Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If the guy is having a significant surgery how can the Flyers go into negotiation with a straight face saying the guy didn't need it.

The only thing Ryjo did wrong was masquerade as a 2C. And it's really Cmacs fault for thinking Ryjo was a good replacement for JTC.

Not true. Lets assume two scenarios with one being the injury was/is legitimate. If the injury occurred while playing for the Avs, whats his duty to report it? Also when did it happen? The fact that he continued playing while even being at the morning skate the morning he was traded belies the idea he reported it.

Are you about to say maybe he did report it and the Avs knew about this when trading him? Keep in mind that the Avs had to pay extra to get rid of him and might have been better off LTIRing him if the injury was significant enough and he had reported it.

So, what happened strongly suggests that, if injured, Johansen didnt report it. And by not reporting it, hes trying to avoid his obligation while making teams accountable regarding the CBA. The stipulations being cited in the CBA require and injury to be reported and identified for them to apply. This has to be assumed, no?

Then theres the scenario that the injury is being exaggerated/invented which was supported by what occurred above (not reporting the injury) and how he behaved subsequent to the trade. This would include only being injured once sent to Lehigh but also, apparently there is video of him seeming healthy at his wedding. And why is he scheduling his injury so late in the summer?

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Johansen was such a train wreck of a trade. Admittedly I liked the risk when the trade happened, but he never seemed overly motivated to succeed, and his conditioning also seemed to be an issue. Trading a first to get rid of that contract was absolutely worth it.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Johansen was such a train wreck of a trade. Admittedly I liked the risk when the trade happened, but he never seemed overly motivated to succeed, and his conditioning also seemed to be an issue. Trading a first to get rid of that contract was absolutely worth it.
I genuinely have no idea what they were watching during the scouting process or if they even did any. RyJo was cooked before the Avs even acquired him. Thinking he would be the #2C was baffling.

The pro scouting usually hits the mark, it's one of the best things about the organization.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I genuinely have no idea what they were watching during the scouting process or if they even did any. RyJo was cooked before the Avs even acquired him. Thinking he would be the #2C was baffling.

The pro scouting usually hits the mark, it's one of the best things about the organization.
It's the fact that he was free. He literally cost nothing and came 50% retained. It was the cheapest possible move by a notoriously cheap organization.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's the fact that he was free. He literally cost nothing and came 50% retained. It was the cheapest possible move by a notoriously cheap organization.
He wasn't really "free" though. 4M for a team in cap hell is a big deal, especially for a bum like RyJo who was clearly on his last legs.

Reactions: Balthazar

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
No I get that, but he cost zero assets. The Avs wanted to take a shot in the dark by not paying for a potential 2nd line center.

Clearly, they found out why he was free.
It makes sense. That being said the Avs pro scouting has been really strong for a while now. I blind bat could have watched some film of RyJo, asked themselves if he can be the #2C and know the real answer.

He did meet the all important #1 condition though, ex CBJ player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Here's the thing--RyJo had six seasons in his career (IIRC) where he scored 60 or more points, three of those were in Nashville, one of which was split between Lumbus and Nashville. As recently as 2021-22 he amassed he put up 63, and in the 2017 playoffs following a 60-point regular season he put up 13 points in 14 games en route to their run to the Cup Final. As Henchy has pointed out in the past, him getting hurt played a large role in the Preds falling short to the Pens.

His only "bad" seasons prior to 2022-23 were in the pandemic-shortened years, which he followed up with the 63-point season I alluded to earlier. It was only the following season where the bottom dropped out. So really, the scouts had plenty of good stuff to see from him.

So the truth is, even as lazy as soft and indifferent as was, he was still a reasonably effective scorer, and when he actually GAF, a formidable two-way talent. MacFarland and the scouts will likely be wiping the egg off their faces for that deal for a long, long time yet but it wasn't as foolish a move as we like to think in hindsight.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm all for us going for a lottery ticket every now and then. It's a good laugh.

1724261527316.png

We got rid of him easily enough and sourced a legitimate replacement easily enough. Nothing lost, and we'll always have the memories.

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
I know it’s been widely discussed that Avs have been talking extension with Mikko and that’s it’s supposed to be close. But has there been any word on LOC?? I know he’ll be able to get much more than his current as he’s been a very good value contract for what he’s brought.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know it’s been widely discussed that Avs have been talking extension with Mikko and that’s it’s supposed to be close. But has there been any word on LOC?? I know he’ll be able to get much more than his current as he’s been a very good value contract for what he’s brought.
I don’t think LOC comes back after next season. He’ll be able to get a very decent deal for a bottom 6’er that I don’t think we can afford.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd give LOC the Wood contract right now tbh... He can probably get $3-3.5M as a UFA but the 6 year commitment and staying local would have a chance of swaying him I'd like to think.

Give him the Wood contract and next summer send Wood packing.

Reactions: missionAvs

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It makes sense. That being said the Avs pro scouting has been really strong for a while now. I blind bat could have watched some film of RyJo, asked themselves if he can be the #2C and know the real answer.

He did meet the all important #1 condition though, ex CBJ player.
RyJo acquisition screams to me of one of the guys always liking him from way back and banged the table for him. Maybe @henchman21 secretly works for the Avs? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Alienblood

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Cousin Eddie told me this wright at the beginning but I did not believe how bad R.J was.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And why would he sign that?
Why would LOC sign 8x$2.5M?

Well for one, that's $20M.

Even if he got an offer for say 4x$3.5M as a UFA, that'd only be $14M. Then he's turning 33 as a UFA again. The way he plays, good chance he's nearly out of the league at that point.

Something like 6x$2.5M likely gets him more money over the long term versus what he'd get on a 3-4 year UFA deal where he likely finishes the contract as barely an NHL player.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad