GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk how many teams can be 9 deep at D and be ok. Not worried about the 7-8-9 guys as much.

I mean idk on the F depth either. Not seeing this great depth. There’s just like 10 guys outside the top 6 who are serviceable. No strong 3rd liners who can carry a decent 3rd line or anything. So sure the depth is plentiful but TBD if it’s good.

When I say depth in this context, I mean injury replacements. The guys they have to call up from WBS at forward are significantly better than the ones they had last year.

I think the big issue with their defense is that they already have issues with their top-6, mainly with Graves and Grzelcyk to a lesser extent, and they also don't have many good call-ups in WBS. I like Aho and am intrigued with Kral, but that's really about it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
To be honest after one period I haven't seen anyone new where I'm like "that guy should make the team".

Puustinen was our most dangerous player offensively imo. He looked good. But we already know he's an NHLer and should make the team. DOC was DOC.

McGroarty, Koivunen, and Broz had some nice moments but nothing to make them stand out too much.

I'd like to see more out of Glass than I saw that period, but he's got a history of being an NHLer so not too worried there. But he looked fine.

Reactions: vodeni and Al Smith

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
McGroarty and Doc look good, they have in camp and in scrimmages, they need to change up the RW there, maybe swap Cody Harkins down and into C and put Broz on the wing.

Gotta utilize that insane top 10 pick pedigree somehow.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I love McG - And all the prospect games and this preseason one are shit to eval - BUT every time I watch I think 1 more year at school would’ve served him well. He needs core and lower body strength more than anything.

Speed of game not too fast, he’s real smart, dangerous in the spots he gets in. But really needs some explosion/quicks/strength. Looks weak in his core and lower body.

Idk if A is place for that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would love for McG to turn into a Hornqvist or Kunitz-type. Would also be great for him to already be in place and a seasoned vet for the future top-5 picks this team's gonna be accumulating in short order.
He certainly skates like Hornqvist lol. Legs churning but not really getting anywhere. :laugh:

I'm not trying to be critical. We all knew it was his weakness. It is what it is. His strengths were also on display that period.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He certainly skates like Hornqvist lol. Legs churning but not really getting anywhere. :laugh:

I'm not trying to be critical. We all knew it was his weakness. It is what it is. His strengths were also on display that period.
It’s def more pronounced than it was in college. So hard to tell between levels. For instance I actually watched a decent bit of Broz the past 2 years at Denver because of how much they got on ESPN, but he looks a decent bit bigger on an NHL rink with an NHL broadcast than I expected.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought our Penguins pbp team and analysts were dumb, then I see the Sabres duo.
Eh, Bourque and Errey are goofy but their hockey knowledge is generally good imo. My main complaint with Bourque has always been him being unreasonably hard on Geno, but that's every tosser (to borrow one of your phrases) in Pittsburgh media.

Agree about the Sabres though lol.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Yeah, if his hockey IQ is good enough he'll be fine imo. Big if, though.

Reactions: Pancakes

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I find it really weird to be rallying against Koivunen right now when he looked really good in the prospect tournament and has the primary assist on the first goal today. Yes, his acceleration is a problem, but the hockey IQ and puck skills are clearly evident.

I’m worried about his skating and hated the Jake trade but would love it if that guy turns into a useful NHL player.

He’s obviously not making the roster but it will be good to see him play some N.A. hockey in a top 6 role. I don’t see him being a bottom 6 guy so it makes sense he gets the playing time in the AHL.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Eh, Bourque and Errey are goofy but their hockey knowledge is generally good imo. My main complaint with Bourque has always been him being unreasonably hard on Geno, but that's every tosser (to borrow one of your phrases) in Pittsburgh media.

Agree about the Sabres though lol.
Bourque is more of a homer than Steigy is, you almost rarely if ever, get any unbiased opinions from him. Errey to me is fine as the goofy personality that often will gush about players on both sides and I am fine with that. I actually really liked Bartkowski on the panel and wish they would have used him more, it was refreshing to hear someone that just told it like it is and didn’t sound like he was afraid of being taken off air for criticizing the Penguins.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the team would be making the right decision to have McGroarty start in the AHL and then only get called up when he's firmly top-6 ready. I'd probably call him NHL or really damn close to it right now, but I think letting him spend more time in the AHL to get even better will really help him.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I love McG - And all the prospect games and this preseason one are shit to eval - BUT every time I watch I think 1 more year at school would’ve served him well. He needs core and lower body strength more than anything.

Speed of game not too fast, he’s real smart, dangerous in the spots he gets in. But really needs some explosion/quicks/strength. Looks weak in his core and lower body.

Idk if A is place for that.
Keep him in the NHL and get him some strength and skating coaches, imo. Ain't gonna find better facilities or professionals than while in the NHL.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
To be honest after one period I haven't seen anyone new where I'm like "that guy should make the team".

Puustinen was our most dangerous player offensively imo. He looked good. But we already know he's an NHLer and should make the team. DOC was DOC.

McGroarty, Koivunen, and Broz had some nice moments but nothing to make them stand out too much.

I'd like to see more out of Glass than I saw that period, but he's got a history of being an NHLer so not too worried there. But he looked fine.
We got to see a lot more on the defensive side than offensive that period. The D trying to make the team had some good and bad moments. 45 had a nice play to turn away from pressure and look up the ice and make a nice outlet pass. But I think that was after a giveaway. But he's going back to juniors. Shea, Ludvig are what they are: tweeners. Clurman, Holowell not overwhelmed also looked like AHL/tweener fodder. But it''s only one period.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m worried about his skating and hated the Jake trade but would love it if that guy turns into a useful NHL player.

He’s obviously not making the roster but it will be good to see him play some N.A. hockey in a top 6 role. I don’t see him being a bottom 6 guy so it makes sense he gets the playing time in the AHL.

I think he's a perfect fit for Malkin's LW, it's just a question of whether Malkin has retired or not when Koivunen is ready for the role. He's a surefire playmaking middle-6 winger if he fixes his acceleration.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Keep him in the NHL and get him some strength and skating coaches, imo. Ain't gonna find better facilities or professionals than while in the NHL.
Not really about the coaching or facilities tbh- he works with Barb Underhill. I just think the biggest pro of the NCAA schedule- play 30-40 games all on weekends and have the whole week off in one place — lends itself much better to building muscle and training than 70+ games riding buses.

Also UM has some sweet facilities for their athletes haha

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad