Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
How does he know the team flailed around and failed? Maybe Verbeek just didn't find the right players at the right price. We've got cap space, but RFA's to sign down the road and spots on the roster to open up for young players. Just seems like an uneducated take.

Well, we failed to get better today so that's objectively true. "Flailed" is colorful language that could be argued one way or the other, but that's just semantics. I agree with the gist of what he's saying.

Reactions: Tony O

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I feel like the failure of today is more on how the team performed in the previous few seasons rather than Verbeek just sitting around drinking monsters all day. Which is partially on Verbeek and its partially on the previous regime before Verbeek.

This is the challenge of being bad for so many years. Many of the F/As today view you as a bottom feeder. Its ultimately going to be up to Zegras, McTavish, Minty, Cutter, Leo, Terry and others to change that perception over the next few years.

Reactions: spuddy

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
For some reason my comments keep getting blipped away in the field at the bottom of the page. So I wrote this in my notes app. Anyway let me try to remember what I wrote.

I don’t think this team is ready for a big free agent. I’d love to have stammer on this team but what good would he be as a “missing piece” if he can only get us to mediocrity. One player doesn’t make a team. The Ducks need to prove that they are not a basement dweller. When that happens, then you find the missing piece. I’m confident that the Ducks can compete. Confident but not certain. I understand, I’m right there with you, we’ve been under the impression that the rebuild phase will be over any day now for a few years. All I’m saying is, the Ducks are not ready to have a superstar on the team when we were again one of the worst teams in the league last year. But like I said, I’m confident in this team we have. They have the potential to be good.

Maybe I’m just rambling, but I’m not too mad that the Ducks did nothing much today.

My first two attempts at this comment were better written.
I don't disagree but it is fair to say that PV was very vocal about committing to get a top six RW and a top 4D. Most were probably assuming that they would be obtaining via free agency but it looks like that ship has sailed. So now it's the trade route. Does he look for cap casualties like Ceci or does he trade a Zegras to get someone better. Either way, I don't think many fans will be happy with whatever he does.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I don't disagree but it is fair to say that PV was very vocal about committing to get a top six RW and a top 4D. Most were probably assuming that they would be obtaining via free agency but it looks like that ship has sailed. So now it's the trade route. Does he look for cap casualties like Ceci or does he trade a Zegras to get someone better. Either way, I don't think many fans will be happy with whatever he does.
At the end of the day, I’ll restate. I will be more than ok with a slight overpay in a trade for a necas/trouba…. Far more so than having overpaid in years+ millions in free agency today. We have way to many picks and prospects to chose from in the form of trade capital.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
At the end of the day, I’ll restate. I will be more than ok with a slight overpay in a trade for a necas/trouba…. Far more so than having overpaid in years+ millions in free agency today. We have way to many picks and prospects to chose from in the form of trade capital.
Necas and Trouba are two completely different animals. Carolina wants a lot for Necas and may actually keep him at this point. But assuming that Carolina was willing to take back picks and prospects...what do you think the price would be? Certainly seems like a 25 top 10 protected 1st (which would become an unprotected 1st in 26) and a significant young prospect. Expensive.

Trouba is a declining asset who has a 15 team NTC...wanna bet if the Ducks are on that list?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Duck Knight

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
McTavish - 64 games
Killorn - 63 games
Carlsson - 55 games
Mintyukov - 63 games
Zegras - 31 games
Zellweger - 26 games
Gauthier - acquired

I’m just hoping we get a bit more health luck and excited to see to see what a year of growth does. Hopefully they can give Carlsson a bigger role. Our bigger gets were Killorn, Vatrano, Gudas, etc now its just filling in a couple spots or possibly trading for an upgrade. Can’t help it if the bigger FA’s didn’t want to sign on a lotto team

Reactions: 2faded

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Necas and Trouba are two completely different animals. Carolina wants a lot for Necas and may actually keep him at this point. But assuming that Carolina was willing to take back picks and prospects...what do you think the price would be? Certainly seems like a 25 top 10 protected 1st (which would become an unprotected 1st in 26) and a significant young prospect. Expensive.

Trouba is a declining asset who has a 15 NTC...wanna bet if the Ducks are on that list?

To add to this the price at the draft for Necas was a top 10 pick plus a roster player. Then you need to give 8x7-8.

Trouba isn't happening unless he hits waivers. And even then he may refuse to report.

Reactions: tomd

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I feel like the failure of today is more on how the team performed in the previous few seasons rather than Verbeek just sitting around drinking monsters all day. Which is partially on Verbeek and its partially on the previous regime before Verbeek.

This is the challenge of being bad for so many years. Many of the F/As today view you as a bottom feeder. Its ultimately going to be up to Zegras, McTavish, Minty, Cutter, Leo, Terry and others to change that perception over the next few years.
Also guys like klingberg who in past seasons would have be open to giving us the benefit of the doubt on a short, high aav contract probably wont anymore as well

McTavish - 64 games
Killorn - 63 games
Carlsson - 55 games
Mintyukov - 63 games
Zegras - 31 games
Zellweger - 26 games
Gauthier - acquired

I’m just hoping we get a bit more health luck and excited to see to see what a year of growth does. Hopefully they can give Carlsson a bigger role. Our bigger gets were Killorn, Vatrano, Gudas, etc now its just filling in a couple spots or possibly trading for an upgrade. Can’t help it if the bigger FA’s didn’t want to sign on a lotto team
Was thinking about this earlier in that in lieu of signings we are hoping to get an additional 100+ games of these guys who should be among our best players

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
yet every other team didnt waste time improving their roster...
Most of the people here (including me) would have been happy throwing big money for short term at a couple of those guys. But you can see, none of them took the bait. So we should have just said screw it, here's 7 years and too much money, now will you please sign here? You can't have it both ways. Either those deals were bad and you walk away or you screw yourself 3-4 years down the line.

Instant gratification isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Him expressing that passion likely won’t lead to the best coverage of the team.

If he’s critical of the team, PR isn’t gonna be wanting to give him as much access. It’s gonna be harder to form relationships with people in the org, get sources, etc.

He can be passionate, that’s his choice, but it’s gonna be akin to any fan on here writing about the team.

No. At least it shouldn’t.

A GM can’t say they want a T4 dman + T6 foward, then just roll over and walk away with nothing by the end of the offseason. I gotta think he’s gonna make a significant addition of some sort.
Agreed, but it’s not like the obsequious guys were ever given any actual insight either.

Reactions: Dostwall

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
So it's being reported we did take big swings at Stammer and Marshy, but they went for NSH. So we could have been outbid or those guys saw NSH as having a better chance to contend and they just want to win.

We're going to miss out on some guys who want a Cup or another Cup before retiring.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I think there are players that don’t want to play for us based on where our team is in the rebuild.

It is possible we bid more and it was turned down. Rico turned down more dollars from other teams to winter in Edmonton.

Unfortunately no one wants to play for a losing team. Gibson is overpaid and he doesn’t. Money doesn’t offset nightly frustration.

John

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

Right now we’re basically the NHL’s version of the Detroit Pistons. It’s going to take time to undo that reputation. Unfortunately, we’re going to have to swing some trades to bulk up the roster and just prove on the ice that we’re not a perpetual bottom feeder before the key UFAs will seriously consider coming to Anaheim.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
lindholm aside, not really. guys like shattenkirk, kase, heinen, and ritchie weren't exactly difference makers during their time in boston

2023-24 Bruins (Lindholm, Heinen, Shatty).png

Heinen and Shatty were crucial to keeping the Bruins' afloat and then some b/c they were expected to be terrible this season due to cap restraints. Instead, the team finished 2nd in the Atlantic, one point behind the eventual Stanley Cup winners, Florida Panthers. Shatty bought the Bruins time for young D Lohrei to develop and Lohrei stepped up in the playoffs. Heinen brought much needed scoring and 4 GWGs for a $0.775 mil contract. Ducks' Killorn had 36 points for the Ducks and is being paid $6.5 mil AAV, just to give some perspective.

I don't know why add the descriptor "difference makers" since we Duck fans haven't seen the playoffs for the past six seasons and projecting like it'll be seven seasons. Did their contributions help the Bruins stay a playoff team? Yes. Bruins fans were expecting the worst going into last season due to losing several offensive forwards (Bergeron, Krejci, and Hall).

No need to hate on them having success and helping their team out to a playoff spot. With the new cap and a lot of cap relief going into next season, both Heinen and Shatty were replaced by E. Lindholm and Zadorov. Both Heinen and Shatty did their jobs for the Bruins this past season, who were on a limited budget and lacking top end talents compared to the previous season.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
No matter how you try to spin it, this was a discouraging day for Duck fans. It sure looks like any improvements over last year are only going to be from the young players playing better after a season's experience, the addition of Gauthier and Colangelo, and some magic beans.

I suppose that the magic beans will turn into an expensive player or players in the form of a cap dump or dumps from some other team or teams, since according to Cap Friendly (may it soon rest in peace) the Ducks salary total is just under $58.4 million, which is still $6.6 and million and change under the floor. That $58.4 million includes McGinn, but does not include LaCombe or anything for a seventh defenseman.

It is impossible for me to know at this point in time which teams will have to dump salary. Cap Friendly is not a good guide at this point, because many teams still have players to sign, and some teams have players listed on LTIR who will be back on the active roster a the start of the season. But even at this point in time Cap Friendly shows five teams over the cap. So cap dumps will be available, although how useful those dumps will be to the Ducks is unknown.

I guess that I should not be surprised or disappointed, since I never really expected this team to compete for a playoff spot next year. However, I was hoping for more progress toward competency and the development of a positive culture. I don't see that happening at this point in time, and that is disappointing. I don't want another bottom, or even bottom five finish.

Instead of watching a competitive team I expect by December to again be reading the reviews of the leading prospects subject to the draft and wondering which one the Ducks will get. I am tired of doing this and wish that the Ducks would give me something to cheer about, and some hope for the future. Instead I fear that the Ducks are copying the Angels, and selling minor league performance in which is supposed to be a major league league.

But who knows, maybe tomorrow will bring good news. To quote from Alexander Pope, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast..."

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Right now we’re basically the NHL’s version of the Detroit Pistons. It’s going to take time to undo that reputation. Unfortunately, we’re going to have to swing some trades to bulk up the roster and just prove on the ice that we’re not a perpetual bottom feeder before the key UFAs will seriously consider coming to Anaheim.
they've still got a ways to go to be as bad as the pistons who haven't won a playoff series since 08

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We all know the Ducks HAVE to make some moves to get to the cap floor.

So, I am confident that this roster will be better by opening night.

We have quite a few spots open in San Diego to fill, according to Defend the Nest's breakdown for 2024-25. There could be up to 8 - 10 roster spots that need to be filled. Also, Luneau's salary doesn't count against the cap right now as CapFriendly has him as a non-roster player. His contract is worth $0.865 mil.

There's a possibility we nickel and dime our way to the floor.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
View attachment 891192

Heinen and Shatty were crucial to keeping the Bruins' afloat and then some b/c they were expected to be terrible this season due to cap restraints. Instead, the team finished 2nd in the Atlantic, one point behind the eventual Stanley Cup winners, Florida Panthers. Shatty bought the Bruins time for young D Lohrei to develop and Lohrei stepped up in the playoffs. Heinen brought much needed scoring and 4 GWGs for a $0.775 mil contract. Ducks' Killorn had 36 points for the Ducks and is being paid $6.5 mil AAV, just to give some perspective.

I don't know why add the descriptor "difference makers" since we Duck fans haven't seen the playoffs for the past six seasons and projecting like it'll be seven seasons. Did their contributions help the Bruins stay a playoff team? Yes. Bruins fans were expecting the worst going into last season due to losing several offensive forwards (Bergeron, Krejci, and Hall).

No need to hate on them having success and helping their team out to a playoff spot. With the new cap and a lot of cap relief going into next season, both Heinen and Shatty were replaced by E. Lindholm and Zadorov. Both Heinen and Shatty did their jobs for the Bruins this past season, who were on a limited budget and lacking top end talents compared to the previous season.
heinen and shattenkirk were not crucial in any way to the bruins success this past season. both are easily replaceable players

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Too many excuses are being made for the failure to improve today. Is every player going to want to play for the ducks, of course not. But as a GM you vet those things prior to July 1 and you make a plan. Then you make a Plan B. To not improve at all today seems like a real lack of preparation, plain and simple.

Also, some of you all are acting like we are trying to recruit guys to an AHL team in Topeka Kansas. It’s not a bad life being a multi-millionaire athlete in OC. Also, we aren’t Calgary… we could very well be legitimately competitive within a couple years with the right additions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad