Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I haven’t heard the interview yet as I was out of town for 3 weeks. But from what I read here I’m more upset that Verbeek hired a coach who needs as much help learning to be an NHL coach, as our young guys need help being NHL players. We don’t have time to let our coach grown into his position while our young studs need help they are not getting, at becoming top notch NHL players.

This reeks of a disaster in the making. Boosh just kinda confirmed it.
Yeah this was lingering in the back of my mind while I read through all this. I respect the introspection, willingness to admit fault and willingness to make changes but if it takes Cronin another 2-3 years to figure out how to be an effective coach, that's a huge chunk of time our kids needed better guidance and development that they are never going to get back. This makes me respect Cronin more as a human being but even more afraid for the damage he might cause this team's ability to escape this rebuild phase.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I haven’t heard the interview yet as I was out of town for 3 weeks. But from what I read here I’m more upset that Verbeek hired a coach who needs as much help learning to be an NHL coach, as our young guys need help being NHL players. We don’t have time to let our coach grown into his position while our young studs need help they are not getting, at becoming top notch NHL players.

Theoretically that's what our assistant coaches/player development guys are for, right? TBH that makes losing Getz sting even more.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah this was lingering in the back of my mind while I read through all this. I respect the introspection, willingness to admit fault and willingness to make changes but if it takes Cronin another 2-3 years to figure out how to be an effective coach, that's a huge chunk of time our kids needed better guidance and development that they are never going to get back. This makes me respect Cronin more as a human being but even more afraid for the damage he might cause this team's ability to escape this rebuild phase.
This has always been my biggest criticism around the Cronin hire.

We have one of the greenest, most inexperienced teams in the league with a huge lack of outspoken veteran leadership. Hell, look how long it took to finally throw the C on someone because Fowler isn't leadership quality and everyone else on the roster is either a literal child or a misfit toy from another team that we had to overpay to drag to Anaheim. And... that's the scenario that Verbeek figured would be great for a zero experience NHL head coach?

Even for a young group, this team regularly looks lost and out of position. Bad transition hockey, questionable passing, hemmed in our own end for minutes at a time multiple times a game, dump and chase offensive scheme with personnel that can't support it or win puck battles, giving opposing offensive players unlimited time and space to waltz past our blue line. Trying to build some grinding, defensive minded identity with a bunch of young and offensively creative finesse players.

It just doesn't seem like Cronin has the skillset to adapt his systems to different kinds of personnel, but rather has this "hardnosed" style of play that he wants to mold players into. Yes, this is an extremely young team and they're going to look like shit a lot of the time. But we should be seeing more flashes of skill and future potential than we have been with the talent on the roster.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Theoretically that's what our assistant coaches/player development guys are for, right? TBH that makes losing Getz sting even more.
Based on Verbeek's comments after hiring Cronin I would say no. Cronin was praised for his ability to teach and work with kids. If the HC was not expected to shoulder a huge part of that responsibility then we really missed the boat in hiring such an inexperienced NHL coach, especially at his age.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
This has always been my biggest criticism around the Cronin hire.

We have one of the greenest, most inexperienced teams in the league with a huge lack of outspoken veteran leadership. Hell, look how long it took to finally throw the C on someone because Fowler isn't leadership quality and everyone else on the roster is either a literal child or a misfit toy from another team that we had to overpay to drag to Anaheim. And... that's the scenario that Verbeek figured would be great for a zero experience NHL head coach?

Even for a young group, this team regularly looks lost and out of position. Bad transition hockey, questionable passing, hemmed in our own end for minutes at a time multiple times a game, dump and chase offensive scheme with personnel that can't support it or win puck battles, giving opposing offensive players unlimited time and space to waltz past our blue line. Trying to build some grinding, defensive minded identity with a bunch of young and offensively creative finesse players.

It just doesn't seem like Cronin has the skillset to adapt his systems to different kinds of personnel, but rather has this "hardnosed" style of play that he wants to mold players into. Yes, this is an extremely young team and they're going to look like shit a lot of the time. But we should be seeing more flashes of skill and future potential than we have been with the talent on the roster.
The least charitable explanation is narcissism on Verbeek’s part. He wants hockey players who played like he did, he wants a coach who talks like he does, about the things he likes, in the ways that he likes them. That’s maybe why you don’t hire a nobody on the basis of a bromance formed over a couple hours in a hotel room. Hell they even dress and groom alike and they’re roughly the same age. I don’t know if that’s it but you can tell that story.

And either way, so far there’s not a ton of evidence that Cronin can adapt, as everyone (including the man himself) has pointed out. Maybe it’s true that it’ll “click” and our skill-first players will see the light that hard-nosed defense = more possession time = more opportunity to use their skill. Even wrongheaded ideas can turn out for the best sometimes. We’ll find out as soon as this year!

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
The least charitable explanation is narcissism on Verbeek’s part. He wants hockey players who played like he did, he wants a coach who talks like he does, about the things he likes, in the ways that he likes them. That’s maybe why you don’t hire a nobody on the basis of a bromance formed over a couple hours in a hotel room. Hell they even dress and groom alike and they’re roughly the same age. I don’t know if that’s it but you can tell that story.

And either way, so far there’s not a ton of evidence that Cronin can adapt, as everyone (including the man himself) has pointed out. Maybe it’s true that it’ll “click” and our skill-first players will see the light that hard-nosed defense = more possession time = more opportunity to use their skill. Even wrongheaded ideas can turn out for the best sometimes. We’ll find out as soon as this year!
I don't think the man defensive system is helping matters either. I'm assuming the theory is that because a lot of of our young players have good speed and edge control they can stick like glue to the best forwards in the world, but whatever we've been doing either hasn't clicked yet or just flat out doesn't work with this group of players for whatever number of reasons.

All it takes is seemingly one guy to lose their man and he practically dances undefended into the goal crease while we lose all structure and the panicky fire drill begins. Which leads to us constantly chasing the play, getting gassed, and taking stupid hooking/holding/slashing/interference/etc. penalties five times a game.

Anyways, I digress. It's been two games on a weird road back to back to start the season, and I'm sure at least some of our roster is under the weather. But our core players are mostly healthy and I'm expecting some tangible progress in the coming months. If our offense/special teams look this inept by December, Verbeek is going to have some decisions to make.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Anyways, I digress. It's been two games on a weird road back to back to start the season, and I'm sure at least some of our roster is under the weather. But our core players are mostly healthy and I'm expecting some tangible progress in the coming months. If our offense/special teams look this inept by December, Verbeek is going to have some decisions to make.
I'm certainly on board with hoping things improve as the season moves on. It's way too early to give up on them. But if it doesn't, you know we will not fire the coach in mid season. I'd even be worried Cronin might have a 3 year deal or a club option for a 3rd year (like Eakins had) that PV would want to exercise. If the team and/or the players individually don't show improvement this year, it is imperative we make a change at the end of the season. We cannot afford to have this much young talent not develop well.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Bruce loves coaching and by all accounts enjoyed his time with the Ducks. IMO it's every bit as conceivable that he would've wanted the job as it is that he wouldn't.

His most recent HC job acceptance was taking over an 8-15-2 Canucks team. I don't think he's the type who necessarily holds out for opportunities with contending teams.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I'm certainly on board with hoping things improve as the season moves on. It's way too early to give up on them. But if it doesn't, you know we will not fire the coach in mid season. I'd even be worried Cronin might have a 3 year deal or a club option for a 3rd year (like Eakins had) that PV would want to exercise. If the team and/or the players individually don't show improvement this year, it is imperative we make a change at the end of the season. We cannot afford to have this much young talent not develop well.
Yeah, I think a good barometer will be how players like McTavish/Zegras are doing halfway through the year rather than heaping expectations on guys like Cutter/Carlsson.

That duo is at the point where they should be able to carry more of the offensive load coming into D+4/D+5 seasons as high end first round talent. If their point totals and offensive potential regress as they continue to mold themselves into Cronin's system, something definitely needs to be shaken up (although McTavish was on a good pace last year before his back problems).

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I don't understand how Verbeek was lead to believe that this guy could hack it as an NHL coach. Prospects aside and wanting them to do well, the on-ice product leaves a lot to be desired.

Should have hire Bruce B...

He was arguably the best coach this team ever had. I long for those days!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sure, but the question wasn't whether he wants to coach, but why he would want to coach here.
Then I guess what I should have said is "What indication does anyone have that BB would take this job?" Because he seems perfectly fine not coaching and I can't imagine taking over the worst team in the league is an appealing idea for anyone who doesn't just seriously want an NHL head coaching job

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Then I guess what I should have said is "What indication does anyone have that BB would take this job?" Because he seems perfectly fine not coaching and I can't imagine taking over the worst team in the league is an appealing idea for anyone who doesn't just seriously want an NHL head coaching job
Well he hadn’t really indicated that he would take any coaching job, even with a good team. He just hasn’t said much of anything to my knowledge for some time.

For me l, I guess when thinking about Bruce this idea of him waiting for opportunities only with good teams isn’t as compelling as it’d be for someone like Gallant or Deboer for example. Bruce took over a destitute Canucks team in his last stint as a HC. Hell when he came to Anaheim, he chose to come to a team that was a complete mess. Basically if he was in fact open to a new job, it wouldn’t surprise me whatsoever if he would’ve been interested in the opportunity and accepted a job here again.

Frosted Tips

Zegras for president
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Wasnt Cronin always supposed to be a stop-gap solution untill McIlvane got ready to take the jump up?
Stop-gap I think for sure. McIlvane is/was probably one of the long term candidates but I'm sure all options will be looked at regardless of how McIlvane does in SD. Or at least I'd hope so.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't think the man defensive system is helping matters either. I'm assuming the theory is that because a lot of of our young players have good speed and edge control they can stick like glue to the best forwards in the world, but whatever we've been doing either hasn't clicked yet or just flat out doesn't work with this group of players for whatever number of reasons.

All it takes is seemingly one guy to lose their man and he practically dances undefended into the goal crease while we lose all structure and the panicky fire drill begins. Which leads to us constantly chasing the play, getting gassed, and taking stupid hooking/holding/slashing/interference/etc. penalties five times a game.

I feel like they’ve backed off of the strict man on man D. At least they don’t seem to get skated to death in their own zone, through two games anyway. Obviously there’ve been some bad shifts but I feel like that’s more from turnovers.

Anyway like you said, hard to identify anything as a trend this early. And going from Henrique/Silfverberg to Fabbri/Cutter is going to look like a downgrade, at least until they get their feet under them.

Reactions: Frosted Tips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad