Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Im not hitting the panic button yet. They have had glimpses of improvement, and its not going to change over night. Young guys have a lot of old habits they need to get rid of.

And part of the problem is these young guys arent being added to a good roster with a core of vets to lead the way, they are being added as the core group to right the ship. They have to learn the NHL differently than someone who can slot in and lean on a more experienced core.

I dont know if Cronin makes it out of this season. I believe he will, its not like we expect to be a playoff team and are in need of a shakeup to start winning. However, if his tactics dont speak to and influence the young guys, its possible Beeker tries to get some guys in here who can really develop the team and see some increase in game play.

I dont have much to blame Beeker on. Eakins wasnt his guy and the extension was more out of discovery than it was anything else. Cronin was a good pick on paper to change the tone. The trades hes made were out of necessity and opportunity; I dont know that any of them were bad trades, just maybe not ideal to some fans.

I give until the end of November to see where this team is actually at.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
I think Cronin has to go, it looks like he’s effectively sucked the fun offensive creativity out of this team, which is incredibly saddening to me especially with talents like Zegras and Terry, who I believe pay the biggest price.
I have 0 faith in Cronin to develop high end skill or talent. In my opinion he’s a coach that would metaphorically speaking try to turn a giraffe into an elephant, instead of utilizing the players strengths to their advantage.
Ive been terrified of the ramifications of Cronin since lyubushkin came out with his comments this past offseason. The last thing we need is our young team contemplating their love for the game.

I wonder what record is needed for him to get axe’d? Thankfully he only has this season left on his contract.

• Love
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Smirnov2Chistov

Fire Greg Cronin!
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I dont know if Cronin makes it out of this season. I believe he will, its not like we expect to be a playoff team and are in need of a shakeup to start winning. However, if his tactics dont speak to and influence the young guys, its possible Beeker tries to get some guys in here who can really develop the team and see some increase in game play.

There was/were interviews before the start of the season that insinuated (or expressed) by Verbeek that he expects to make a playoff push this season. I'm sure @Hockey Duckie knows the quotes better than myself.

I think Cronin has to go, it looks like he’s effectively sucked the fun offensive creativity out of this team, which is incredibly saddening to me especially with talents like Zegras and Terry, who I believe pay the biggest price.
I have 0 faith in Cronin to develop high end skill or talent. In my opinion he’s a coach that would metaphorically speaking try to turn a giraffe into an elephant, instead of utilizing the players strengths to their advantage.
Ive been terrified of the ramifications of Cronin since lyubushkin came out with his comments this past offseason. The last thing we need is our young team contemplating their love for the game.

I wonder what record is needed for him to get axe’d? Thankfully he only has this season left on his contract.

I don't know what Verbeek saw that justified this would be the right guy. There's a reason why certain guys are recycled around the league. Even if it works out for a few seasons - they tried to make something work.

But don't worry. Another 60 min psychological lesson will help turn the ship around lmao. :banghead::facepalm:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
There was/were interviews before the start of the season that insinuated (or expressed) by Verbeek that he expects to make a playoff push this season. I'm sure @Hockey Duckie knows the quotes better than myself.

Oh I know thats what he said, I just dont think he believes it lol They want to be better than last season, want to see progress and be a fringe playoff team. However, in my eyes its one of those things you say to motivate, as opposed to actually believe its going to happen.

I could be 100% wrong. And if I am wrong then Cronin is on a hotter seat than many believe.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I do not know how much of the problem PV is but honestly, it would be the second coach. Eakins was a relict of GMBM and for that reason never the choice of PV.

Teemu would be a horrible GM imho. Paul will not do it (other preferences) and Nieds, I don't know.

Next to the coaching thing, PV did nothing wrong. Drafting is still open and too early to tell, the trades were mostly. Only the first cleanup went too cheap in my mind.

The idea that “firing” Eakins is PV’s fault and should count against his record is absurd. He inherited him much like he inherited the Gibson problem.

Verbeek is on his first head coach right now in my eyes and gets at least one more before you start to really question his decision making in that regard.

A lot of GMs get to change to different head coaches many times

I brought the receipt on PV's actions.

From the Athletic:

Another thing Verbeek did after last season was pick up Dallas Eakin’s option year. Verbeek resisted the temptation that I think a lot of new GMs have, to bring in his own coach immediately.

“It’s not fair … me coming in two, three months and then going with a new guy,” Verbeek said. “And in the sense that I just blew up the team (at the trade deadline). So I wanted to give him a chance. And it gave us an opportunity to get to know one another over the course of the offseason.

PV didn't provide a better environment for the youth to develop around after "blowing up the team". The team was playing meaningful games such that they were 3rd in the Pacific when PV inherited the team at all-star break and 4 points from 3rd in the Pacific at the TDL. The team flailed to the 10th worst record. The following year we finished with the worst record with 58 points. Last year, we finished 3rd worst with 59 points.

As for inheriting "the Gibson problem", then one can also say PV inherited the "Dost-wall".

Smirnov2Chistov

Fire Greg Cronin!
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah. And maybe he’ll add Babcock and Peters as assistants and complete the trifecta of worst coaching staff ever assembled in the NHL.

John

I hope this is sarcasm? They are all very successful coaches who have championship pedigrees to back it up

Actually one of best coaches... But just not good people outside of hockey?

I honestly couldn’t care less what they do outside of the game. Their on ice job is the most important to me

he just singled out Lacombe lol. This coach is clueless

First time coach and first time GM. Match made in hell for us.

Who actually thought this was a good executive group to go with?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Actually one of best coaches... But just not good people outside of hockey?

he just singled out Lacombe lol. This coach is clueless
I can’t believe Cronin was ok with periods 1 and 2. They had 10 shots during that time frame and they were not dangerous at all. Maybe he only cares about defense? I get the feeling this guy has no idea how to coach offense or even has a system of breakouts or entries beyond dump and chase. He seems more inept every time he talks.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
What coaches around the league might be on the hot seat? Are there any that could potentially be fired that we could pick up (as in a retread coach, someone established and not an experiment)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad