Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know how the Wild can fit Laine under the cap...especially since CBJ doesn't want money back or retain (I think they'll be forced to do one or the other if they want to trade him though).

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lets not forget that Hertl and Hannifin barely played for Vegas last year and will be there all year this year. They have their own issues, like Stone's durability and heavily relying on Eichel, but those are the same issues the Avs are facing. I think they are in.
Hanifin isn't a needle mover, and counting on Hertl in his age 31 season given his history of injuries seems like a recipe for disaster.

I just have a hard time penciling in a spot for an old, injury prone team with goaltending issues that just lost its 2nd best forward in free agency.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know how the WIld can fit Laine under the cap...especially since CBJ doesn't want money back or retain (I think they'll be forced to do one or the other if they want to trade him though).
I guess it comes down to whether or not Spurgeon can play this year. If he can't, there's your cap space.

Next year they would have no issue, Faber's extension kicks in but the massive dead cap hits of Suter and Parise go down to less than $1 million, so it frees up a lot of money. But that's not until the summer of 2025.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hanifin isn't a needle mover, and counting on Hertl in his age 31 season given his history of injuries seems like a recipe for disaster.

I just have a hard time penciling in a spot for an old, injury prone team with goaltending issues that just lost its 2nd best forward in free agency.
Hanifin + Hertl > Marchessault

Also Stone may play this season, unlike last year

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hanifin + Hertl > Marchessault

Also Stone may play this season, unlike last year
I think you underscore just how valuable Marchessault was - and has been - to that Vegas squad.

People can cite center depth all day long, but when you are surrounded by garbage on the wings a center isn't going to magically make the line salvageable.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He does get grounded for maintenance more than a Boeing 737.
And FTR I don't think he's faking it. He very likely does have chronic back issues, but I do think, as is the case with most of these LTIR guys who magically heal in time for the playoffs, that they fudge more than a little bit as to just how hurt they really are. Could they come back earlier? Yeah, probably. But we know they won't since it would wreck their cap situation.

I think you underscore just how valuable Marchessault was - and has been - to that Vegas squad.

People can cite center depth all day long, but when you are surrounded by garbage on the wings a center isn't going to magically make the line salvageable.
Dude wasn't their Conn Smythe winner for nothin'. Don't know how well he'll fare down the stretch in Nashville but yeah, I think they'll struggle to score those big goals, that was Marchessault's specialty.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And FTR I don't think he's faking it. He very likely does have chronic back issues, but I do think, as is the case with most of these LTIR guys who magically heal in time for the playoffs, that they fudge more than a little bit as to just how hurt they really are. Could they come back earlier? Yeah, probably. But we know they won't since it would wreck their cap situation.

Dude wasn't their Conn Smythe winner for nothin'. Don't know how well he'll fare down the stretch in Nashville but yeah, I think they'll struggle to score those big goals, that was Marchessault's specialty.
Not only that, look at some of the wingers currently pegged for top-9 minutes: Olofsson, Dorofeyev, Holtz, Brisson. If the kids don't pan out here comes Kolesar, Howden, and/or Roy. We know Stone will sit out 25% of the year, too.

Just an incredibly weak group of wingers that Eichel/Hertl/Karlsson will have to prop up.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not only that, look at some of the wingers currently pegged for top-9 minutes: Olofsson, Dorofeyev, Holtz, Brisson. If the kids don't pan out here comes Kolesar, Howden, and/or Roy. We know Stone will sit out 25% of the year, too.

Just an incredibly weak group of wingers that Eichel/Hertl/Karlsson will have to prop up.
And we even know which 25% he is going to miss.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Vegas has too many question marks but they are also ruthless and they will make space, if someone is not performing. They will be good next season, just because of that.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Yup, I’d take Marchessault over Hertl and Hanifin. Hanifin is kinda overrated and we’ll see with Hertl. He didn’t look like a good fit in Vegas

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yup, I’d take Marchessault over Hertl and Hanifin. Hanifin is kinda overrated and we’ll see with Hertl. He didn’t look like a good fit in Vegas
It's not just Marchessault though, they essentially said they prefer Hertl and Hanifin over Marchessault and Stephenson, with the hope that Samsonov can cover up for them trading away Logan Thompson.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's not just Marchessault though, they essentially said they prefer Hertl and Hanifin over Marchessault and Stephenson, with the hope that Samsonov can cover up for them trading away Logan Thompson.
So Vegas has pretty much downgraded the roster

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Eichel is his usual, uninjured self and Hertl regains his form, IMO they'll be better. At least in the regular season. Playoffs might be a different story.
I’d not even go that far (and yes I know that Marchessault won the Smythe).

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Eichel is his usual, uninjured self and Hertl regains his form, IMO they'll be better. At least in the regular season. Playoffs might be a different story.
Pretty big "ifs" though, especially Hertl. Guy turns 31 in November and already came to Vegas hurt, not to mention his two prior major knee surgeries already.

IMO Vegas' best chances of success will come from loading up the top six. One of Hertl/Karlsson will have to play wing and Nic Roy or Brett Howden will have to play 3C.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Going from Thompson to Samsonov is also a downgrade for Vegas

Reactions: Linds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad