Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Im confused. Why shouldn’t Rants contract be based on winger comps plus inflation?

Doesn’t that seem like the absolute most realistic scenario?
It was auto correct, sorry didn't catch it. His contract absolutely should be based on winger comps like Bread and Pasta. Guys like 29, Matthews and Draisaitl aren't comps.

Reactions: EdAVSfan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It was auto correct, sorry didn't catch it. His contract absolutely should be based on winger comps like Bread and Pasta. Guys like 29, Matthews and Draisaitl aren't comps.
Bread’s contract percentage applied to the expected cap is >13m and Pasta’s is 12.5m.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Wow the discussion about mikko's next deal is strange.

The people opposed keep suggesting that if he's traded - the only thing we'd be able to get is futures which I find weird.

Why is the choice - signing #96 to a huge contract OR only getting picks/prospects in return and nothing in between? Doesn't make sense to me.
The Avs wouldn't trade Rantanen for purely futures.

I believe there is certainly a way for the Avs to get younger while trading Rantanen and maybe not have that much of a drop-off.

Just look at a guy like Necas. He just signed the ROR 2-year deal in Carolina - they are going to trade him at some point. He's making $6.5M for the next 2 years...that adds cap flexibility and you get younger for a couple of years. When he's up in 2 years, he's probably still not looking for anything near $12M.

Brady Tkachuk we keep hearing off-and-on that he's 'unhappy' in Ottawa - that guy makes $8.2M over the next 4 years...that would be a sweet top line winger to add.

Both these guys could potentially be available - both those teams needs a 'jump start' for sure.

Both these players are not as good as Mikko scoring-wise but I'd be willing to bet that they could be about 75-80% as productive playing with Mack and on the top PP... when you offset that with the cap savings, you really have to think about it.

I know that with time we tend to forget and the just look at the stats sheet but I was extremely disappointed with mikko's season and effort level for the majority of last season. I understand fully that he had a very productive season but he was very much grabbing on to #29's MVP season - almost in a Rob Brown* sort of way.

(*Rob Brown put up 115 pts playing on the top line in Pittsburgh playing with Mario Lemieux when Mario put up 199 pts in 1988-89 - it wasn't that extreme but it was at least a bit similar)

I don't think the Avs should be afraid to make this kind of deal. The Panthers did it with Huberdeau and look how much they benefitted. The idea is that you do what's best for the future of the franchise and the way Rantanen looked to me last year - I certainly would be very nervous about signing him to a massive long-term extension.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's a misconception that we'd trade Rants to get younger. The only reason you trade him is to redistribute his cap hit in the current lineup to try to win another cup with Mack and Makar, the 2nd best center in the league and the best defenseman in the league.

Chances are we'll never have a combo like that in their prime ever again.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

The people opposed keep suggesting that if he's traded - the only thing we'd be able to get is futures which I find weird.

Why is the choice - signing #96 to a huge contract OR only getting picks/prospects in return and nothing in between? Doesn't make sense to me.

I believe there is certainly a way for the Avs to get younger while trading Rantanen and maybe not have that much of a drop-off.

Just look at a guy like Necas. He just signed the ROR 2-year deal in Carolina - they are going to trade him at some point. He's making $6.5M for the next 2 years...that adds cap flexibility and you get younger for a couple of years. When he's up in 2 years, he's probably still not looking for anything near $12M.

Brady Tkachuk we keep hearing off-and-on that he's 'unhappy' in Ottawa - that guy makes $8.2M over the next 4 years...that would be a sweet top line winger to add.

Both these guys could potentially be available - both those teams needs a 'jump start' for sure.

Both these players are not as good as Mikko scoring-wise but I'd be willing to bet that they could be about 75-80% as productive playing with Mack and on the top PP... when you offset that with the cap savings, you really have to think about it.

I know that with time we tend to forget and the just look at the stats sheet but I was extremely disappointed with mikko's season and effort level for the majority of last season. I understand fully that he had a very productive season but he was very much grabbing on to #29's MVP season - almost in a Rob Brown* sort of way.

(*Rob Brown put up 115 pts playing on the top line in Pittsburgh playing with Mario Lemieux when Mario put up 199 pts in 1988-89 - it wasn't that extreme but it was at least a bit similar)

I don't think the Avs should be afraid to make this kind of deal. The Panthers did it with Huberdeau and look how much they benefitted. The idea is that you do what's best for the future of the franchise and the way Rantanen looked to me last year - I certainly would be very nervous about signing him to a massive long-term extension.
Would you trade Rantanen for an Avs version of Burakovsky? That’s what Necas would be here, maybe a little bit better than Bura when he was here but roughly the same level of player. The cap flexibility would help, but at this point in the season you can’t utilize the extra cap space nearly as well.

Also for the futures talk… majority of the comparable trades in a Mikko trade include all futures. And even if you are looking to make that trade with Mikko you need to find a team that can 1) afford his next deal and 2) Mikko is actually willing to sign for.

Reactions: shadow1

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Go find a list of trades that are similar to Mikko's situation where it isn't futures based.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Friedman this morning basically saying the Draisaitl deal has complicated the Rantanen's contract negotiations. He says he still believes Rantanen stays, but the numbers have changed.

Then he goes on to talk about how expensive MacKinnon is, and how expensive Makar will soon be, and implies how screwed the Avs are if they signed Rantanen :laugh:. Naysayers look away!

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Friedman this morning basically saying the Draisaitl deal has complicated the Rantanen's contract negotiations. He says he still believes Rantanen stays, but the numbers have changed.

Then he goes on to talk about how expensive MacKinnon is, and how expensive Makar will soon be, and implies how screwed the Avs are if they signed Rantanen :laugh:. Naysayers look away!

It is pretty simple... Drai got a light percentage of cap above MacK. Rants will want a slight increase above Pasta or Bread. Which is the target will determine if he's wanting around MacK's deal or north of 13m.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Then he goes on to talk about how expensive MacKinnon is, and how expensive Makar will soon be, and implies how screwed the Avs are if they signed Rantanen
He's right.

Unless we can get rid of Nuke and Landy, then we'd be fine.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Coach rankings on NHL.com. Bednar is certainly not as high as you'd think. He's as low as #12 on some lists.

I didn't look too closely but it looks like only one moron put Bednar at #12.

It's all subjective. I'm obviously a big fan of Bednar's but I wouldn't rank him #1. That's Cooper AINEC.

Beyond that, meh, most coaches don't even stick around long enough to be ranked these days.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Would you trade Rantanen for an Avs version of Burakovsky? That’s what Necas would be here, maybe a little bit better than Bura when he was here but roughly the same level of player. The cap flexibility would help, but at this point in the season you can’t utilize the extra cap space nearly as well.

Also for the futures talk… majority of the comparable trades in a Mikko trade include all futures. And even if you are looking to make that trade with Mikko you need to find a team that can 1) afford his next deal and 2) Mikko is actually willing to sign for.
I would do B.Tkachuk for Rantanen - 1 for 1 rather easily.

I wouldn't trade Rantanen for Necas straight-up for sure but if he's the main piece and then you add 1 or 2 solid pieces, I'd look at it for sure.

I think Necas is significantly better than Burakovsky, personally.

I don't think losing Rantanen for nothing is a good idea but it's probably even a better idea than giving him a massive bag and then having him become even lazier than he was last year and having him for 8 years after that.

Bottom line - if the Avs sign him and he doesn't get back to what he previously was - and I'm talking strictly effort-wise here - we are f***ed.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

There’s some logic to Ottawa. Tkachuk or Batherson hold appeal. He’d be a great line mate for Stützle. But would Rantanen want to play there?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The closest trade we have for Brady is his brother. Which Hubi is the Rants in the Hubi + Weegar + 1st for Cheese deal. 2 more big pieces going out. People shouldn't forget how highly valued Weegar is in that deal... he was the other target for the Avs when they grabbed Toews. Pretty much zero chance Ottawa trades Brady right now. If they did, it costs a hell of a lot more than just Rantanen.

Elite players in their 20s, in their final year don't get moved very often. When they do, it is almost always for a group of futures as the team acquiring is trying to get better in that season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Personally I would have zero issues dealing Rantanen + Girard + 2026 1st for Tkachuk.

Actually I would add quite a bit more still quite frankly to make sure we win the bidding.

For next year we'd be at:

Tkachuk(8.2) - Mack(12.6) - Drouin(4.0?)
Landy(7.0) - Mitts(5.75) - Lehky(4.5
Nuke(6.125) - Colton(4.0) - LOC(3.0?)
Wood(2.5) - Random(1.0) - Random(1.0)

Toews(7.25) - Makar(9.0)
???? - Manson(4.5)
Random(1.0) - Random(1.0)

????
Annunen

By my rough, cap friendly-less math, that team would be coming in at $83.25M. With a $92.5M cap for next year, that would leave $9.25M to grab a 2LD, a #1G, and then a 13F and 7D.

Keeping in mind some of those 1.0s will be more like 0.8s. They could spend $3.75M on a new #1G, $4.5M on a 2LD, and then be left with enough for a couple 0.8 depth guys.

It sure would be nice to convince Ottawa to take Wood as part of this equation as well. His $2.5M as a 4th liner really sticks out in a bad way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad