Speculation: 2024-25 Coaching/Management/Ownership

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Sounds like a good hire.

Good to get a younger guy who's recently been in the league and is more relatable to the modern day player.
If he can help our power play, I'm all for it. Anaheim will not achieve Verbeek's goal of competing for the playoffs next season if it doesn't address its PP.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The two are barely related. Coaching is very different than playing. There are guys with fantastic minds and communication skills who did not have the physical skills to match. And the converse is true as well - there are plenty of players who could play the game at the highest level, but just don't do well at Xs and Os, or at teaching concepts to other players.
I totally get that for a head coach, but I feel like a PP coach would be different. Like I wonder how many times Clune sat in on a PP meeting even though he probably never played on the unit. I have no doubt you can get by as a head coach by just being a motivator/manager, but I would think a PP coach would need to have a better understanding of details and systems to get it to function. I could be wrong though.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I totally get that for a head coach, but I feel like a PP coach would be different. Like I wonder how many times Clune sat in on a PP meeting even though he probably never played on the unit. I have no doubt you can get by as a head coach by just being a motivator/manager, but I would think a PP coach would need to have a better understanding of details and systems to get it to function. I could be wrong though.
With all due respect, I think you've got it backwards. I think it's difficult (certainly not impossible) to be a head coach without having played at a high level because you need to have the ability to motivate players and get them all moving toward the same team-oriented goals. It's a lot easier to do that when you can say that you played and succeeded at a high level. There's a built-in respect there.

Power play execution has very little to do with egos and motivation, and everything to do with player evaluation and play design, so it's easier for a brilliant thinker/communicator who didn't play at a high level. If you can identify players' strengths, put them in the right positions, and create a strategy of attack, you can succeed as a power play coach. And most of that can be done through video analysis and with a sharp mind.

BringBackTheIceman

Mar 24, 2013
I’m sure he was in meetings when he was running the Marlies power play and understands details and systems

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I’m obviously a total outsider to the coaching profession but I would imagine that a player who is inclined to go into coaching would probably use their bench warming time to assess their offensive systems and teammates and kind of try to build their repertoire if they know that they have to work in their post playing career

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
With all due respect, I think you've got it backwards. I think it's difficult (certainly not impossible) to be a head coach without having played at a high level because you need to have the ability to motivate players and get them all moving toward the same team-oriented goals. It's a lot easier to do that when you can say that you played and succeeded at a high level. There's a built-in respect there.
Neither of the head coaches in the Stanley Cup Finals played pro hockey. And DeBoer (DAL) and Laviolette (NYR) didn't make it very far either.

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
These coaches who weren’t great players(which is pretty much all of them) don’t get by on being motivators and managers, they usually do well because they understand the game extremely well and perhaps more importantly can convey that knowledge onto the players. Same as special teams coaches, just because they didn’t have the skills to be on a pro powerplay doesn’t mean they don’t understand it. Spencer Carbery was an ECHL tough guy and parlayed being a great PP coach into the Capitals top job, for example.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
If they were related, then Gretzky would also be the GOAT coach of all time.
Also compare it to another sport. In baseball, the best hitting coaches are mostly guys you've never heard of.

Those who are exceptional at playing the game are usually guys with a ton of talent, to the point where the game came easy for them. The guys who had to scratch and claw and try to find every edge just to get where they did are more likely to understand the technical aspects of the game.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Star players rarely make good coaches, the game comes easier to them than the average player. I think it was Magic Johnson that said how frustrated he was trying to coach. He'd see plays he knew he could easily make but other guys couldn't see it. There are exceptions, but the star players that are good coaches tend to be more hard working, physical guys who tend to be good defensively or were role players.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
David Carle would be an interesting future coaching target. I think it will eventually happen.

I wonder where Federov ends up coaching this year…

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
The two are barely related. Coaching is very different than playing. There are guys with fantastic minds and communication skills who did not have the physical skills to match. And the converse is true as well - there are plenty of players who could play the game at the highest level, but just don't do well at Xs and Os, or at teaching concepts to other players.
This. Good players often make crap coaches (see Gretzky).
None of us have played professional hockey but it doesn't mean we can't identify that the Ducks PP is absolute shite

Reactions: lwvs84

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m starting to feel like we all need to have a long term secondary team to root for, maybe even the Kings (but probably an original 6 American team like the Bruins). Its like being a Clippers or Angels fan but knowing that the Lakers and Dodgers are teams that are committed to winning and not just their bottom line, whereas the Clippers and Angels have the most dysfunctional owners and management.

It was a real miracle to have won our first cup. We really need to honor Burke with a statue for bringing a winning expectation and mindset. He recruited stars and free agents and wasn’t scared of making moves to make progress. I’m not sure when we will have that leadership again.

BringBackTheIceman

Mar 24, 2013
I’m starting to feel like we all need to have a long term secondary team to root for, maybe even the Kings (but probably an original 6 American team like the Bruins). Its like being a Clippers or Angels fan but knowing that the Lakers and Dodgers are teams that are committed to winning and not just their bottom line, whereas the Clippers and Angels have the most dysfunctional owners and management.

It was a real miracle to have won our first cup. We really need to honor Burke with a statue for bringing a winning expectation and mindset. He recruited stars and free agents and wasn’t scared of making moves to make progress. I’m not sure when we will have that leadership again.
You're free to do whatever you'd like but I'd probably step away from the ledge for a bit. Also the Clippers ownership is 1000x better than the Lakers ownership currently.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

You have fun with that

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Lakers are committed to winning??

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Dude…

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

Brother the kings haven’t won a series since 2014

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
When I saw this thread had updates, I knew it was going to be interesting but holy crap.

This team is no where near where Burkes teams were and it's DAY 1 of free agency.

We're talking about missing out on horrible contracts for top guys and then depth forwards. Few guys could have fit the bill but out of the non-horrid contacts, those guys aren't turning us into a playoff team.

Let the front office figure it out. Save the freakouts for when camp is starting. We don't know what trades are down the road, or what prospects they might promote.

We will likely look back of some of these deals and be thankful we didn't get stuck with those contracts. Relax.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Bruins fans are great on hfboards, I’ve joined them for the playoffs the last few years and chat in their discord group.

Ducksforcup

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

I mean you do you, but it's only been one day of free agency so far.

If the Ducks offered big money to Stamkos and Marshy, then I wonder what Plan B is. Will be interesting to see that unfold whatever it may be.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022

You're clearly looking for any excuse to stop being a Ducks fan, you complain about every little thing they do or do not do so why not just become a Kings fan? If you love the Kings and what they're doing so much go support them. No one is stopping you, we don't all share the same turbo-doomer outlook on this teams future that would require us to seek out second teams like some fair-weather bozo (no offense to the people with multiple teams on here).

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

You're getting serious pushback, but nothing wrong with latching into another team while the Ducks sort their shit out. I was cheering for the Oil in the playoffs but as soon as the regular season starts again then it's back to:
Ducks

Everyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad