Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I think Tarasenko is physically broken down from all his shoulder problems and he was only an average skater in his prime. I don't think he has his outstanding wrist shot any more. He's the type of vet who probably signs later in the summer when his agent realizes that no one really wants his services at his asking price but who knows. FA frenzy always results in some strange deals.
What is it about Tarasenko, seems to have a bit of that best player no one really wants vibe, even after winning a Cup? Easily the most productive player left on the FA pile.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Which deal do you choose then?
Term on stamkos sucks but I'd have bit the bullet there. We all knew Roy was getting term and the avg wasn't terrible. You cant just keep leaving holes on the roster and expect improvement. Sometimes there is just a cost of doing business. Heck 2 mill on Stenlund I would have done. We are literally the 3rd worst team last year. Sold off decent players. Didn't replace them making us worse and now are looking to fill our holes with all the other teams cast offs which means they players they dont want. Expecting any improvement is unlikely and all the kids are subjected to another futile season with 0 real support. We are well on our way to being Buffalo west.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Term on stamkos sucks but I'd have bit the bullet there. We all knew Roy was getting term and the avg wasn't terrible. You can just keep leaving holes on the roster and expect improvement. Sometimes there is just a cost of doing business. Heck 2 mill on Stenlund I would have done. We are literally the 3rd worst team last year. Sold off decent players. Didn't replace them making us worse and now are looking to fill our joles with all the other teams cast offs which means they player they dont want. Expecting any improvement is unlikely and all the kids are subjected to another futile season with 0 real support. We are well on our way to being Buffalo west.

I am mildly concerned what consistently bottoming out is doing to our young guys who have eaten a lot of it. Terry and Zegras specifically. Hopefully the new blood can take big steps this year.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
OR, maybe some Ducks fans aren't as smart as they think as they're chirping "too much, too long" every year while we sit at the bottom of the league.
Florida didn't have any guys on their roster whom they overpaid for on the first day of free agency. They were mostly savvy trade targets and free agent/waiver wire pickups. Neither did Colorado. Tampa had some guys they overpaid for after they acquired them through trade and some depth signings. Vegas is really the only team that built heavily by signing big on July 1st.

I'd love to get someone, too, but these deals are nuts. They only make sense if you're in win now mode and are fine writing off the last two, three years of the contract. That's not Anaheim yet.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I am mildly concerned what consistently bottoming out is doing to our young guys who have eaten a lot of it. Terry and Zegras specifically. Hopefully the new blood can take big steps this year.
How long until we trade Zegras for more picks and Verbeek double dips on the reset rebuild...

Reactions: DavidBL

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Florida didn't have any guys on their roster whom they overpaid for on the first day of free agency. They were mostly savvy trade targets and free agent/waiver wire pickups. Neither did Colorado. Tampa had some guys they overpaid for after they acquired them through trade and some depth signings. Vegas is really the only team that built heavily by signing big on July 1st.

I'd love to get someone, too, but these deals are nuts. They only make sense if you're in win now mode and are fine writing off the last two, three years of the contract. That's not Anaheim yet.

We need to be able to draft absolute studs that have no veteran presence on the team to guide them. Zegras is good and all but we aren't winning anything with 60-point players. Can we reliably develop a superstar from the very bottom of the league with no proper veteran presence? I still think this team is suffering badly from Getzlaf hanging them up a bit early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad