Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And they should have traded him. A good GM should take advantage of the league's overvaluation of big defensemen with no puck skill. The Avs getting Manson as a rental was admittedly a fantastic move that helped them win the Cup, retaining him (especially at the expense of Kadri) was where they went wrong.
And it resulted in having to move Byram and a first.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm curious how re-signing Josh Manson meant we had to move Bo Byram and a 1st.

If anything, Toews' extension and Bo's subpar play made the move necessary.
Bo was needed to get Mitts… who was needed to replace Kadri. The 1st was partially the cost to get rid of RyJo (another attempt to replace Kadri) and build up the defense. So arguably half of that cost.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It's well documented the Avs knew Byram was going to leave when he had control over his destination. The Avs got ahead of it.

But I completely agree they should have extended Kadri over Manson and just kept Byram until he hit UFA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's well documented the Avs knew Byram was going to leave when he had control over his destination. The Avs got ahead of it.

But I completely agree they should have extended Kadri over Manson and just kept Byram until he hit UFA.
Or use Byram to get a RD. Plenty of ways to go about it. The signing of Manson prior to Kadri was simply a mistake.

Reactions: Ararana

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Or use Byram to get a RD. Plenty of ways to go about it. The signing of Manson prior to Kadri was simply a mistake.
Meh. They had no one to replace Manson (and still don't, hence keeping him) but they thought they had someone to replace an aging Kadri who wanted a 7 or 8 year contract after a career year.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Meh. They had no one to replace Manson (and still don't, hence keeping him) but they thought they had someone to replace an aging Kadri who wanted a 7 or 8 year contract after a career year.
The Manson type D are available every deadline. The Kadri contract will age like raw milk in the south… but it would have been good the last two seasons. The more important ones. Punting in the 2C role hurt this team a lot.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Manson type D are available every deadline. The Kadri contract will age like raw milk in the south… but it would have been good the last two seasons. The more important ones. Punting in the 2C role hurt this team a lot.
We probably could have gotten Kadri for shorter or cheaper too. But its not just Kadri for Manson though, not like we had another 3M sitting around (this is before we knew landy would be out 2 years).

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The version of Manson we've seen the past two years is EASILY replaceable. And yes, there was plenty of evidence to indicate that regression was going to happen because it was already well underway when they got him in the first place.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Kadri's gone and he's not f***ing coming back

We're bitching over missed opportunities due to errant priorities, not hoping they find a way to bring Kadri back.

At the time Kadri was in the top 5 most important players on the Avs, arguably top 3. And they choose to keep a #4 defenseman over him when they obviously had no in-house replacement at second line center - not-agruably the most important position in hockey.

That decision was the beginning of the end for this Avs core. Ironically, it was cMac's first decision as offical GM :laugh:

1726609398481.png

1726609347633.png

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
man there's a lot of revisionist history in this thread. I loved the guy but there was no way the Avs could have kept Kadri. Everyone and their dog knew he was going to get disastrously overpaid after putting in a career-best performance at age 32, while Newhook looked like a promising replacement on a league-minimum salary. Overpaying Kadri also probably would have meant losing Nichushkin, and at the time there was no question that Val was the most important FA to bring back. I wasn't a fan of the Manson contract (I thought they should have kept Burakovsky lolololol) but it was easy to see why the team elected to bring back all starting 6 defensemen, especially when it gave them 3 LD and 3 RD with decent versatility for special teams.

and top 3 most important player? The fab 5 plus Byram & Nichushkin were clearly more important in the cup run. Maybe Lehkonen too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
man there's a lot of revisionist history in this thread. I loved the guy but there was no way the Avs could have kept Kadri. Everyone and their dog knew he was going to get disastrously overpaid after putting in a career-best performance at age 32, while Newhook looked like a promising replacement on a league-minimum salary. Overpaying Kadri also probably would have meant losing Nichushkin, and at the time there was no question that Val was the most important player to bring back. I wasn't a fan of the Manson contract (I thought they should have kept Burakovsky lolololol) but it was easy to see why the team elected to bring back all starting 6 defensemen, especially when it gave them 3 LD and 3 RD with decent versatility for special teams.

and top 3 most important player? The fab 5 plus Byram & Nichushkin were clearly more important in the cup run. Maybe Lehkonen too.
The Avs and Kadri both tried to make it work until the last second. To the point of trying to move EJ. The Avs wanted him, just not above Manson.
Yea but at the time the thinking was Newhook could replace Kadri but there was no one to replace Manson.
It was plan as day that Newhook wasn’t going to be a 2C. If they actually thought that, the scouts should be fired immediately. That isn’t revisionist, I was screaming that prior to it happening.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It was plan as day that Newhook wasn’t going to be a 2C. If they actually thought that, the scouts should be fired immediately.
There's no "if" there. Management went public that summer saying they'd give Newhook a chance until Christmas and then figure something out for the 2C spot if need be.

Of course Bednar had other plans, he played Newhook 2 games at center and then it was a JTC love fest.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
There's no Cup without Manson.

And there was never going to be a 2nd Cup with that core without Landy, regardless if they shipped out G to keep Kadri or not.

That team captured lightning in a bottle, had one of, if not the best TDL in franchise history and went on to completely dominate the playoffs as a result. Replicating that feat is nearly impossible, so I'm just happy they did what they did.

I don't expect another Cup

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There's no "if" there. Management went public that summer saying they'd give Newhook a chance until Christmas and then figure something out for the 2C spot if need be.

Of course Bednar had other plans, he played Newhook 2 games at center and then it was a JTC love fest.
They said he was an option not that they thought that. I stand by it that there was near zero chance of success there and it should have been very obvious.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
We're bitching over missed opportunities due to errant priorities, not hoping they find a way to bring Kadri back.

At the time Kadri was in the top 5 most important players on the Avs, arguably top 3. And they choose to keep a #4 defenseman over him when they obviously had no in-house replacement at second line center - not-agruably the most important position in hockey.

That decision was the beginning of the end for this Avs core. Ironically, it was cMac's first decision as offical GM :laugh:

View attachment 907573

View attachment 907572
"Chose to" as in they made a generous offer and Kadri was choosing between them and us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad