GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pickering hasn't garnered much praise that I'm aware of, no. Then again this is really the first time he has been available for camp/preseason, yes?

Regardless I get the feeling sometimes that he was "the last guy's pick" or whatever. I was pretty impressed with his game the other day with the big boys, though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Yeah it sucks that Puustinen isn't doing anything to make Sullivan reconsider his thoughts on him. I think Sullivan is being dumb with Puustinen but Puustinen isn't doing anything to force Sullivan to change his mind.

Puustinen has absolutely been outplayed by Puljujarvi and McGroarty so far IMO. I'm not 100% on both of them being in the lineup but I have a hard time having Puustinen above either of those two right now. I'm not sure whether Beauvillier can play RW, but I'm coming more around to this bottom-6:

McGroarty-Eller-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi

I still feel that it isn't going to hurt McG to play top line AHL minutes even if it's for a few months to help him transition to thee pros instead of playing with Eller or Hayes in the bottom six.

I don't want Sullivan to turn him into some vanilla grinder. If he established himself as a offensive player getting top minutes in the A maybe he doesn't get "developed" into some "safe" third line forward too afraid to make a mistake who doesn't produce.

I'd also rather go with one heavy bottom six line and one buzz saw speedy bottom six line if Puus and McG are both WB bound.

Hayes Eller acari is the heavy line and
Three of: Liz/poolparty/beau/glass make up the other. Split their ice time pretty much 50/50.

I still think if acari gets consistent time at wing instead of center opinions on him will change, and, he becomes a player with some value at the deadline, just like Eller will have.

Eller is a guy teams like Boston and the rangers should be looking at and I could see Florida or Detroit could be a good fit for acari.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I haven't watched a second of preseason, so I'm not saying Puusy has stood out, but...

Even if he were to, what's the difference? He stood out last year when playing next to Malkin and all it got him was demoted to the 3rd line and his ice time cut significantly.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I mean Brunicke looks better than Pickering.
I think Pickering has been OK for his first camp. I just found it interesting that they're really high on Brunicke as an 18-year-old. I'd expect this kind of praise for a guy who maybe had a camp or two under his belt and was potentially taking the next step.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven't watched a second of preseason, so I'm not saying Puusy has stood out, but...

Even if he were to, what's the difference? He stood out last year when playing next to Malkin and all it got him was demoted to the 3rd line and his ice time cut significantly.

Puustinen seems like he's on the outside looking in right now and playing well in pre-season could possibly sway Sullivan. But Puustinen is doing nothing to actually push the case for him having a roster spot.

His performance last year suggests that he shouldn't be in this situation with Sullivan, but since he is, it's up to him to prove Sullivan wrong and force Sullivan's hand to give him a lineup spot. But he has absolutely not done that, at least not in the pre-season games. He's absolutely invisible out there.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pickering has to grow into his body and develop his game and body. Brunicke is already developed in his size mostly. Yes he will add size and strength but he is body seeing his body add 30 pounds.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Pickering has been OK for his first camp. I just found it interesting that they're really high on Brunicke as an 18-year-old. I'd expect this kind of praise for a guy who maybe had a camp or two under his belt and was potentially taking the next step.

I mean Brunicke looks like an NHLer and has been downright dominant. Reminds me of Marino.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Weren't you the guy who called a 55-point player a tweener yesterday? Dial down the condescension bud.
No? I said Bunting was a complimentary third wheel who's not your typical first liner. You're the one going on a crusade about how his production isn't much different than Jake's if he got the same usage.

And you wonder why people "fight" with you. You seem to like to throw jabs even when they're not necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad