GDT: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread , Free Agency Frenzy, July 1st @ 9am PT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm concerned about our amount of cap space honestly. The last thing we need is another Kilorn/Strome contract. I'd rather see him use some of our draft capital to trade for guys with shorter term than add another 5 million 3rd liner.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm concerned about our amount of cap space honestly. The last thing we need is another Kilorn/Strome contract. I'd rather see him use some of our draft capital to trade for guys with shorter term than add another 5 million 3rd liner.
His FA report card actually isn't that bad. I would not do the strome contract again, but I would do the gudas, vatrano, and even the killorn deals again. Killorn played very well after he cleaned up his knee.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Apparently the Walman trade was confusing even to the Sharks themselves? Some former Stars insider (Sean Shapiro) had contacts that said the Sharks would probably have claimed him anyway if Detroit had just waived him.

All speculation at this point, but if this isn't some kind of pre-determined sequence of events where the Sharks are obligated to claim a different cap dump as the future considerations to the Walman trade, gotta think there's some personal beef associated with Walman himself.

...or Yzerman's an idiot. All possible.

I believe Walman was relegated to their 7th D spot once Edvinsson started to emerge towards the end of the season. If he's only a bottom pairing guy at best (or placeholder top 4 on a bad team I guess), at 3.4M AAV (this year and next) he's just not going to have positive value to anyone, and I can see why he would have negative value to Detroit. Add in the 10 team NTC and you may only have had a couple teams who you were trying to convince to take him off your hands. However, I don't see why you don't waive him first and at least try to dump the contract outright?

Detroit still has four veteran D under contract (Chiarot, Maata, Holl, Petry), RFA Seider and Edvinsson ready to go. Plus I would assume they want to try and bring back Gostisbehere. Walman has no real use among that group and they are still possibly looking at a surplus.

Reactions: Arthuros

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After landing Killorn, Gudas, and Vatrano. I feel there is hope he can get someone fairly big. I don't expect like a Reinhart type who may be fine to move, and chase the money, since he won a cup, but I do think it's possible to get at least one of the Top 6 RW or Top 4D Verbeek was looking for. Both may be a challenge. But we shall see.

Reactions: lwvs84

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
If Verbeek is able to offload Gibson and his $6.4M salary (with three years remaining) and install Dostal ($815K) as the starting goalie, that's a massive savings that could mean the difference between Reinhart/Stamkos and, say, a reunion with Adam Henrique.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If Verbeek is able to offload Gibson and his $6.4M salary (with three years remaining) and install Dostal ($815K) as the starting goalie, that's a massive savings that could mean the difference between Reinhart/Stamkos and, say, a reunion with Adam Henrique.
That's what got Toronto into their troubles. If you throw a huge contract at a UFA (Tavares), every good young player after that will want comparable contracts. That's a recipe for cap problems.

Also, we have a massive amount of free cap space right now. Moving Gibson would have little to do with any signing we might pursue.

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
That's what got Toronto into their troubles. If you throw a huge contract at a UFA (Tavares), every good young player after that will want comparable contracts. That's a recipe for cap problems.

Also, we have a massive amount of free cap space right now. Moving Gibson would have little to do with any signing we might pursue.
This is correct. 100%. However I think it’s “easier” now than ever to unload a bad contract if you’re willing to pay in picks. Also I think the cap going up changes that too. But I hear what you’re saying

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The Ducks are roughly $11M below the floor, with no major RFAs to sign.

They’re gonna do something. I don’t know who they’ll get, but they’re gonna add players.

Obviously but it doesn't need to be long term. That's where the mistakes get made.

I'm not sure there's a single UFA I'd give more than 3 years to at their projected AAV's.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
His FA report card actually isn't that bad. I would not do the strome contract again, but I would do the gudas, vatrano, and even the killorn deals again. Killorn played very well after he cleaned up his knee.

I think the Strome contract was horrendous. The Vatrano contract was a home run. I like the Gudas one. I don’t agree about Kilorn. Based on history, he should worsen over the rest of the contract due to his age. I like the player but that’s too much for me. It’s not killing us or anything. I’m saying we shouldn’t be adding another 3rd line talent to a long term, 5 million ish salary. Killer played like a 2nd liner part of last season but I’m not expecting that contract to age well at all. Don’t need 3 “3rd line” talented players locked up for years.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I think the Strome contract was horrendous. The Vatrano contract was a home run. I like the Gudas one. I don’t agree about Kilorn. Based on history, he should worsen over the rest of the contract due to his age. I like the player but that’s too much for me. It’s not killing us or anything. I’m saying we shouldn’t be adding another 3rd line talent to a long term, 5 million ish salary. Killer played like a 2nd liner part of last season but I’m not expecting that contract to age well at all. Don’t need 3 “3rd line” talented players locked up for years.
5 million will probably be the going rate for a decent 3rd liner. Might be an overpayment of like a million dollars a year, which in the grand scheme of things, isn’t all that impacting.

Am I crazy for wanting Ducks to go after Trouba? 2 years at 8 million. Will eat 20 minutes. Probably a very buy low candidate.

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
5 million will probably be the going rate for a decent 3rd liner. Might be an overpayment of like a million dollars a year, which in the grand scheme of things, isn’t all that impacting.

Am I crazy for wanting Ducks to go after Trouba? 2 years at 8 million. Will eat 20 minutes. Probably a very buy low candidate.
I don’t hate the idea of Trouba either but I would want some retention. Big, mean, physical, hard to play against. Even if he crosses the line from time to time

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I know the guy makes boneheaded plays and whatnot but I feel we could benefit from having another "tough guy" on D to balance out the pairings. Maybe we get that from the draft though, there are reports we go for Silayev too.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
After landing Killorn, Gudas, and Vatrano. I feel there is hope he can get someone fairly big. I don't expect like a Reinhart type who may be fine to move, and chase the money, since he won a cup, but I do think it's possible to get at least one of the Top 6 RW or Top 4D Verbeek was looking for. Both may be a challenge. But we shall see.
Yup, Reinhart and his 57 goals are going to get an insane contract. I’d definitely try to steal J. March away from the Knights though.

Sure, If Fowler is going the other way.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Mintyukov - Trouba
Zellweger - Gudas
Lacombe - Hakanpaa

In the absence of a true top pairing, I want to see something like this. Everyone playing their strong side, strengths and weaknesses or playing styles seemingly balance out. Three pairs who can all give you 15+ mins at even strength on any given night. At no point would you not have a very physically engaged veteran RHD on the ice.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Mintyukov - Trouba
Zellweger - Gudas
Lacombe - Hakanpaa

In the absence of a true top pairing, I want to see something like this. Everyone playing their strong side, strengths and weaknesses or playing styles seemingly balance out. Three pairs who can all give you 15+ mins at even strength on any given night. At no point would you not have a very physically engaged veteran RHD on the ice.
Fowler isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: Rybread86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad