GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Clurman is best skating absolute plug I’ve seen in a bit :laugh:
He’s a smart defensive defenseman, the fact he rushed up there was funny to see out of him, but yeah he can skate and has good size to be a shutdown defender. I like him as the 7th.

Pettersson, Karlsson
Grzelcyk, Letang
Aho, St Ivany
Clurman

I don’t really care who we lose between Shea and Ludvig. I wish I didn’t have to think about Graves at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know it's silly to ask this in a meaningless pre-season game, especially with why Buffalo is playing basically their full NHL team today, but I'm honestly not even sure what you can take out of this game if you're Sullivan with playing such an inferior team.

I don't even really know how you can realistically evaluate the players in this kind of game with this lopsided of matchups. The 3 NHLers they have in this game are O'Connor, a guy they got paid a 3rd to take (Glass) and a guy who was heinously bad last year (Graves).

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Does feel like no bigger price UFAs have really worked in this era

Gonchar, Martin were good

def missing someone else but no one really comes to mind

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There is nothing you can take out of this game given what is in front of him.
You can always evaluate how a player looks technically on the ice. The score is irrelevant. Blomqvist getting lit up is irrelevant.

But how does he look in the net technically? Can he control rebounds? Is he jumpy or composed? These are things you can evaluate in a player's game regardless of how lopsided the rosters are.

You can evaluate fowards/dmen along similar lines. How are they positioning themselves? Can they accept passes at NHL speed? Can they position their body after receiving passes such that they can quickly transition to make another play? etc

There is the danger in reading too much into one performance. I wouldn't write off Blomqvist as not being ready just based on what I've seen in this game. I'd like to see him again this preseason.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I know it's silly to ask this in a meaningless pre-season game, especially with why Buffalo is playing basically their full NHL team today, but I'm honestly not even sure what you can take out of this game if you're Sullivan with playing such an inferior team.
This would be an opportunity to try things, tweaks in the way the Penguins play and try combinations, but instead he’s just kept it all the same and I don’t get what he’s getting out of this at all.

That DoC and Rutger look good together? Not surprised, the rest is designed to not really do anything. Ponomarev and Puustinen look good but aren’t getting much traction.

It’s a typical Sullivan saying look here I am trying this and it’s not working, while also not trying anything.

Reactions: Darren McCord

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think it's intangibles and the little details - who is where they need to be, who is still skating hard and fighting for pucks, who is making the right reads.

You can't focus on results or production in this kind of mess. But given that this is 95% guys fighting for roster spots or trying to climb the ladder, compete level shouldn't be in question. If it is, you learn a lot about those players who start coasting.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It's funny to me how JJ went a won a cup within a few years playing exactly the role he should've here.
It’s wild how when a coach actually does some due diligence on how to use certain players, can actually squeeze out some effective play out of them.

But no sir, not this top 5 coach in the NHL. You play a role you are given, your skills or lack there of to make it work be damned.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This would be an opportunity to try things, tweaks in the way the Penguins play and try combinations, but instead he’s just kept it all the same and I don’t get what he’s getting out of this at all.

That DoC and Rutger look good together? Not surprised, the rest is designed to not really do anything. Ponomarev and Puustinen look good but aren’t getting much traction.

Yeah I think this context is what I was referring to most. If you could match up a line like Koivunen-Broz-Puustinen versus Buffalo's 3rd line, you could maybe get an idea of where those guys are at right now because they're playing against similar matchups that they could be playing against in the NHL. But going up against Tage Thompson? Yeah no shit they're going to get blown up.

I think it's intangibles and the little details - who is where they need to be, who is still skating hard and fighting for pucks, who is making the right reads.

You can't focus on results or production in this kind of mess. But given that this is 95% guys fighting for roster spots or trying to climb the ladder, compete level shouldn't be in question. If it is, you learn a lot about those players who start coasting.

They're wasting a pre-season game if "compete level" is something they're looking for.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You can always evaluate how a player looks technically on the ice. The score is irrelevant. Blomqvist getting lit up is irrelevant.

But how does he look in the net technically? Can he control rebounds? Is he jumpy or composed? These are things you can evaluate in a player's game regardless of how lopsided the rosters are.

You can evaluate fowards/dmen along similar lines. How are they positioning themselves? Can they accept passes at NHL speed? Can they position their body after receiving passes such that they can quickly transition to make another play? etc

There is the danger in reading too much into one performance. I wouldn't write off Blomqvist as not being ready just based on what I've seen in this game. I'd like to see him again this preseason.

D environment heavily effects goaltending.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Clurman was getting healthy scratched in the AHL last year.
Colorado Eagles are a terrible team offensively, so I’m not shocked, they barely got offense out of that squad to even win as many as they did, Brad Hunt lead that team with 49pts. I wouldn’t read too much into that.

Reactions: Jacob

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Mind I remind you Sully’s teams were coasting against jackets and Chicago when play offs were on line

Reactions: akapidots

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I'm not sure the effort part of it matters much. Nobody is going to be playing lazy in a preseason game that isn't guaranteed a spot. Like Jeff Carter woulda been lazy tonight. But none of these young guys trying to make it are going to be.

But yes reads and technical ability etc are all things you can look at regardless of how lopsided the rosters are

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I think this context is what I was referring to most. If you could match up a line like Koivunen-Broz-Puustinen versus Buffalo's 3rd line, you could maybe get an idea of where those guys are at right now because they're playing against similar matchups that they could be playing against in the NHL. But going up against Tage Thompson? Yeah no shit they're going to get blown up.

They're wasting a pre-season game if "compete level" is something they're looking for.
Sullivan doesn’t match, he just feels any line should go up against any line they throw out there, which will always be funny to me.

But not even changing up the lines to just try things or give these lads a chance is just pure ignorance. Imagine busting your ass to prove yourself to someone that already had his mind made up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad