Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
At least he takes ownership of what happened. Sounds like two hot heads, getting into it, duing a bad game. Wouldn't be the first time teammates have gotten into it during a game, and we've seen George smack his own Dman with his stick in a game. So, we already know he's feisty. Now, whether that's the entire truth, we'll never know. I doubt George comes out and says anything at this point.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I can almost guarantee a similar thing has happened with Rantanen and Georgiev hahaha except it never got out. Maybe not a headbutt but a yelling match with maybe a slash or 2 lol.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I mean, if they want Annunen+, I’m talking to the Preds for sure. Nabokov isn’t a guarantee and an Askarov/Nabokov tandem sounds fun.

Either way, Annunen isn’t stopping me from calling about Askarov.
Why would Nashville want Annunen as the centerpiece of an Askarov trade? Seems like a bad fit and also a huge downgrade, at least in terms of upside.

Reactions: Chiarelli

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why would Nashville want Annunen as the centerpiece of an Askarov trade? Seems like a bad fit and also a huge downgrade, at least in terms of upside.
Because Askarov has essentially asked for a trade? He has no interest in playing for Nashville, when he has zero shot of becoming a starting goaltender.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They might not. They have their starter either way. I’m not sure Nashville is getting what they originally wanted for him anyway. He’s still all potential with very little NHL experience.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They might not. They have their starter either way. I’m not sure Nashville is getting what they originally wanted for him anyway. He’s still all potential with very little NHL experience.
Asking for a top pick or a prospect is ludicrous by Trotz. Goalies are not worth that, not even the top ones. See what established Vezina-caliber goalies in Markström and Ullmark just got?

And with Saros re-signed, Askarov is not going to make it any easier by signaling he wants out. Trotz played his hand poorly.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It definitely would and I'd gladly pay what it takes for Askarov. I'd love to keep the team competitive for the entire Makar prime.

I don't see it happening though, because like @Muffin said the Avs just spent a ton of draft capital on goalies. You don't do that and then turn around and pay through the nose for a 22 yo starter.
Yeah, but this is the Avs we are talking about. They didn't spend a ton of draft capital on goalies. They wasted a ton of draft capital on goalies.

Reactions: Chiarelli

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why does it feel that way? Did the asking price go down? What the hell am I missing?
Because initially it was "teams inquiring about Askarov", then it became "Trotz expects a top 5-10 pick if he is trading Askarov" to now apparently "Nashville asking around to gauge Askarov's value."

Put 2+2 together. It's quite clear teams (rightfully) balked at Trotz's insane asking price at the draft.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Elliotte says Nashville has been vetting teams about offers for Askarov, and that Askarov wants to play in the NHL next year, not the AHL.

Also,

Well that basically just confirms the report that the Avs and #96 are really close on an extension. "Other teams believe that it will get done..."

Doesn't get any closer than that. :sarcasm:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pierre McGuire said in a podcast that he knows for a fact that Doug Armstrong did the offer sheets because of what the Oilers did to Ken Holland (but Pierre didn't want to elaborate on what the Oilers did exactly).

And now this:

So once again there's an ulterior motive to an offer sheet. They just don't happen naturally.

Sorry @Pokecheque

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Pierre McGuire said in a podcast that he knows for a fact that Doug Armstrong did the offer sheets because of what the Oilers did to Ken Holland (but Pierre didn't want to elaborate on what the Oilers did exactly).

And now this:

So once again there's an ulterior motive to an offer sheet. They just don't happen naturally.

Sorry @Pokecheque
If a team is massively up against the cap AND they leave players they'd prefer to keep unsigned for like 6 weeks throughout the summer because of poor management than they deserve to be offer-sheeted.

My hope is that GM Armstrong made that move to acquire two good players for minimal draft pick compensation because he thinks it's going to make his team better rather than because they decided to move on from kenny. The Oilers actually gave Holland a chance and kept him on for a lot of years...teams move on, it's part of the business and I'm pretty sure these guys know that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My hope is that GM Armstrong made that move to acquire two good players for minimal draft pick compensation because he thinks it's going to make his team better rather than because they decided to move on from kenny.
Yeah but clearly that's not the case.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I was talking about Landeskog, apologies if I worded my post weird. But we obviously know how important to our success and how good of a player he is. I think his situation is more clear. Would anyone really want to take that risk on? Would we even get a fair return if we traded Nuke? Think our best bet is to run it back. Either we get a helluva player back at $6M or he f***s up again and then we can get rid of him Scott free
Ah yes, my apologies as well then. Definitively misunderstood who you were talking about.
I agree. I think the options for Nuke are pretty much set in stone, that is, just hope that he comes back, plays well, and doesn’t falter. I don’t see any other realistic scenarios for him. I guess an agreed upon termination is possible. But I shudder to think of the avs carrying a possible 2-3M penalty for several years.

And while Nule getting caught again is definitely possible, I don’t see how it takes us out of the woods. If anything, it becomes even more uncertain because at that point, he’s suspended and we never know when or if he can return. It’s like he’s on the team but not on the team. Schrodingers Nuke.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Because Askarov has essentially asked for a trade? He has no interest in playing for Nashville, when he has zero shot of becoming a starting goaltender.

So they'd trade him for Annunen? Reminds me of when Duchene asked for a trade and people on the main board were offering a random 3rd liner and a 2nd.

Reactions: Richard88

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
"That kid's a meatball!"
e633ae0e585a6473bb912c0074934818.gif

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I have to wonder if these will be in future negotiations between the league and players. There's gotta be a desire from some people to encourage more and they're certainly a win for the players. I feel like there's a problem in them becoming cost prohibitive at the higher stages. Maybe 3 1sts instead of 4 or allowing substitution of firsts you don't originally own would help open things up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad