Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it greatly depends on what happens with the cap, does it actually increase as expected or does it stall? We could start to see some big contracts that are predictive of the cap increasing
Next season is 5% (give or take a couple tenths), almost assured of that. The MOU dictates that as a max without negotiation (read increase escrow). The HRR numbers for this past season dictate that it pretty certain. After that, it is all CBA related. Currently, the NHL is having some great news on HRR and in a growth period despite some headwinds. The RSN situation combined with next Canadian TV deal will likely dictate if we stay on this ~5% path or if it stagnates.

It seems the expectation now is that this will continue.

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like Konecny a lot. Plays with jam, has speed, can be reliable defensively and can put up ~70 points.
He's also undersized and can't drive his line. As a winger he shouldn't make more than 7M but Philly is as desperate as it gets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Drai is probably the first domino there. If he gets 14+, then the market is going to follow that very quickly. If he's kept around Matthews, it probably buys another year before McDavid resets the whole thing again. IMO McDavid is likely >15m and 16m is not out of the question.

Yep and McDavid would still be underpaid even at $16M, but so many people are gonna be floored by that deal when it happens.

We're also  probably looking at nearly a $100M cap when his next deal kicks in($88M this year, $92.5M next year, should lead to about a $97-98M cap his first year). So if he gets $16M, that's basically 16% of the cap.

When Sids first year of his $8.7M contract started in 2008-09, the salary cap was $56.7M, so Sid took up 15.35%. Very similar.

And keep in mind Sid wasn't even the highest paid player at that point. Malkin was at $9.5M and I think Ovechkin was higher as well.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I doubt the Avs were looking to dump a defensemen. They have shown they really want to have 5 strong defensemen in the recent years. Even going to the point to have a deal lined up to replace one to trade one.
What deal lined up? Replace who?

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Times they keep changing.

Except my salary. That doesn't increase.
thing I love about salaries - I keep getting older they stay the same age.

Man...I just learned that our yearly bonus will be only 25% of what it was the last 2 years (75% decrease). Combined with inflation I'm poorer this year than I was last year and I'll likely be even poorer next year.
yupppp...... my salary is up less than 20% since I got out of school in 2016 while receiving much less in benefits. Considering inflation through that time I'm for sure making less money. Something something bitcoin......

Reactions: Balthazar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's also undersized and can't drive his line. As a winger he shouldn't make more than 7M but Philly is as desperate as it gets.
Are you cooked? Konecny drives that Flyers offense. Can't drive his own line? He just had a career year and his most common linemates were the corpse of Sean Couturier, Ty Foerster, Owen Tippett, and Morgan Frost.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Already playing the long game and tempering expectations. That's gonna be a salary dump in the end.
Teams can't talk to him because he's in the player assistance program, that sure doesn't help his potential value.

Do we even know why he joined the program in the first place? He joined back in January.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It’s actually my index finger
I figured you'd have shown us that it was the one right next door.

You know...
YARN | STUDENTS: Flip them the bird. - A bird. | Good ...

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Philly as usual refuses to properly rebuild. Standard stuff for them and in a way respectable. However, they do play in a league that more or less demands occasional sucking to stack up on young talent if the intention is to lift a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad