Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just don't think he's that good. No offense whatsoever and he's hardly an elite shutdown defender. He's just...really big. That's a lot to be paying a middle-pairing guy who's merely "good" on his best day.

Building around guys like this is a huge reason why Seattle remains inept offensively.
Meh, it has got to be hard to build a team when you don't even have a core.

I just see Seattle becoming Carolina-West. Ronnie Franchise took that team straight into the depths of hell known as the mushy middle.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Did you watch any of their first round loss to Boston?

He didn't play a single game on anything but the 3rd/4th lines.
Sure. They also lost Bertuzzi. There are literally no other top-6 wingers than Robertson and Knies.

And the reason he wanted a trade was because he was on Keefe's doghouse. He actually was pretty damn good at scoring goals with the limited amount of time he had.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not really, he's going to be in their top-6 and that was the case all the time. Which is kinda crazy why he held out for this long.
There's no chance Robertson is in the Top 6 for them.

I mean, he isn't even going to play for them. He still gets traded before the season starts. Or waived and claimed I bet.

Sure. They also lost Bertuzzi. There are literally no other top-6 wingers than Robertson and Knies.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Knies, Domi.

Robertson ain't beating any of those guys for a Top 6 spot. Quite frankly McMann and Pacioretty probably get the call into the Top 6 before him as well.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There's no chance Robertson is in the Top 6 for them.

I mean, he isn't even going to play for them. He still gets traded before the season starts. Or waived and claimed I bet.
Well, Seravalli seems to agree with you. But literally every Leafs related podcast and blog has been pretty adamant that he would've been in their top-6. It's not about if he's earned it, they literally have NO ONE ELSE. They are going to put a guy like Bobby McMann there if they don't have Robertson. It's that bad. They have zero left wingers after Knies.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Knies, Domi.

Robertson ain't beating any of those guys for a Top 6 spot. Quite frankly McMann and Pacioretty probably get the call into the Top 6 before him as well.
Tavares is not playing in the top-6.

Look, I'm not sitting here arguing for Robertson. I'm literally just repeating what every Leaf fan has said during the last few months.

Reactions: Alienblood

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Training camps should start a month earlier and the playoffs should finish a month earlier as well.

We want hockey now, not at the end of June. Cup awarded 3 days before the draft is dumb.
I might remember wrong, but IIRC LeBrun (or someone) reported that the schedule might be revamped a bit in the future to start the season earlier.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Training camps should start a month earlier and the playoffs should finish a month earlier as well.

We want hockey now, not at the end of June. Cup awarded 3 days before the draft is dumb.
First week of September is camp. Second week is pre-season. Regular season begins on Sept. 15th. Condense the schedule if you need to but get the playoffs completed before June 1st. Hockey in June is travesty, there's not a building in the league that has good ice in June.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I might remember wrong, but IIRC LeBrun (or someone) reported that the schedule might be revamped a bit in the future to start the season earlier.
It is likely to start as 'we're going to start earlier and Cup by early June' and evolve into more regular season games (and once Bettman steps down) playoff expansion to end at the same point as now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Any new updates/rumors about Mikko's contract?
Since what Friedman said on Friday? Not to my knowledge.

Rantanen isn't in Denver yet, right? Talks probably intensify when he gets there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not great but a bit better than what we have. I'd hate adding 2 games though....it would once again f*** with individual stats.
It's about revenue and cutting travel costs (it'll be more regional and grouped under the new schedule... IE may play Minny twice on the road in a row). The average ticket price in the NHL is around $70 and the average attendance is around $17,500. With those extra games, you're around 40m in pure ticket sales. Plus a little extra ad revenue and national and regional TV revenue. Not unrealistic that change brings in $65-70m in HRR alone. 84 is just the precursor to 86 though.

The NHL used to have an 84 game regular season before too.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Regular season should start within the last week of September then, and end within the last week of March. Playoffs start be April 5th.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

Cup was only awarded 3 days before the draft because the league was still playing catch-up due to COVID stuff. Before COVID, finals usually ended like June 10-15.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
With Larsson resigning in Seattle our heavy RHD trade deadline candidates list gets smaller than it already was. Will Borgen and David Savard can fill in on 3rd next to Brannstrom or Kylington depending on which ever reclamation project is more successful (my money is on Brannstrom).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
84 games just makes so much sense given the 32 team league and 8 team divisions we have right now.

82 makes it awkward and doesn't really math out very well... But at 84 it breaks down really easily:

- 2 Games(1 Home, 1 Away) against the 16 teams in the other conference = 32 Games.
- 3 Games(Trading the 2H 1A) against the 8 teams in the other division in your conference = 24 Games.
- 4 Games(2 Home, 2 Away) again the 7 other teams in your own division = 28 games.

32+24+28 = 84 Games.

Personally, I really wish they'd lean even more into the divisional stuff. I'd drop the 3 games against the 8 teams in the other division to just 2 games, and then play your own division 5 times instead of 4, for an 83 game schedule overall.

Reactions: The Moops

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
Did Dreger say Hakanpaa was going to sign next in Toronto? Pretty sure he did like July 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad