Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Still lucky the player he wanted was on the board. Imagine the team that had Sennecke high on their list and poof, gone early. Stating Bob's list around the 24th pick isn't a valid argument. It's an aggregate of a dozen different views where one of them could've had him at 30th while another had him at 15th.

You can argue over this all you want, but I'm simply taking what management has said. You're acting as if there was zero chance someone would've taken him earlier when he could've very well have been taken earlier.

Again, you can say that for most players in the draft.

Was every other team who had picks around 21 also lucky? I'm sure they all got one of the players they coveted at that position, and it is possible that the player wouldn't have been available.

Reactions: jaffy27

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Cole Caufield as a 18 years old in same league show high promising.

Michael Hage at this moment, same league and same age, show aswell high promising.

Seriously, the 2024 draft will be huge for the future of this team. Demidov and Hage will transform the forward group!!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They moved up in the draft to be in a spot where Hage could be available. I wouldn't call that luck.

Hughes is on record as saying that he was trying to move up a little higher because he didn't think that they had a good shot at getting Hage at 21......so yes, even by his own admission he got lucky.

Reactions: Redux91

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
It's actually reassuring to know Hughes is not only good at his job, but he's also lucky. He was lucky with both Demidov and Hage, and to me, that bodes well for the future. You want a GM who is also lucky.

Calculated risk, we also have no idea how many times so far those calculations were off but so far it’s worked on Hutson (picking later allowed us Beck + Hutson), Demidov, Hage

It’s cool to see behind the scenes the odds they put on it (25% on Hage)

Having Hutson, Demidov, Hage, Dach and Suzuki as players who can f***ing carry a puck in the zone and make a play.. what a future dynamic.

Better than just having Scott Gomez :laugh:

Sorry to ruin your Sunday morning

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hughes is on record as saying that he was trying to move up a little higher because he didn't think that they had a good shot at getting Hage at 21......so yes, even by his own admission he got lucky.
The only luck was the Kings allowing us to move up to 21…all 20 teams drafting 1-20 had dozens of scouts, thousand of hours, hundreds of days and millions of dollars to figure out who they wanted….it wasn’t late rounds picks where it’s almost impossible to project, they all had plenty of time to pick who they wanted at an early stage of the draft and here we are with what is looking like a top 10 pick in a redraft.

Well done Bobrov and co.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Calculated risk, we also have no idea how many times so far those calculations were off but so far it’s worked on Hutson (picking later allowed us Beck + Hutson), Demidov, Hage

It’s cool to see behind the scenes the odds they put on it (25% on Hage)
Going by the draft videos since 2022, this Habs scouting team is very good at guessing in what range their players are going to be taken on the board.

And Hughes tries to climb up to get his man (he tried for Hutson and Hage).

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
In fact we were way more lucky to get Demidov at 5 than Hage at 21st...

Before the draft a buddy asked me what are the odds that Chicago will draft Demidov.

I answered 100%. !! A great winger for Bedard...for 15 years......no brainer

There was some good chances that Hage would be avalaible at 21....Demidov at 5...nah.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The only luck was the Kings allowing us to move up to 21…all 20 teams drafting 1-20 had dozens of scouts, thousand of hours, hundreds of days and millions of dollars to figure out who they wanted….it wasn’t late rounds picks where it’s almost impossible to project, they all had plenty of time to pick who they wanted at an early stage of the draft and here we are with what is looking like a top 10 pick in a redraft.

Well done Bobrov and co.
It absolutely is luck when you don't know how other team's have players ranked and your staff believes that Hage was a mid teen pick and are being correctly justified as such so far.

I will try and find the clip but I think Hughes may have even used the word "lucky" when talking about Hage falling to to them. By your statement we also were not lucky to have Demidov fall to us or Caufield fall to us.

I know what you are saying and I agree with much of it but from the Canadiens perspective they admittedly tried to do more to move up to specifically get Hage as they would need less luck to draft him......they failed to do so and were ecstatic and surprised to still see him there. From their evaluation of him they felt other teams would see the same things and rank him considerably higher as they did. So.....objectively, they needed to be lucky to be able to draft him based on their evaluation of him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad