Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jack Roslovic signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $2.8M)

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
From a fancy stat standpoint it's most likely fine, but does he actually help teams win?

He's kinda the anti RBA forward, you're gonna see fly bys from him defensively that RBA will bench him games for. At whatever AAV under 2.5, I'm assuming, is fine for a player for like him tho

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
I am pleased that this non-performer is no longer a member of the Rangers. Nothing personal, but he was a nothing. Rangers fans who watched knew he would not be back.
He was a low cost TDL add who was just a placeholder. Skates fast, that was about all.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Thought he was decent in playoffs. Rags fans seem to disagree, but they also might actually like how Trouba plays hockey, so it’s hard to know what to think.
From the little I saw from him, he didn't seem too bad if he'd be your 3rd line C. He was good for 40-45 points in Columbus. I could have pictured the Sabres or Bruins going for him for some added depth at C, something they both could use.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
From the little I saw from him, he didn't seem too bad if he'd be your 3rd line C. He was good for 40-45 points in Columbus. I could have pictured the Sabres or Bruins going for him for some added depth at C, something they both could use.
Yeh I only caught a couple of Rags games in detail, but thought he was fine and had his moments. And would be fine as a 3C option in this League.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
He has some high end tools but lacks consistency and doesn't always seem the smartest guy on ice. The upside is in Carolina they have a well established system, which I guess could help him if you're lucky. I think his 5v5 scoring rates in Columbus were always pretty good and when he didn't make huge defensive mistakes he was an OK player. I don't think he'll ever "figure it out" to become nearly as good as he could be with his skillset, but in a good system or a Jack-whisperer in his line, I think he has some upside to be a better player than we've seen. Or at least a consistent middle-6 contributor.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He’s fine as cheap depth, but he doesn’t bring much to the table. He’s an NHL player, but doesn’t do anything particularly well. I was not a fan of his with NYR. Just a very blah player. It depends what you paid, and what your expecting…

For the Canes, it's likely scoring for the bottom-6, some PP minutes, and taking RH faceoffs. Basically the Stefan Noesen role except Roslovic can also take faceoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the Canes, it's likely scoring for the bottom-6, some PP minutes, and taking RH faceoffs. Basically the Stefan Noesen role except Roslovic can also take faceoffs.

In Columbus we thought Roslovic was one of our best PKers, and he was one of our best PP scorers from the bumper position. He was never particularly good at faceoffs, and tends to be too absent minded defensively to stick at center. But Rod will push him and maybe that will help. He was pushed last year to be more physical and he is strong enough to look good doing that, but he went back to playing soft after a little while.

Great speed and shot, incredibly streaky and frustrating how he manages to disappear for so long. His scoring numbers always end up okay, but that's twenty games of elite looking offense and 50+ of him doing nothing.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
He’s fine as cheap depth, but he doesn’t bring much to the table. He’s an NHL player, but doesn’t do anything particularly well. I was not a fan of his with NYR. Just a very blah player. It depends what you paid, and what your expecting…

I think Rangers never saw the best Roslovic - but having an impression of "blah" probably means you didn't see the worst of him either, now that guy could really make you pull your hair out :D Slightly encouraging for Canes, might mean he's capable of being consistently OK in a good team.

In Columbus, it felt like every season he was really bad for 20 games, being one of the worst underachievers, then when the season was starting to feel already lost he'd start to improve and at some point you'd realize his numbers have actually become quite good in the context of his team and usage. Then he'd go on a 10 game hot streak late in the year where he'd look like a star. That would get your hopes up, so that he could properly disappoint you next fall again.

Most CBJ fans seem to sort of like him, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single one that is missing his on-ice contributions.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
In Columbus we thought Roslovic was one of our best PKers, and he was one of our best PP scorers from the bumper position. He was never particularly good at faceoffs, and tends to be too absent minded defensively to stick at center. But Rod will push him and maybe that will help. He was pushed last year to be more physical and he is strong enough to look good doing that, but he went back to playing soft after a little while.

Great speed and shot, incredibly streaky and frustrating how he manages to disappear for so long. His scoring numbers always end up okay, but that's twenty games of elite looking offense and 50+ of him doing nothing.

Good PP scoring as a bumper? That's what Noesen did for us. I kind of see what the Canes are going for. Perhaps Roslovic's numbers will improve if he's only taking them against right-handers. Again, the Canes only really need his faceoffs in certain contexts. All of the guys on our team who are actually good at being centers are lefties.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think Rangers never saw the best Roslovic - but having an impression of "blah" probably means you didn't see the worst of him either, now that guy could really make you pull your hair out :D Slightly encouraging for Canes, might mean he's capable of being consistently OK in a good team.

In Columbus, it felt like every season he was really bad for 20 games, being one of the worst underachievers, then when the season was starting to feel already lost he'd start to improve and at some point you'd realize his numbers have actually become quite good in the context of his team and usage. Then he'd go on a 10 game hot streak late in the year where he'd look like a star. That would get your hopes up, so that he could properly disappoint you next fall again.

Most CBJ fans seem to sort of like him, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single one that is missing his on-ice contributions.
I didn’t want to sound like I’m kicking a guy who left, but I wouldn’t want him around as more than a 13th forward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Depending on what the dollars are, i don't mind him as a cheap Top-9 complementary Forward. He's got that C/W versatility, but personally...i think he's probably better suited to playing Wing as a 3rd wheel to a pair of better players. Doesn't really have any standout individual skills or traits. Probably his most useful skill is that he can read reasonably well off more skilled players. Well enough to mostly stay out of the way and collect some points. There are worse things. Like being an absolute play-killer completely out of sync with everyone.

Though i'm not sure that what Carolina really needed was a complementary Filler sort of guy. Seems like they much more desperately need more offensive "play drivers". Especially if they do end up eventually moving Necas at some point. Though obviously i'd expect this to come in at a dollar value that has very little real ramifications when it comes to looking for that player as well. Just another body that isn't a real offensive catalyst up front.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad