GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wow what a shocker.

This guy makes Malkin look like an ironman.

One of the biggest reasons I hope they move on when they can. Dude seems like he averages like 55 games a year.

I honestly don't care about any injuries this year. This year is about letting the young players get a taste so the more positions we open up gives players like Puustinen, McG, Poulin etc no excuse to not get a look.

Cue Ando and Gruden getting the call ups.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What purpose does that serve them? They end up with a player sitting at home wasting away and still get even less crap for him.

Let's not forget McGroarty wasn't even the Pegs #1 prospect, but Yager was clearly the Pens. The Peg could afford to wait if they wanted to, but Yager brings a better much more desirable center attribute timeline for them. (the Pens as well) McGroarty is obviously seen as a winger both there and here. So that ups the value a good bit in Yager's favor. So being close in NHL production isn't the same. Center>>>wing every single day. Center's are hard to come by and they just gave up a good potential one.

McGroarty would have to be at Jake levels to wash away Yager's center attribute. A mere 20G/20A - 40/50 point winger isn't going to cut it if Yager is remotely the same to better at center. For one, you can move forward with Yager as one of the top 2 center positions, McGroarty would need such a center in a few years they likely won't have with all of them aging out. Which brings that position all the more important moving forward. Openings both at 2C/3C. 1C a mere year after that.

McGroarty would seriously have to fast track to be anything remotely useful in Sid/Geno's final years together. Right now, that's 2 seasons.

Right now people are already slotting him as Sid's LW this year. That's just not how it works normally.

If McGroarty ends up a 60 point top-6 LW while Yager becomes Brandon Sutter 2.0 (which is an absolute possibility), the Penguins clearly won the trade.

The McGroarty-Yager trade is simple: the Penguins simply thought McGroarty was a better prospect than Yager. That's all there is to it. And considering their rankings, it's hard to say that they're wrong with that analysis. The two are on the same tier of prospects but McGroarty is clearly ranked higher according to pretty much every prospect ranking I've seen.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I honestly don't care about any injuries this year. This year is about letting the young players get a taste so the more positions we open up gives players like Puustinen, McG, Poulin etc no excuse to not get a look.

Cue Ando and Gruden getting the call ups.

Oh no I agree... it's just a major, major factor re: Rust. He's mostly-good when he's healthy. But that "when" part of the equation is the rub.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
They will never admit it and will speak to the opposite— but they clearly didn’t love what they saw from Yager over the course of a year and liked McGroarty more.
You could be right about that.

BUT, if they did not like Yager's WHL playoff and Mem Cup performance last spring, then they are completely useless as talent evaluators.

That kid brought it and played a complete game under pressure. He did what you want all of your prospects to do.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

BUT, if they did not like Yager's WHL playoff and Mem Cup performance last spring, then they are completely useless as talent evaluators.

That kid brought it and played a complete game under pressure. He did what you want all of your prospects to do.

And McGroarty was the captain of team USA at the U-20s and absolutely dominated there.

This isn't a "they think Yager stinks" situation, it's a "they like McGroarty more" situation.

Reactions: Ulf5

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I guess. He was good, but I never got the feeling he was "the guy".

Matyechuk blew my mind in those playoffs.

If we are looking at their performances as prospects, I'd say McG's run in the NCAA was more impressive than Yager's despite them both being on stacked rosters.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
And not to keep going on about Yager/McGroarty or bag on Poulin

But since it is now clear (and I know the guy who drafted him was two GMs ago) they don’t love and never loved Poulin, they should’ve traded him in ‘20 after he blew apart the Q. Whether for a prospect or an NHL player.

Hence why I respect the idea of the Yager for McGroarty move. Instead of convincing yourself things will improve with time you make an actionable move based on todays facts.
Sure. I agree in part with this. But now we absolutely positively need to draft a high-upside center in Round 1 this year. And we might need to double down in 2026, too.

We cannot count on Ponomarev and Broz alone to develop into top-six centers.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think there is some PTSD with prospects lately

McGroarty beat out his peers and was selected by coaches/managers to make the NTDP. Then beat other top guys in the country his age for ice time and a big role there and scored. Was selected for national teams and beat other top guys out for top roles again. Jets who draft really well saw him as a lottery pick.

Again gets minutes and top roles at a blue blood program. Point per game freshman and shredded the NCAA at a blue blood program as a 19/20 year old.

Not saying he’s special or that guarantees NHL success or anything; most high picks are like that. But a ton of other GMs, coaches, team builders have loved this kids game for a long time now. So even if you mistrust this staff it’s not just the Penguins who like McGroarty, this kid is a really good prospect and it’s okay to let yourself be excited.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I’m honestly really hoping that they start the year with that McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi line. Hayes isn’t what he once was, but his track record makes me really think that line could do damage offensively.
Yeah, I’m not really interested in McG playing 10 minutes a night on L4 even though he might be great at it…I’d rather have him play on the top line and top line minutes in the A…when he shows he’s productive there, I’d then rather give him a chance in the top six on the Pens…we really need him to pan out as a top six player imo

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is assuming a fully healthy lineup (minus Lizotte), but I think I've come around to this lineup to start the year:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Beauvillier-Eller-Acciari
Glass-Puustinen

I don't particularly want Acciari in the lineup, but I think they need a 3rd PKing center with Lizotte injured. Once Lizotte gets back, bump Acciari out of the lineup and run with Lizotte-Eller-Beauvillier as the 4th line.

The idea I'd be working with is letting McGroarty, Puustinen, Glass and Puljujarvi battle for the winger spots to play with Hayes and use that 3rd line as more of a 2-way 3rd line, while the 4th line is getting the typical ultra defensive usage that Sullivan has used his 4th line in. I think adding Lizotte and Eller to that line will make it dramatically better at succeeding in that usage than what it was in the past few years with guys like Carter on it. The 3rd line should be able to add some threat offensively while also being sufficient defensively as well. McGroarty and Puljujarvi should be getting first dibs at that spot but they shouldn't be locked into the spot.

I think I'd also extend that "first dibs but not locked in" to Beauvillier on L4 as well. If he's not playing well there, I think scratching him for either Glass or Puustinen is totally valid as well. Have 3 spots in the bottom-6 locked up (Hayes 3C and Lizotte-Eller on the 4th line) and have the best performers play in the remaining spots. I think you can argue that McGroarty-Hayes-Beauvillier and Lizotte-Eller-Puljujarvi is a better set up bottom-6 anyway, so I don't want to purely lock Beauvillier in on L4.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

He has always looked solid. I never have gone “wow this kid might be a stud” in my time watching. He is a good prospect though.

I never loved the selection of Yager, said McG falling to us in 2022 was the dream scenario, and said I’d do the trade before it ever materialized so tbh I’m the wrong guy to really care about this. Not saying I’ll end up right but I’m not that big of a fan of Yager.

I think he projects as a vanilla middle 6ish NHL regular who scores some goals here and there. He’s slightly below avg size, slightly above average skater, average hands… good shot and tries hard to be responsible but I don’t see IQ or instincts or aggression to cover for his lack of high end tools.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
What purpose does that serve them? They end up with a player sitting at home wasting away and still get even less crap for him.

Let's not forget McGroarty wasn't even the Pegs #1 prospect, but Yager was clearly the Pens. The Peg could afford to wait if they wanted to, but Yager brings a better much more desirable center attribute timeline for them. (the Pens as well) McGroarty is obviously seen as a winger both there and here. So that ups the value a good bit in Yager's favor. So being close in NHL production isn't the same. Center>>>wing every single day. Center's are hard to come by and they just gave up a good potential one.

McGroarty would have to be at Jake levels to wash away Yager's center attribute. A mere 20G/20A - 40/50 point winger isn't going to cut it if Yager is remotely the same to better at center. For one, you can move forward with Yager as one of the top 2 center positions, McGroarty would need such a center in a few years they likely won't have with all of them aging out. Which brings that position all the more important moving forward. Openings both at 2C/3C. 1C a mere year after that.

McGroarty would seriously have to fast track to be anything remotely useful in Sid/Geno's final years together. Right now, that's 2 seasons.

Right now people are already slotting him as Sid's LW this year. That's just not how it works normally.
Didn't he have 2 years of Michigan eligibility left?
And chances are neither will make any difference before Sid or Geno hang em up. And they both project as complementary pieces.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Injuries making the logjam a little easier to sort out. Brunicke might stay up a few games if Karlsson isn't ready to go. Ponomarev will go down because he's hurt. Lizotte might go on IR to start the year, leaving a spot for Puustinen.
This is assuming a fully healthy lineup (minus Lizotte), but I think I've come around to this lineup to start the year:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Beauvillier-Eller-Acciari
Glass-Puustinen

I don't particularly want Acciari in the lineup, but I think they need a 3rd PKing center with Lizotte injured. Once Lizotte gets back, bump Acciari out of the lineup and run with Lizotte-Eller-Beauvillier as the 4th line.

The idea I'd be working with is letting McGroarty, Puustinen, Glass and Puljujarvi battle for the winger spots to play with Hayes and use that 3rd line as more of a 2-way 3rd line, while the 4th line is getting the typical ultra defensive usage that Sullivan has used his 4th line in. I think adding Lizotte and Eller to that line will make it dramatically better at succeeding in that usage than what it was in the past few years with guys like Carter on it. The 3rd line should be able to add some threat offensively while also being sufficient defensively as well. McGroarty and Puljujarvi should be getting first dibs at that spot but they shouldn't be locked into the spot.

I think I'd also extend that "first dibs but not locked in" to Beauvillier on L4 as well. If he's not playing well there, I think scratching him for either Glass or Puustinen is totally valid as well. Have 3 spots in the bottom-6 locked up (Hayes 3C and Lizotte-Eller on the 4th line) and have the best performers play in the remaining spots. I think you can argue that McGroarty-Hayes-Beauvillier and Lizotte-Eller-Puljujarvi is a better set up bottom-6 anyway, so I don't want to purely lock Beauvillier in on L4.
This looks about right. I think it depends on how long Lizotte is out. If he's expected back soon, I'd think they would be running Hayes - Eller - Pulju on the third, Beau - Glass - Acciari on the 4th so Lizotte can replace Glass as soon as he gets back in.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'm sure that's partly true. But the part that seems to get glossed over is that Winnipeg could've held McGroarty's rights for quite awhile yet. 2 years I believe? A half-assed offer wasn't going to get it done.
Another thing I think Dubas prefers in McGroarty is a more well-rounded game.
He's already a proven leader as captain on multiple teams. And he's a more physical player that will definitely get his nose dirty.
If NHL production turns out close, McGroarty will likely always have the edge.
not so sure about that part, have you watched his defensive game at all? his skating starts to fall apart when he needs to react quickly. he might get by with it in the minors but it won't work in the nhl. yager has his own problems but lets not think McGro's the next coming of ovenchicken.
edit; just go back and watch him trying to penalty kill the last game,

Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Emp that sounds nice based on today but idk if playing with Hayes-Poolparty with how Sully deploys his bottom 6 vs top line AHL is best for McGroarty’s development

And when I say idk, I mean I don’t know, not saying I necessarily disagree. Bc the kid looks like he belongs. just worried about his confidence level if those two are pumpkins and he has 2 pts in 13 games. Despite him looking great Puljujarvi could very well be a nothing burger by Nov/Dec. Rooting for that not to be the case.

Maybe figure out what works well in terms of F combos then bring him into the mix? Again I’m not sure what the play should be here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Emp that sounds nice based on today but idk if playing with Hayes-Poolparty with how Sully deploys his bottom 6 vs top line AHL is best for McGroarty’s development

And when I say idk, I mean I don’t know, not saying I necessarily disagree. Bc the kid looks like he belongs. just worried about his confidence level if those two are pumpkins and he has 2 pts in 13 games. Despite him looking great Puljujarvi could very well be a nothing burger by Nov/Dec. Rooting for that not to be the case.

Maybe figure out what works well in terms of F combos then bring him into the mix? Again I’m not sure what the play should be here.

Yeah that's valid, it's a big reason why I picked him to start with Hayes rather than Eller. Even with Hayes slowing down a ton, I figure that he has more natural offensive talent than Eller. I also think there's a fairly easy argument to make that Beauvillier on L3 and Puljujarvi on L4 could make more sense as well, that should give that 3rd line more offensive help.

I don't want McGroarty to be up with pure defensive guys like Acciari or Lizotte, but I think there is a combination there that could make a lot of sense. You'd hope that Puustinen figures out his shit because I think McGroarty-Hayes-Puustinen is the most likely 3rd line to be successful offensively. But based on the pre-season so far, I don't think Puustinen deserves to be playing above Puljujarvi.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah that's valid, it's a big reason why I picked him to start with Hayes rather than Eller. Even with Hayes slowing down a ton, I figure that he has more natural offensive talent than Eller. I also think there's a fairly easy argument to make that Beauvillier on L3 and Puljujarvi on L4 could make more sense as well, that should give that 3rd line more offensive help.

I don't want McGroarty to be up with pure defensive guys like Acciari or Lizotte, but I think there is a combination there that could make a lot of sense. You'd hope that Puustinen figures out his shit because I think McGroarty-Hayes-Puustinen is the most likely 3rd line to be successful offensively.
Yeah maybe. I’d be interested to see him play with Lizotte at C tbh. Guy kinda covers McGs biggest weakness which is transporting the puck through the NZ with possession.

Same goes for Puljujarvi, I see the logic behind that combo, but again, hard guy to trust off just preseason performance.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Seems like Rust is dinged up too.
This is why I would have moved on from his contract. He's fine when he's playing, but the problem is he's an injury prone small winger who relies on his speed to be effective. Combination of injuries and losing some of that speed and suddenly he's got very little to fall back on.

AKA "I'll give him a legitimate shot for 2 games and unless he scores a bunch of points, he's getting demoted"

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Playing CBJ’s A roster is a lot like playing Hershey lol…tonight’s roster

“This group will have their work cut out from them, the Blue Jackets are dressing an NHL-worthy roster in their final home tune up for the regular season.”

cbj.JPG

Given how good Brunicke has been I'm a little surprised he's not in the lineup. Maybe that's actually a good sign and they're already planning to keep him up?
Gonna play with the vets tomorrow night…he’s a backup tonight

Reactions: Sideline

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Deserving of it, I've been extremely happy with what Puljujarvi has shown in camp so far. I really like the Hayes-Puljujarvi C/W duo, I don't know who will be the LWer for that line but I like the combination those two offer. We've already talked about McGroarty there and I think he fits that best, but I also think Beauvillier could make sense in that role.

I guess that brings up an interesting philosophical question though. If you have a slower C/W duo like Hayes-Puljujarvi is, do you want a speedster LW to cover up the speed issues with that duo or a slower guy who can play at the same pace of that C/W duo?

Given how good Brunicke has been I'm a little surprised he's not in the lineup. Maybe that's actually a good sign and they're already planning to keep him up?

I have a feeling they'll keep Karlsson out as a precaution and just give Brunicke that spot for a 9 game trial. Works well for both Karlsson taking as much time as he needs to heal plus it rewards a young guy with a 9 game stint before going back to juniors.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad