Prospect Info: 2024-25 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There must be something I’m missing when it comes to him. Players like Hinds, Colangelo (and to a point Dionicio) have been talked about highly by our organization - yet Will (Scouching) doesn’t seem to make an impression on him.

I don’t think he’s very good at what he does, but at the same time, he’s like the main guy with content creation in this niche field.

I guess the best comparison is our board's ranking of Pastujov. We talked highly of Pastujov before he went pro. The first year he went pro, that high-end production in juniors ceased to exist and his ranking plummeted behind Sidorov in this year's board rankings. Pastujov ranked 9th in last year's board prospect rankings, with Gaucher being 8th. This year, Pasta is ranked 19th, but Gaucher remains up high at 10th overall. I don't comprehend why Pastujov would drop so drastically or drop behind Sidorov because the talent didn't go away for Pastujov; Pasta just wen to a higher league level of competition.

Similarly with Colangelo. In our 2022 HFboard prospect rankings, Colangelo was ranked 17th. Then in 2023, he was dropped to 25th. This summer's prospect ranking, Colangelo got bumped all the way up to 7th. Why the wild disparity in rankings from year to year?

Scouching's template looks to be based upon production at the pro level, where talent gets to prove itself against potential, because that is the end goal of every prospect. In his prospects pyramid, the only player to display that impact at a pro level in a large sample is Zellweger. There isn't much fluctuations of a prospect yo-yoing up and down tiers for Scouching's pyramid rankings/tiers. That makes a lot more sense, otherwise, his rankings would be as whimsical as our rankings from year to year.

As for Colangelo being in the bottom tier, I could understand that today ranking because Colangelo's college career has fluctuated in extremes. Even in his senior year in college, his play stagnated in the 2nd half. I recall comparing Colangelo and Cutter's goal scoring once we acquired Cutter. They both were producing similarly, but Colangelo's scoring stalled for a long minute in the 2nd half of the season while Cutter's goal scoring just kept soaring. Even our GM was iffy on signing Colangelo to where Colangelo had to prove himself with a AHL ATO contract instead of being offered an ELC outright. Although, I'd put Colangelo in the "Maybe" section instead of the "Everyone Else".

Hinds' physique and tool box potential is lesser than Warren's, which is why Warren is in the "Maybe" section and Hinds in the "Everyone Else" section. Scouching doesn't knock Warren down the pyramid despite being injury plagued for the past two seasons. Hinds, otoh, has been exceeding his consensus potential of a solid stay-at-home defenseman with us on our HFboards, but Scouching isn't a believer at the moment. In the last month of the AHL, Hinds went from +1 rating to a -8 rating. That skews the overview of Hinds in his first pro season at the AHL level. I know this, but I don't think Scouching goes into this much depth since he's covering all of the NHL prospects.

At the HFboard's "NHL Draft - Prospects" Forum, there's a thread about best future D corps. I chimed in for our Ducks' youths, but I didn't dare list Warren nor Hinds nor Moore as our notable, top youths. They are just DFD's with the hopes they can earn their way into the NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
40 minutes into the first pre-season game for SHL at Solberg has about 6 hits, 4 PIM and one "fight" where he protected himself from Remi Ellie that took offence for an accidental high stick from Solberg when the offensive hit he gave to a defender made him go down and when Solberg tried to reach for the puck, the D got a stick in the face. I will love watching him this year

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
40 minutes into the first pre-season game for SHL at Solberg has about 6 hits, 4 PIM and one "fight" where he protected himself from Remi Ellie that took offence for an accidental high stick from Solberg when the offensive hit he gave to a defender made him go down and when Solberg tried to reach for the puck, the D got a stick in the face. I will love watching him this year
Let him cook

Solberg is really unique and intriguing

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Gauthier 7th, sennecke 18th, solberg 48th, luneau 83rd.

Carlsson and zellweger graduated because they use calder eligibility as their criteria (25 NHL games).

If there is a sleeper pick on this list, it’s Damian Clara. The 6-foot-6 Italian goalie (the first Italian ever drafted in the NHL) is a monster in the crease, and his game took another step forward this season with Byrnas, helping secure a championship in the Allsvenskan before a strong showing for Italy at the international level. Two different NHL goalie coaches had Clara in their top-five prospects, which is something to watch for in the future, and one team exec told me Clara was “one of the best draft interviews he’d ever had” with a goalie.

Clara is calm and composed and moves extremely well for a big goalie. He uses his depth to his advantage and is able to play deeper in the crease to properly track pucks through traffic. His feet also get set and locked in efficiently, even after moving, which allows him to make proper save selection. I’m not moving him up that high yet, but people in the goalie world believe this kid is going to be a stud and could potentially make a name for himself as Italy’s starting goalie at the 2026 Olympics.

Clara 10th

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Rodwin Dionicio had a great season in Saginaw he really stepped up in the Memorial Cup when Parekh was playing hurt more PP time and his D was excellent as well. Has good size, speed, shot, good 1st pass out of O zone and IQ, His game definitely developed nicely and JMO but he has some more work in the AHL. Definitely keep an eye on his progress this year

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Rodwin Dionicio had a great season in Saginaw he really stepped up in the Memorial Cup when Parekh was playing hurt more PP time and his D was excellent as well. Has good size, speed, shot, good 1st pass out of O zone and IQ, His game definitely developed nicely and JMO but he has some more work in the AHL. Definitely keep an eye on his progress this year

I remember Hot Rod signing with EHC Biel-Bienne, but I don't see him listed on the team nor in the two pre-season games played. Guess that means Hot Rod will be with Anaheim for pre-season.

San Diego has listed defensemen signed on AHL contracts for this season:
  • LD Roman Kinal
  • LD Dillon Heatherington
  • RD Roland McKeown
  • RD Anthony Costantini
  • RD Andrew Lucas

There is the possibility players can be sent down to the ECHL.

Ducks prospects projected to play in the AHL:
  • LD Hinds
  • RD Helleson
  • RD Warren
  • RD Luneau* (Could be with the NHL club)
It appears there can be a spot for Hot Rod on the AHL club this season if the Ducks don't want to send him to Biel-Bienne.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I remember Hot Rod signing with EHC Biel-Bienne, but I don't see him listed on the team nor in the two pre-season games played. Guess that means Hot Rod will be with Anaheim for pre-season.

San Diego has listed defensemen signed on AHL contracts for this season:
  • LD Roman Kinal
  • LD Dillon Heatherington
  • RD Roland McKeown
  • RD Anthony Costantini
  • RD Andrew Lucas

There is the possibility players can be sent down to the ECHL.

Ducks prospects projected to play in the AHL:
  • LD Hinds
  • RD Helleson
  • RD Warren
  • RD Luneau* (Could be with the NHL club)
It appears there can be a spot for Hot Rod on the AHL club this season if the Ducks don't want to send him to Biel-Bienne.
Dionicio is in Switzerland, skating with Biel.

Dionicio says he wants to play in NA though so unless the Ducks organization somehow wants him to play in Switzerland he's gonna at least start the season in NA. According to rumors he does have a Europe out clause but I don't know about the conditions of that one. Doesn't matter anyway though for as long as the player wants to play in NA.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Usually would want to see any legit CHL prospects breaking into the AHL in their age 20 season, but I think Smith is a rare case where an overage season back in the OHL may be best for development. He's more of a long term project and parts of his game are still pretty raw. This is still only going be to his D+2 year based on being a late bday draft pick, and he lost a key development season due to the pandemic before that. Plus there really isn't a clear path to ice time in SD, especially if Dionicio ends up there putting another body ahead of Smith.

Fowler, Gudas, Dumoulin, Minty, Lacombe, Vaak - I think we can fairly safely assume we will see these six in the NHL + one of Zellweger or Luneau.

That leaves one of the latter two in the AHL along with a ton of depth already -

Heatherington - Luneau
Hinds - McKeown
Dionicio? - Helleson
Kinal - Warren?
Lucas - Constantini

Very good looking AHL group on paper, but there's no room for 20 year old Konnor Smith to get any ice there. It's either OHL or spending the majority of this year in the ECHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dionicio is in Switzerland, skating with Biel.

Dionicio says he wants to play in NA though so unless the Ducks organization somehow wants him to play in Switzerland he's gonna at least start the season in NA. According to rumors he does have a Europe out clause but I don't know about the conditions of that one. Doesn't matter anyway though for as long as the player wants to play in NA.

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at their pre-season games box scores and he hasn't been listed in the lineups. If Hot Rod is still skating with Biel now, then he's probably staying there since the rookie tourney in LA will be starting up in two weeks. Prospects are probably making their way to their respective NHL teams or are already with their respective NHL teams.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Usually would want to see any legit CHL prospects breaking into the AHL in their age 20 season, but I think Smith is a rare case where an overage season back in the OHL may be best for development. He's more of a long term project and parts of his game are still pretty raw. This is still only going be to his D+2 year based on being a late bday draft pick, and he lost a key development season due to the pandemic before that. Plus there really isn't a clear path to ice time in SD, especially if Dionicio ends up there putting another body ahead of Smith.

Smith doesn't have a contract with the Ducks. This season is an important season for him to earn an ELC from Verbeek. If not, then he goes back into the draft.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at their pre-season games box scores and he hasn't been listed in the lineups. If Hot Rod is still skating with Biel now, then he's probably staying there since the rookie tourney in LA will be starting up in two weeks. Prospects are probably making their way to their respective NHL teams or are already with their respective NHL teams.
I'm no Biel insider so I can't tell you exactly where Dionicio is now. I just know for a fact that he was with Biel when their camp opened and he continued to skate with Biel. He wasn't the only guest, I believe JJ Moser was there as well, among others. However, it's possible that Dionicio is on a flight now or already arrived in the States.

I don't know about the Rookie tournament but he's gonna be at NHL camp for sure and he wants to play for San Diego. He wanted to do so last season already, just couldn't after getting traded to Saginaw. Unless the Ducks somehow have other plans for him, expect Dionicio to play for San Diego.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
No way would I trade our prospect pool for for SJ or Chi. I personally don’t really value Bedard or Celebrini over Carlson all that much with Carlson having the potential to be the top playoff guy in that mix with his size and iq. Both of those teams seem a ways off to me before they’re ready to compete where I see us as 2 years off. Our guys do have to show up and make improvements, but given where things are today I think Pronman is way off and feel we get dinged a lot for drafting off the board. The reality is we have one of, if not the best drafting teams. No way would I trust any draft expert over a team of proven draft professionals that do this for a living and don’t write articles.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
No way would I trade our prospect pool for for SJ or Chi. I personally don’t really value Bedard or Celebrini over Carlson all that much with Carlson having the potential to be the top playoff guy in that mix with his size and iq. Both of those teams seem a ways off to me before they’re ready to compete where I see us as 2 years off. Our guys do have to show up and make improvements, but given where things are today I think Pronman is way off and feel we get dinged a lot for drafting off the board. The reality is we have one of, if not the best drafting teams. No way would I trust any draft expert over a team of proven draft professionals that do this for a living and don’t write articles.
He has Cutter as a Bubble top and middle of the lineup player, and last year in this ranking he was a Top of the lineup player. How does he drop tiers after being the best goal scorer and second best player in the NCAA? By being traded to Anaheim.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I appreciate Pronman's articles b/c he does a lot of work and gives NHL fans something to bitch about. He still has his own biases like all other NHL/prospect writers. I won't complain about the writer and his work efforts, but we can bitch about what he writes about - which is entertainment for all. Pronman does cover a helluva lot of prospects to write blurbs about, for which I'm grateful

I think Celebrini and Bedard get a huge value boost to their respective team rankings.

Pronman Prospect Pipeline Ranking (2024).png

Chicago's pipeline really is two players in Bedard and Lev. Korchinski struggled last season. I like San Jose's top-5 and think it's better than our top-5 because of Celebrini and Askarov. I'd actually put Askarov SJ's #2 prospect, tbh.

The problem with Pronman's assessment of Anaheim's prospect was Celebrini and Lev gave their teams a huge value boost and Sennecke didn't. Cutter Gauthier was listed #6 prospect?! Smith (71 pts), Cutter (65 pts), and Celebrini (64 pts) were the top-3 scorers in the NCAA last year, with Cutter having the most goals scored with 38 and Celebrini with 32 goals. Cutter better than SJ #6 and Chicago's #3! Zellweger has already show production at the pro level, including being an AHL All-star.

What makes Anaheim ranking #3 egregious is Pronman citing that Anaheim potentially has two #1C's in Carlsson and Mac. San Jose and Chicago can't top that value endorsement... unless you give Celebrini and Bedard extra, extra value.

Oh... and he forgot about Pastujov, but raved a bit on Sidorov. Eh tu, Brute?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad