be for a worse return because what would be the point of the trade then? I could easily see swapping picks 15 and 31 with a trade with Detroit.

As for Fowler, this has already been addressed. Too many young defensemen equals complete failure. Everything PV has said indicates he's looking to improve, not take a step back. The Ducks need more vets, not less. Fowler is blocking anyone because no one on the Ducks is pushing his ice time. In fact, the team would probably be stoked if that was happening but it's clearly not. The logic for trading Gibson is, in theory, because Dostal is ready. No one on this team is ready for Fowler's minutes, no one.
This is the stock argument that Fowler is good. That no one else can handle his minutes. But if the minutes he plays aren't good, does that mean Fowler is still good? No, it just means he plays a lot of minutes.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
This is the stock argument that Fowler is good. That no one else can handle his minutes. But if the minutes he plays aren't good, does that mean Fowler is still good? No, it just means he plays a lot of minutes.
The stock argument is that Fowler handles the harder minutes so the young players can succeed with easier minutes. If the kids were better than Fowler they would already be taking those harder minutes. There's only 2 reasonable reasons that they wouldn't be, 1 they're not better than Fowler(most likely, IMO) or 2, the coaching staff is making a mistake, which to that I would say, EVERY staff we've had uses Fowler in the same way which suggests if #2 were true it would be true for ALL of his coaching staffs. Obviously the player ages and what was true 5 years ago is probably not true today but the guy is about as consistent as they come and had his best years in recent memory. Did he suddenly become bad? I doubt it given these conversations seem to have been happening for like 10 years and he keeps pluggin away under multiple regimes. I suspect we might see Minty start getting some of those minutes this season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I dunno, I kinda get what Friedman means by this seeming like a precursor to something, but I'm not seeing how it all connects.

San Jose is out of retention slots, aren't they?
Didn't he mean Detroit moving money out is a precursor to something for them bringing money in?

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

So the solution is to saddle those minutes with players who can barely handle what they get now? Can you imagine how Mintyukov would have looked last year with those increased minutes and level of competition? Mintyukov was awesome and earned more ice time but he would have crumbled with more than he got. Gudas struggled with increased minutes and so did LaCombe.

I just don't understand how the Ducks get better by removing Fowler and increasing the ice time of young players next season. Eventually, Fowler will have to go but next season is too early.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Didn't he mean Detroit moving money out is a precursor to something for them bringing money in?
Didn't Friedman say they already have $28M in free cap space? So I think his point was that the trade moving money out was a precursor to something, but what, given that they seemingly already had space to take on money. That was my take on his comment.

Reactions: Arthuros and Static

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Yeah, but then he was guessing that the money out might be related to Gibson or something like that. They wouldn't need that much room if it was just Gibson - they must be planning something bigger. I'd guess Gibson might be a fallback to Saros?

Cause the Walman dump might have made sense if it was the Sharks retaining part of Gibson's contract, but they're out of retention spots, so it feels like the Sharks aren't quite done with the Red Wings yet but I don't think it's directly related to a Gibson trade at this point.

Reactions: Static

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad