Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People respond to posts with "he", and then respond to those posts with "he", and then respond to those posts with "he", and the it's no longer obvious who people are talking about.

I had to back a bit. The player being crapped on is Joshua Roy.
I think one person was talking about Hage with a "he" in the middle of all that at some point and people responded to it with "he" but meaning Roy. It's all very confusing. :laugh:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I think one person was talking about Hage with a "he" in the middle of all that at some point and people responded to it with "he" but meaning Roy. It's all very confusing. :laugh:
Happens in a lot of threads, lots of tangents and it seems clear who you’re talking about when you post.

Hage is having a really good start.

Roy will be fine, and better with better players around him. The groupthink dumping on guys is one of the irritants on this board.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Mesar is a small soft winger who is invisible most of the game. Even if Hage had 0 point but played like he has during the first 2 games he would still look more promising. You know actual skill matter more than point total in lower league. Like being 6"1, good shot, good vision and have you seen his zone entry? Mesar never looked that promising. Also scoring in the Ncaa is harder than the ohl so his 4 points in 2 game are more impressive
Invisible most of the game. Scores 4 points.

The thought process to come to that conclusion is, quite frankly, the stupidest thing I've ever read.

I don't care if you think he's a good prospect, a bad prospect, or whatever. That's your choice. But your original statement was false. All I'm saying is don't lie to make a point.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He's a zone entry demon. Still baffled he fell to 21st, but I won't complain lol!

I think that that one specific attribute, the ability to gain the zone with possession, has become one of the most important ones for our scouting staff since new management took over three years ago. At least when it comes to high picks.

And as a matter of fact, if we look at all of our picks in the top two rounds in that span, basically all the players we've drafted do share that common trait.

In 2022, we've gotten Slaf, Mesar, Beck, and Hutson as first or second-round picks, all guys who can enter the zone with possession either by sustaining checks with size and/or using speed/misdirection to squeak through holes in coverage.

Reinbacher in 2023, although a lot less "puck-dependent", is very good at "legging-it out" if he has no other option and entering into the zone with possession of the puck so he also fits that mold.

Then we come to 2024, with both Demidov and Hage also exhibiting that same quality.

So yeah, I really don't know if our scouting staff will keep that same emphasis in the future, or if they might not change that gameplan a little bit with future picks.

But since rush offense has become one of the main ways to produce 5-on-5 offense at the NHL level with the changes to the defensive systems and less reliance on zone defense vs. man-to-man, I think that maybe our scouting staff is right in targetting that specific skillset in the players that they invest heavy draft capital on.

As for Hage himself, well, I liked his first game better from a purely defensive and off-puck perspective but he was still more than fine in this one. Just, he really needs to get stronger and bulk up out there and it was especially evident in his last game.

Last edited:

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Invisible most of the game. Scores 4 points.

The thought process to come to that conclusion is, quite frankly, the stupidest thing I've ever read.

I don't care if you think he's a good prospect, a bad prospect, or whatever. That's your choice. But your original statement was false. All I'm saying is don't lie to make a point.
Look like reading is not your strongest suit. I described Mesar as a player. So yes i would describe him as a small invisible soft winger who can make a decent pass here and here but nothing to write home about. 4 points in a 2 games span is nothing for a first rounder in the ohl you seem wildy focused on that. Again Hage could have 0 point right now (but playing the same way and creating the same scoring chance) during his first 2 games and that would still be more impresive than Mesar. I know its hard to stop only stat watching but try watching games sometime?

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Look like reading is not your strongest suit. I described Mesar as a player. So yes i would describe him as a small invisible soft winger who can make a decent pass here and here but nothing to write home about. 4 points in a 2 games span is nothing for a first rounder in the ohl you seem wildy focused on that. Again Hage could have 0 point right now (but playing the same way and creating the same scoring chance) during his first 2 games and that would still be more impresive than Mesar. I know its hard to stop only stat watching but try watching games sometime?
I stopped reading at the first period because I realized you were lying again. Not really worth either of our times if you can't tell the truth. It's impossible to debate with someone who says something, which you counter, and then they lie about what they said initially.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He looks like a NCAA veteran out there

Can't wait to see him on the team.

Much faster than Nick though

He does look like he's played at least a year there. He "gets" hockey and has definitely been taught well. High hockey IQ and his technical skills are pro like, meaning efficient, with body position to maximize strength, playmaking, etc. I think people will be surprised how well he responds to physical play. Someone tried to clobber him at rookie camp and man did he turn his game up a notch afterwards. I was there live, very close to the action (could see his facial expressions and all lol) and loved the way he handled it.

His skating is excellent too, like you said. It took Suzuki a few years to be a powerful skater, Hage is already one and he still has a lot of room to grow with his frame.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Still baffle me that we had a management team that will trade to move up to 21st to get a better shot as this talent .
We are not used to that in mtl, we simply used to oh he was gone when we were drafting
It's more amazing that he was available there, they were sure they would need to climb a bit more to get him.

Reactions: dralaf

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think that that one specific attribute, the ability to gain the zone with possession, has become one of the most important ones for our scouting staff since new management took over three years ago. At least when it comes to high picks.

And as a matter of fact, if we look at all of our picks in the top two rounds in that span, basically all the players we've drafted do share that common trait.

In 2022, we've gotten Slaf, Mesar, Beck, and Hutson as first or second-round picks, all guys who can enter the zone with possession either by sustaining checks with size and/or using speed/misdirection to squeak through holes in coverage.

Reinbacher in 2023, although a lot less "puck-dependent", is very good at "legging-it out" if he has no other option and entering into the zone with possession of the puck so he also fits that mold.

Then we come to 2024, with both Demidov and Hage also exhibiting that same quality.

So yeah, I really don't know if our scouting staff will keep that same emphasis in the future, or if they might not change that gameplan a little bit with future picks.

But since rush offense has become one of the main ways to produce 5-on-5 offense at the NHL level with the changes to the defensive systems and less reliance on zone defense vs. man-to-man, I think that maybe our scouting staff is right in targetting that specific skillset in the players that they invest heavy draft capital on.

As for Hage himself, well, I liked his first game better from a purely defensive and off-puck perspective but he was still more than fine in this one. Just, he really needs to get stronger and bulk up out there and it was especially evident in his last game.
Once again, the difference of new management and new coaching. No chance in my book MB trades up to get him and quite frankly, I dont see us drafting him under MB and MT would have hated him. OMG, Hage ragging the puck up ice would have had MT jumping on the ice to tackle the kid, same with Hutson and Reinbacher. We played a non possession game for decades.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I must preface again by, I think Hage is an absolute stud and a potential first liner for us, and even if he doesn't pan out as such, the floor is very high.

With that said, I'm still unsure people should label the trade a success.
Greentree, Vanacker, Hemming and others are looking just as good as him, and players around 57 are also looking fantastic. Think of Battaglia, Massé, Marques and others are all very impressive.

Then there's the potential of him falling to the Habs original pick himself.

Sorry, cold shower for the Hugonites.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I must preface again by, I think Hage is an absolute stud and a potential first liner for us, and even if he doesn't pan out as such, the floor is very high.

Greentree, Vanacker, Hemming and others are looking just as good as him, and players around 57 are also looking fantastic. Think of Battaglia, Massé, Marques and others are all very impressive.

How many of them does it as a freshman in the NCAA, though?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

There's wisdom in what you say.

The moving up in the draft in what at the time was a bit of a vacuum of not knowing who would be available when they picked was a bit puzzling. Sometimes things just work out. Hage has been nothing but impressive in the Prospects Tournament and his first two games at Michigan. His skating ability and offensive vision are eye opening. I earlier stated that Hage reminds me of a bigger Barzal.

Of the three other players you mentioned, I can only comment positively on Vannacker. I never was impressed with Greentree as he has heavy feet which I think will limit his ultimate effectiveness at the NHL level and I haven't seen enough of Hemming to advance an informed opinion. But in my following of Florian Xhekaj's progress with the Bulldogs, I had a chance to watch Vannacker play at least 30 games.

Before the draft, I stated that Vannacker was one of very few players that I would move up for . Vannacker is fast and highly skilled and projects to be a top six forward. I think a lot of teams were sleeping on this player and the fact that he fell near to the bottom of the first round confirmed my belief. The fact that Vannacker was able to be so effective while playing with a damaged shoulder that needed surgical repair made his performance even more impressive.

I think Hughes' failure to again move up in the draft to be in a position to take Vannacker was a missed opportunity. But the fortuitous opportunity to be in a position to draft both Demidov and Hage has a real chance to make the 2024 draft a franchise altering event.

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I get that those were some of the guys you particularly liked from the 2024 draft but this just feels like the prospect equivalent of Dreger posting to me. Every year at the deadline Dreger will just cover every possibility so he's always "right" by saying something like:

"Team A is looking to trade players X, Y, and Z, they'd like picks and prospects but they're also open to making a hockey trade if the fit makes sense. They haven't ruled out younger roster players or even taking back some veterans with term, but they won't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade and they also haven't ruled out signing any of these players. They're not close on anything right now but all of that could all change with one phone call"

Casting a wide net to list a bunch of players who were available around the 26th and 57th overall picks and then retroactively picking the best one of each group is extremely likely to produce two players that will be more valuable than Hage alone, but that's not how the draft works. You get to pick two individual 18 year old players on draft day, you don't get to pick two out of a list of six or seven 21 year olds three years from now when we know which ones pan out and which ones don't and have full retroactive knowledge of how the draft board played out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad