GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not that I think any of the young guys except Rutger have been given a long look, but to this point none of them have exactly taken the bull by the horn either.

I don't see a problem with them garnering some experience and seasoning in the AHL. Koivunen should be given a top six role regardless of where he ends up. He's not a bottom six player.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maybe JR was onto something with just throwing away picks like candy. As long as Sullivan is here, just trade the prospects for vets that Sullivan will love and misuse
To be fair, no one picked with any of the picks we gave away (or 5 positions below them) amounted to anything except Barzel.

That's what contending teams do, the trade picks for win-now players. Every cup contender in recent memory has done that sans Carolina and they haven't won shit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Literally the most annoying thing about all this. All this talk about giving the youth a chance and wanting younger legs in the lineup, when you knew that Sullivan was going to just stack his lineup with slow vets.
Relative to the core Glass, DOC and Puju are all young players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly the whole complaint I have with the roster is really just Acciari, I flat out do not understand why he has to be playing. I don't think Poulin has performed well enough to make the NHL team and I don't really have an issue with guys like Puljujarvi and Glass getting a chance based on their performance so far. It's really just Acciari to me.

The bottom-6 plus extras that makes the most sense to me right now is:

Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi/Glass
Glass/Puljujarvi-Acciari

I don't think any of the younger guys (meaning the McGroarty, Ponomarev, Poulin and such group) have outperformed any of those bottom-6 forwards and it makes far more sense for them to be in WBS than sitting as the 13th or 14th forward. If you're running with 8 D, tell Acciari to piss off and keep the rest the same.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And relative to someone who is 5'4, any guy who is 5'8 is tall. Doesn't mean that someone who is 5'8 is actually a tall guy.
Since the core is in league with Sullivan and they have each others backs, maybe it's a problem beyond just Sullivan?

Do you really think the Core wanna break in a bunch of upstart 20-21 year olds that signify a rebuild?

It's a bit of collusion here. As long as the Dinosaurs are here these things are bound to happen.

However IF A young player REALLY shows out, they MIGHT get a shot. He better be so above the fray though, or the Dinosaurs will keep him down.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sully and the Core will hang themselves on such philosophies though as they'll plummet down the standings, once they show their ass Kyle will accelerate the youth movement and fire Sullivan! But we need to fall a bit 1st. That'll take at least one or two years. By then even the dinosaurs will lose their grip. In the mean time we'll be banking picks and prospects.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Puustinen and Puljujarvi should be playing over Acciari and Glass.

Agree on Puustinen but I'm good with either Puljujarvi or Glass playing. Glass is actually younger than Puljujarvi and there is some decent upside with him IMO.

Those two battling for the 4th line RW spot, with the other being the 13th forward, is the best setup for the forward roster to start the year.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Cody Glass scored more goals than Puustinen in less games last year.

He also has proven he can be a 30+ pt player in the NHL.

Not sure why we wouldn't at least give Glass a look.

By one. :laugh:

And had half the assists of Puustinen.

PPG:
Puustinen: .38
Glass: .32

I didn't say don't give Glass a look. I said Puustinen is the better player and should be given preference. Someone gets hurt, by all means insert Glass.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
By one. :laugh:

And had half the assists of Puustinen.

PPG:
Puustinen: .38
Glass: .32

I didn't say don't give Glass a look. I said Puustinen is the better player and should be given preference. Someone gets hurt, by all means insert Glass.

And at 23, Glass put up 15 goals and 35 points in 72 games.

I don't know. It seems weird that this board is so down on Glass.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
And at 23, Glass put up 15 goals and 35 points in 72 games.

I don't know. It seems weird that this board is so down on Glass.
I'm much less down on Glass than I am high on Puustinen.

I want to see Glass... there is a chance he could pop here (good or bad)
And I hope he does! I just think Puustinen is the better player and should be treated as such until one of them proves otherwise.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Boy who could have ever guessed bringing in like a dozen filler forwards and not trading any of the old dozen filler forwards would have caused complications and logjams? Almost like that was the point.

But hey... second and third round picks or something.
Glass probably wasn't available when FA started. So they brought in Beauvillier and Lizotte. That by itself was overkill.

The Glass trade would have been great if there wasn't already a logjam.

I hate how GMKK approaches the bottom-six.

Heh. Even the top-six.

Let's grab 21 mostly mid players and throw them at 13, maybe 14 roster spots and see what sticks.

I still think Bemstrom pulls an Andreas Johnsson and bolts for Sweden this fall.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Boy who could have ever guessed bringing in like a dozen filler forwards and not trading any of the old dozen filler forwards would have caused complications and logjams? Almost like that was the point.

But hey... second and third round picks or something.
I generally agree with this logjam being predictable, but Dubas can still salvage the situation by waiving the dead weight. I will save my outrage for if/when they lose something worthwhile to waivers.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Glass probably wasn't available when FA started. So they brought in Beauvillier and Lizotte. That by itself was overkill.

The Glass trade would have been great if there wasn't already a logjam.

I hate how this team approaches the bottom-six.

Heh. Even the top-six.

I still think Bemstrom pulls an Andreas Johnsson and bolts for Sweden this fall.

I guess at least the days where Penguins fans were pounding on the table for a like 15M dollar third line while the top six plays with trash are largely gone.

Now it's just ALL trash!

I generally agree with this logjam being predictable, but Dubas can still salvage the situation by waiving the dead weight. I will save my outrage for if/when they lose something worthwhile to waivers.

True. We'll see. I feel like it's inevitable that something frustrating will be lost but it's not worth getting super bent about til it happens.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Waiving Puustinen is dumb but whatever. He might not get claimed. Last year teams were stupidly conservative with their waiver claims and let good players go unclaimed.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sully and the Core will hang themselves on such philosophies though as they'll plummet down the standings, once they show their ass Kyle will accelerate the youth movement and fire Sullivan! But we need to fall a bit 1st. That'll take at least one or two years. By then even the dinosaurs will lose their grip. In the mean time we'll be banking picks and prospects.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I know I’ve been very vocal about how Puustinen won’t be waived, but if they waive him to keep 8D up, I’m going to have an aneurysm :laugh:

Would be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen this team do in years, waive Puustinen so you can keep f***ing Ludvig as the #8D.
They might have to for opening night if Karlsson isn't ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad