GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The board just voted him the 4th best prospect in our system. It is and was absurd.

That poll happened too early, most people here likely never watched a second of him playing. I have him at #9

Reactions: Gurglesons

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
There is no chance in hell that you want Brunicke getting rushed to the NHL but the dude absolutely does not look like an 18 year old that was just drafted.
I think where he was drafted makes it absolutely absurd

Koivunen looks exactly like you’d expect. Y’all are an incredibly dramatic bunch.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulf5

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Brunicke is our best prospect tho which nobody guessed lol.
There is no chance in hell that you want Brunicke getting rushed to the NHL but the dude absolutely does not look like an 18 year old that was just drafted.
I dinged him on the goal the other night, but since then he's been making me shut up. He looks much more poised, moves well.

I don't think he'd be a liability with NHL minutes right now. But the best path for his development is to go and be a leader in juniors with all of this new experience under his belt.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think where he was drafted makes it absolutely absurd

Koivunen looks exactly like you’d expect. Y’all are an incredibly dramatic bunch.

Yeah it's even more weird because Brunicke was the Penguins 2nd pick in the 2nd round, you can even say that the Penguins themselves didn't think he'd look this good this early. Odd to see Howe go above Brunicke in the draft, although they were basically at the same spot.

Agree on Koivunen, it's weird that people are complaining about him. He just turned 21 and was drafted in the same year as Broz, if you thought he'd be NHL ready right now, that was just you being misinformed. He needs at least a year in WBS, just like Broz does.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Brunicke looks how you’d hope a lottery pick to look before heading back.

They need to be patient and give him 1 - 2 years in the dub tho. He hasn’t played all that much in past few seasons. Very limited role in his D-1 and injured for much of his D-0. Let him play 30+, handle the rock and be a star. He hasn’t gotten to do so yet.

I’m cool with a couple NHL games as a reward though.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think Ponomarev, Koivunen, and Poulin would all survive if they had to play NHL minutes right now. But I don't think they've earned an NHL spot, and they could all do with some minutes in the AHL for various reasons (Poulin is entirely between the ears - settle down and play his game). Broz has shown flashes but looks like he definitely needs some good AHL minutes.

I think McGroarty looks the closest of all of them because of how he plays the game, but I think his offensive game would get a big boost with some AHL minutes.

Defensively, Brunicke looks really solid. If Karlsson misses time, I'd be tempted just to keep him up and spot him two or three games with the complete understanding that he'd go back as soon as Karlsson is ready.

Pickering has been good in his own zone, invisible out of it. A full AHL season will do wonders for him.

Blomqvist has bounced back nicely from the rough game against Buffalo. I'd be OK with him getting a stretch of games due to injury, but I don't think he's quite there to be a true backup or challenge for a starting spot. Maybe midseason.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah it's even more weird because Brunicke was the Penguins 2nd pick in the 2nd round, you can even say that the Penguins themselves didn't think he'd look this good this early. Odd to see Howe go above Brunicke in the draft, although they were basically at the same spot.

Agree on Koivunen, it's weird that people are complaining about him. He just turned 21 and was drafted in the same year as Broz, if you thought he'd be NHL ready right now, that was just you being misinformed. He needs at least a year in WBS, just like Broz does.
Brunicke was drafted before Howe but it’s immaterial given the difference in their slots

Koivunen looks better than Broz IMO. He looks like a guy with smarts and hands that is in danger of being a quad A/one dimensional type if he doesn’t add a step and get stronger. Which is what I expected.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looks like last season so far...outshoot the opposition and have nothing to show for it lol. You know we can still go down from 31st in finishing lol

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Looks like last season so far...outshoot the opposition and have nothing to show for it lol. You know we can still go down from 31st in finishing lol
I remember saying last October they were bound to improve the shooting after being 30th in 2022-23.
They really made me eat my words the next year when they dropped to 31st.
So I can't rule out 32nd this year.

I thought Sid would score for sure when he went five hole on the breakaway.
Goalies know his signature move too well. I wish he'd always deke on breakaways, Kane style. When his hands go into overdrive goalies can't keep up.

Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think Ponomarev, Koivunen, and Poulin would all survive if they had to play NHL minutes right now. But I don't think they've earned an NHL spot, and they could all do with some minutes in the AHL for various reasons (Poulin is entirely between the ears - settle down and play his game). Broz has shown flashes but looks like he definitely needs some good AHL minutes.

I think McGroarty looks the closest of all of them because of how he plays the game, but I think his offensive game would get a big boost with some AHL minutes.

Defensively, Brunicke looks really solid. If Karlsson misses time, I'd be tempted just to keep him up and spot him two or three games with the complete understanding that he'd go back as soon as Karlsson is ready.

Pickering has been good in his own zone, invisible out of it. A full AHL season will do wonders for him.

Blomqvist has bounced back nicely from the rough game against Buffalo. I'd be OK with him getting a stretch of games due to injury, but I don't think he's quite there to be a true backup or challenge for a starting spot. Maybe midseason.
Pickering, Brunicke, McGroarty, Ponomarev, Koivunen all look like guys who have a chance to stick in the league with some development. Some have played better than others but no one looks insanely out of place. All need to develop but I’ve been pretty happy with what I’ve seen - so far. Some will surely stagnate but should get some NHLers from this group which hasn’t happened in a long time.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1727827330031.png

Fix it! You had a whole intermission!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Brunicke doing what I thought Karlsson would do.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad